STD Tuning Engine Pictures and info about securing the cam and crank sprockets.

Pictures and info about securing the cam and crank sprockets.

Pictures and info about securing the cam and crank sprockets.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
whipplem104
Holset

03-30-2016, 01:35 PM #51
I was digging around and it seems that the harmonics are transmitted up into the camshafts especially on timing chain engines and this could be a cause for the camshaft issue. Seems like this is something that needs to be dealt with. Custom damper prices are not to bad so I think this is the way to go.
whipplem104
03-30-2016, 01:35 PM #51

I was digging around and it seems that the harmonics are transmitted up into the camshafts especially on timing chain engines and this could be a cause for the camshaft issue. Seems like this is something that needs to be dealt with. Custom damper prices are not to bad so I think this is the way to go.

whipplem104
Holset

03-30-2016, 06:48 PM #52
Doing some more digging and found some really in detail stuff about this. Found that large hubs only making dampening harder and was looking at the N/A hub and realized it was different. It has the bolt together setup and the damper ring is much larger while the hub is much smaller. The later one piece has a much larger hub assembly and smaller damper ring on the outside. The earlier unit may be a much better assembly for these applications. It is also similar to what the m104 uses and I run a 5-600hp at over 7k through a stock pulley for years with no problems but crank harmonics are probably really different even though it is the same architecture.
whipplem104
03-30-2016, 06:48 PM #52

Doing some more digging and found some really in detail stuff about this. Found that large hubs only making dampening harder and was looking at the N/A hub and realized it was different. It has the bolt together setup and the damper ring is much larger while the hub is much smaller. The later one piece has a much larger hub assembly and smaller damper ring on the outside. The earlier unit may be a much better assembly for these applications. It is also similar to what the m104 uses and I run a 5-600hp at over 7k through a stock pulley for years with no problems but crank harmonics are probably really different even though it is the same architecture.

Max
Turbinaaa

03-31-2016, 11:08 AM #53
Thats correct, i also got the Advice from muuris to change my Damper to the om602 2-Piece Damper to avoid that Failure.

03-31-2016, 11:08 AM #53

Thats correct, i also got the Advice from muuris to change my Damper to the om602 2-Piece Damper to avoid that Failure.

whipplem104
Holset

03-31-2016, 11:35 AM #54
The only thing that concerns me is the different flywheel and that the balancer may be tuned different for the cast iron flywheel vs the flexplate one in the newer engines. I have a growing list of questions.
whipplem104
03-31-2016, 11:35 AM #54

The only thing that concerns me is the different flywheel and that the balancer may be tuned different for the cast iron flywheel vs the flexplate one in the newer engines. I have a growing list of questions.

whipplem104
Holset

03-31-2016, 05:03 PM #55
So some interesting news. I talked to a company about getting a damper done. I am going to send both versions out to them to take a look at and get one done. Not to bad overall costs.
The really interesting thing is that he specifically mentioned that around 6k inline engines have terrible harmonics. Blowing through this rpm is ok but staying there for any length of time is really bad. Some people will shift at 5800 rpm to stay out of this harmonic and or just blow through to higher rpms quickly.
whipplem104
03-31-2016, 05:03 PM #55

So some interesting news. I talked to a company about getting a damper done. I am going to send both versions out to them to take a look at and get one done. Not to bad overall costs.
The really interesting thing is that he specifically mentioned that around 6k inline engines have terrible harmonics. Blowing through this rpm is ok but staying there for any length of time is really bad. Some people will shift at 5800 rpm to stay out of this harmonic and or just blow through to higher rpms quickly.

baldur
Fast

03-31-2016, 07:19 PM #56
This is how we prevent high performance 2 stroke crankshafts from walking out of their press fit.
[Image: 10488031_10152580325346662_7814337191568...e=57828468]

Baldur Gislason

baldur
03-31-2016, 07:19 PM #56

This is how we prevent high performance 2 stroke crankshafts from walking out of their press fit.
[Image: 10488031_10152580325346662_7814337191568...e=57828468]

Baldur Gislason

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-01-2016, 10:03 AM #57
Baldur, the 2 stroke mafia would have me killed for getting the TZ crank in my RD350 engine welded. Reducing inertia at the tapered crank snout tend to be enough on the 2 strokes I work onl

Whipplem104, this is an interesting topic. I've enjoyed reading about it. From what I've read, there are 2 different problems at the front of the crank. 1 is the torsional harmonics that can affect the cam, another is bending, which may be what broke your crank.

Diesels are mentioned in particular on the bending issue:

"This bending is driven mostly by the firing force of the first cylinder(s) behind the first main. The force tends to drive the crankpin down and the webs bend sideways like the legs of a bridge. As the force stops, the legs spring back. As a result, there is a rocking motion through the front main that makes the nose of the crank move in the opposite direction to the springing of the first pin. This leads to a vibration caused by the nose of the crank bouncing up, down and sideways. I have seen this get so severe in diesels that the viscous dampers have the internal inertia ring friction-welded to the case making the damper totally lock up. In modified racing engines, it is generally a broken crank nose. In general, heavy pulley or damper packages just aggravate the motion and do nothing to control it."

This page is centered on Porsche flat 6 engines, but I understand a flat 6 crank can have some of the same vibration problems an inline 6 has

http://performancedevelopments.com/porsc...nefailure/
raysorenson
04-01-2016, 10:03 AM #57

Baldur, the 2 stroke mafia would have me killed for getting the TZ crank in my RD350 engine welded. Reducing inertia at the tapered crank snout tend to be enough on the 2 strokes I work onl

Whipplem104, this is an interesting topic. I've enjoyed reading about it. From what I've read, there are 2 different problems at the front of the crank. 1 is the torsional harmonics that can affect the cam, another is bending, which may be what broke your crank.

"This bending is driven mostly by the firing force of the first cylinder(s) behind the first main. The force tends to drive the crankpin down and the webs bend sideways like the legs of a bridge. As the force stops, the legs spring back. As a result, there is a rocking motion through the front main that makes the nose of the crank move in the opposite direction to the springing of the first pin. This leads to a vibration caused by the nose of the crank bouncing up, down and sideways. I have seen this get so severe in diesels that the viscous dampers have the internal inertia ring friction-welded to the case making the damper totally lock up. In modified racing engines, it is generally a broken crank nose. In general, heavy pulley or damper packages just aggravate the motion and do nothing to control it."

This page is centered on Porsche flat 6 engines, but I understand a flat 6 crank can have some of the same vibration problems an inline 6 has

whipplem104
Holset

04-01-2016, 10:46 AM #58
It is a super cool topic. The inherent rpm frequencies is interesting. It seems the inline 6 can have two different frequency ranges that are exceptionally bad. Either low to mid 5k range and the low to mid range 6k range.
We did not break the crank, Just the pulley spun about 12 degrees. Minor chip at the key. No need to remove the crank. Sending the stock dampers out to be evaluated and develop a solution. Then pin it and it seems like pinning the cam gear is a good idea as this is probably the root cause of cam gear rotation. I read that F1 engines this is the major factor in cam timing and that they used dampers on the cam to deal with this. Porsche GT3 and turbo engines have this problem as well etc etc.
whipplem104
04-01-2016, 10:46 AM #58

It is a super cool topic. The inherent rpm frequencies is interesting. It seems the inline 6 can have two different frequency ranges that are exceptionally bad. Either low to mid 5k range and the low to mid range 6k range.
We did not break the crank, Just the pulley spun about 12 degrees. Minor chip at the key. No need to remove the crank. Sending the stock dampers out to be evaluated and develop a solution. Then pin it and it seems like pinning the cam gear is a good idea as this is probably the root cause of cam gear rotation. I read that F1 engines this is the major factor in cam timing and that they used dampers on the cam to deal with this. Porsche GT3 and turbo engines have this problem as well etc etc.

baldur
Fast

04-01-2016, 03:16 PM #59
(04-01-2016, 10:03 AM)raysorenson Baldur, the 2 stroke mafia would have me killed for getting the TZ crank in my RD350 engine welded. Reducing inertia at the tapered crank snout tend to be enough on the 2 strokes I work onl

The 2 stroke crowd I roll with all use big cc engines (at least 700, some as big as 1700cc) , 2-4 cylinders and more often than not, turbocharging or nitrous.

But back on topic, I observed crank whipping on a 4 cylinder turbocharged car engine about 10 years ago, it had a reluctor wheel attached to the front of the crankshaft and one could observe some oddity in both amplitude and shape of the waveform output by the sensor when the engine hit a certain operating speed under boost.
This post was last modified: 04-01-2016, 03:16 PM by baldur.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
04-01-2016, 03:16 PM #59

(04-01-2016, 10:03 AM)raysorenson Baldur, the 2 stroke mafia would have me killed for getting the TZ crank in my RD350 engine welded. Reducing inertia at the tapered crank snout tend to be enough on the 2 strokes I work onl

The 2 stroke crowd I roll with all use big cc engines (at least 700, some as big as 1700cc) , 2-4 cylinders and more often than not, turbocharging or nitrous.

But back on topic, I observed crank whipping on a 4 cylinder turbocharged car engine about 10 years ago, it had a reluctor wheel attached to the front of the crankshaft and one could observe some oddity in both amplitude and shape of the waveform output by the sensor when the engine hit a certain operating speed under boost.

Baldur Gislason

barrote
Superturbo

04-04-2016, 05:54 AM #60
hy fine people....
recently i have been tighgtening one this harmonic balancer in a engine i´m building... i did the extra securing just in case...
To my understanding this key wich holds the harmonic damper and the chain sprocket is not suposed to hold the twist , it seems to me that it is secured only by the bolt and the tight strenght.... i´ve observed that most vibes in this MB engines tend to twist the bolts in the right hand motion... despite i never seen one slipedd , most engines i know are 5 cylinder as mine.
nevertheless i found that there are 2 types of bolt (strenght force) 8.8 and 10.9 and the tightening recomended for both difers being one 200N and 90º and the other one 320N , what i belive some have experienced is caused by deficiency in the tightening procedure...
i have seen some cranks with the snout broken, and some with bolts apart but slipped after being subjected to 200N and 90º in a 22mm 1.50 treads ...
well like every one else i would like to be sure if this is really a problem that afects all engines 5 and 6 cyl, or it is just reported in the 606? and the other thing is that it may be corrected by changing the weight and therefore the resonance vibration, or even with a diff set up for tightening
By the way , i expect to balance my engine with a special balancing device, wich can read vibes in many ways then i´ll post the readings and from that we can understand if there is resonant vibes , unfortunatly it will take time.

Thanks

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-04-2016, 05:54 AM #60

hy fine people....
recently i have been tighgtening one this harmonic balancer in a engine i´m building... i did the extra securing just in case...
To my understanding this key wich holds the harmonic damper and the chain sprocket is not suposed to hold the twist , it seems to me that it is secured only by the bolt and the tight strenght.... i´ve observed that most vibes in this MB engines tend to twist the bolts in the right hand motion... despite i never seen one slipedd , most engines i know are 5 cylinder as mine.
nevertheless i found that there are 2 types of bolt (strenght force) 8.8 and 10.9 and the tightening recomended for both difers being one 200N and 90º and the other one 320N , what i belive some have experienced is caused by deficiency in the tightening procedure...
i have seen some cranks with the snout broken, and some with bolts apart but slipped after being subjected to 200N and 90º in a 22mm 1.50 treads ...
well like every one else i would like to be sure if this is really a problem that afects all engines 5 and 6 cyl, or it is just reported in the 606? and the other thing is that it may be corrected by changing the weight and therefore the resonance vibration, or even with a diff set up for tightening
By the way , i expect to balance my engine with a special balancing device, wich can read vibes in many ways then i´ll post the readings and from that we can understand if there is resonant vibes , unfortunatly it will take time.

Thanks

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

whipplem104
Holset

04-04-2016, 08:36 AM #61
Harmonics are different that just internal balancing though. This is a crank twist issue from each cylinder firing and the resulting harmonic in the crank shaft from this at different RPMs. There is a method of measuring this in the crank to some degree. I was quoted 2500.00 for that and then there is actually measuring it on a running engine which was around 25k.
whipplem104
04-04-2016, 08:36 AM #61

Harmonics are different that just internal balancing though. This is a crank twist issue from each cylinder firing and the resulting harmonic in the crank shaft from this at different RPMs. There is a method of measuring this in the crank to some degree. I was quoted 2500.00 for that and then there is actually measuring it on a running engine which was around 25k.

barrote
Superturbo

04-04-2016, 03:42 PM #62
i can do that for free, weather engine running or stopped in charge or without... is just vibes... it just takes time and bother a friend...
eventhough they are just harmonics they must travel through some kind ressonance, what intrigues me is the fact that the hub spins and does not break , it should break instead, just cause it should be tight enough to prevent sliping and the release of energy would be rupture...
just that ;(

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-04-2016, 03:42 PM #62

i can do that for free, weather engine running or stopped in charge or without... is just vibes... it just takes time and bother a friend...
eventhough they are just harmonics they must travel through some kind ressonance, what intrigues me is the fact that the hub spins and does not break , it should break instead, just cause it should be tight enough to prevent sliping and the release of energy would be rupture...
just that ;(

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

atypicalguy
Holset

04-09-2016, 09:14 PM #63
Ha. Well, absence of evidence is not evidence of the absence, so they say. Or, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you :-)

Feeling smug in my low rpm, high torque plan, but only because I haven't put it together and found something else to break yet. And more torque could make it happen at a different rpm.
atypicalguy
04-09-2016, 09:14 PM #63

Ha. Well, absence of evidence is not evidence of the absence, so they say. Or, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you :-)

Feeling smug in my low rpm, high torque plan, but only because I haven't put it together and found something else to break yet. And more torque could make it happen at a different rpm.

atypicalguy
Holset

04-09-2016, 09:16 PM #64
Great thread btw.
atypicalguy
04-09-2016, 09:16 PM #64

Great thread btw.

barrote
Superturbo

04-10-2016, 04:00 AM #65
tunning is all about that Wink
U tune till it brakes, one step aft , solution , tune again , it brakes, another step aft , tune again , u´ll never happy ....
But let me say one thing, if u are twisting cranks already u´re closer to heaven than i am, and most here Wink

As said before, i found strange people report the harmonic damper slip, and nothing happen to time chain drive sprocket, wich is my worst fear, i´m i missing something ?

If u want to try a lighter damper made by the star , search for 602.982 it uses a very light version of it, and is a DI engine wich usually have a lot more vibes and sharper response.

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-10-2016, 04:00 AM #65

tunning is all about that Wink
U tune till it brakes, one step aft , solution , tune again , it brakes, another step aft , tune again , u´ll never happy ....
But let me say one thing, if u are twisting cranks already u´re closer to heaven than i am, and most here Wink

As said before, i found strange people report the harmonic damper slip, and nothing happen to time chain drive sprocket, wich is my worst fear, i´m i missing something ?

If u want to try a lighter damper made by the star , search for 602.982 it uses a very light version of it, and is a DI engine wich usually have a lot more vibes and sharper response.

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

atypicalguy
Holset

04-10-2016, 05:00 AM #66
(03-31-2016, 11:08 AM)Max Thats correct, i also got the Advice from muuris to change my Damper to the om602 2-Piece Damper to avoid that Failure.

Anybody have a part number on this 602 damper?
atypicalguy
04-10-2016, 05:00 AM #66

(03-31-2016, 11:08 AM)Max Thats correct, i also got the Advice from muuris to change my Damper to the om602 2-Piece Damper to avoid that Failure.

Anybody have a part number on this 602 damper?

barrote
Superturbo

04-10-2016, 05:14 AM #67
I was talking about the 2 piece one, there is one single piece with holes wich is half the weight of a 605 single piece.
i ´m not around so i can´t check out the part number .... i will take time to reach home...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-10-2016, 05:14 AM #67

I was talking about the 2 piece one, there is one single piece with holes wich is half the weight of a 605 single piece.
i ´m not around so i can´t check out the part number .... i will take time to reach home...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

erx
w202 om606

07-11-2016, 12:41 PM #68
I plan to secure these sprockets also and when I look previous pictures I want to add one thing. Thread and bolt is nice way to secure cam sprocket but it does not seem to be the best way for crank damper. If crank damper is secured with threaded bolts then damper may not be able to tighten chain sprocket between crank and damper because damper position is locked with securing screws. It may be problem especially when damper was removed and not pressed on tightly. Then damper main bolt is just pressing against damper and not chain sprocket. That's why spring pin seems to be better option, there are different pins.

[Image: 11388_SM_Hinge-3.jpg]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8432]

Bolted
[Image: stopscrew4.jpg]
This post was last modified: 07-11-2016, 12:56 PM by erx.
erx
07-11-2016, 12:41 PM #68

I plan to secure these sprockets also and when I look previous pictures I want to add one thing. Thread and bolt is nice way to secure cam sprocket but it does not seem to be the best way for crank damper. If crank damper is secured with threaded bolts then damper may not be able to tighten chain sprocket between crank and damper because damper position is locked with securing screws. It may be problem especially when damper was removed and not pressed on tightly. Then damper main bolt is just pressing against damper and not chain sprocket. That's why spring pin seems to be better option, there are different pins.

[Image: 11388_SM_Hinge-3.jpg]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=8432]

Bolted
[Image: stopscrew4.jpg]

whipplem104
Holset

08-17-2016, 11:53 AM #69
New SFI rated balancer will be shipping out this week. I will post up pictures when it gets here.
whipplem104
08-17-2016, 11:53 AM #69

New SFI rated balancer will be shipping out this week. I will post up pictures when it gets here.

baldur
Fast

08-17-2016, 12:51 PM #70
On V8 engines with big roots blowers, it's common to have the damper supported by two opposing woodruff keys instead of just one.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
08-17-2016, 12:51 PM #70

On V8 engines with big roots blowers, it's common to have the damper supported by two opposing woodruff keys instead of just one.

Baldur Gislason

whipplem104
Holset

08-17-2016, 01:54 PM #71
We will pin this one as well. But you also need to address the increased crank harmonics or it will wipe out the bearings and maybe break the crank shaft.
whipplem104
08-17-2016, 01:54 PM #71

We will pin this one as well. But you also need to address the increased crank harmonics or it will wipe out the bearings and maybe break the crank shaft.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

08-17-2016, 05:45 PM #72
(08-17-2016, 11:53 AM)whipplem104 New SFI rated balancer will be shipping out this week. I will post up pictures when it gets here.

What's the damage on that?   I am interested in one for my 606 build.  Anything I can do to make the thing more reliable is a big plus for me!  I am fairly local to you as well.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
08-17-2016, 05:45 PM #72

(08-17-2016, 11:53 AM)whipplem104 New SFI rated balancer will be shipping out this week. I will post up pictures when it gets here.

What's the damage on that?   I am interested in one for my 606 build.  Anything I can do to make the thing more reliable is a big plus for me!  I am fairly local to you as well.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

whipplem104
Holset

08-24-2016, 01:31 PM #73
New balancer came in today. I posted up the 2 stock variations as well.
After discussing pinning the crank with the company it was not recommended. What we are going to do instead is to install a stud and it will be longer and nut down. This will create pull from the rear of the snout.
Attached Files
Image(s)

whipplem104
08-24-2016, 01:31 PM #73

New balancer came in today. I posted up the 2 stock variations as well.
After discussing pinning the crank with the company it was not recommended. What we are going to do instead is to install a stud and it will be longer and nut down. This will create pull from the rear of the snout.

Attached Files
Image(s)

JoeB
TA 0301

08-26-2016, 05:59 PM #74
I read through this thread, and my interest in the failing woodruff key etc.

I decided to look in ASRA/WIS for damage info or superceded parts.

I could only come up with ONE document relating to anything in the top-end of the engine....

Not really sure if it would be a contributing factor though. To me, it simply sounds like a change of manufacturer or MB encountered a few snapped bolts and decided to change spec.

Only affects early 606s though... REALLY early ones.

Checking EPC shows superceded cam part numbers... no woodruff key.

And on 606964, no real change either.

Based on the info others have provided, suggestion would be to confirm with donor vehicle VIN and the engine serial number - as perhaps there are some break-points for mechanical update (although it would normally be listed in the EPC)
JoeB
08-26-2016, 05:59 PM #74

I read through this thread, and my interest in the failing woodruff key etc.

I decided to look in ASRA/WIS for damage info or superceded parts.

I could only come up with ONE document relating to anything in the top-end of the engine....

Not really sure if it would be a contributing factor though. To me, it simply sounds like a change of manufacturer or MB encountered a few snapped bolts and decided to change spec.

Only affects early 606s though... REALLY early ones.

Checking EPC shows superceded cam part numbers... no woodruff key.

And on 606964, no real change either.

Based on the info others have provided, suggestion would be to confirm with donor vehicle VIN and the engine serial number - as perhaps there are some break-points for mechanical update (although it would normally be listed in the EPC)

hooblah
Holset

08-27-2016, 06:11 AM #75
This has been going on for sometime now yet I still don't see any conclusive evidence of failure, just pure speculation and scaremongering.
hooblah
08-27-2016, 06:11 AM #75

This has been going on for sometime now yet I still don't see any conclusive evidence of failure, just pure speculation and scaremongering.

JoeB
TA 0301

08-27-2016, 06:35 AM #76
Had to go out and do stuff today, so didn't finish my previous post.
OM602 -
.pdf
WIS-EPC printed document.pdf
Size: 138.91 KB / Downloads: 367

.pdf
602994.pdf
Size: 59.49 KB / Downloads: 315

ill do 603/5/6 later but you'll get the idea - it's a simple case of changing the superceded part to an updated version as per engine series production model break - which entirely normal practice on a production line.
JoeB
08-27-2016, 06:35 AM #76

Had to go out and do stuff today, so didn't finish my previous post.
OM602 -

.pdf
WIS-EPC printed document.pdf
Size: 138.91 KB / Downloads: 367

.pdf
602994.pdf
Size: 59.49 KB / Downloads: 315

ill do 603/5/6 later but you'll get the idea - it's a simple case of changing the superceded part to an updated version as per engine series production model break - which entirely normal practice on a production line.

whipplem104
Holset

08-28-2016, 04:05 PM #77
(08-27-2016, 06:11 AM)hooblah This has been going on for sometime now yet I still don't see any conclusive evidence of failure, just pure speculation and scaremongering.

We spun the crank pulley in a matter of 1 day. We were on the dyno and at the racetrack so a total of around 10 minutes of run time and it sheared the key and moved about 15 degrees. What I learned looking into it is that is a crank harmonic issue. Thus the new harmonic dampener. The harmonics are most likely causing the camshaft spin issue as well. As well as failed bearings and broken crankshafts etc. 
It is about sitting in a bad harmonic frequency. So say running the engine at 6200 rpm for an extended period of time. Like more than a couple of seconds. A dampener that was designed for 200hp and a peak rpm of 52=5500 will not dampen the harmonics of the engine at 6000rpm at 500hp. All numbers are just examples as we obviously did not go with the run the engine on the dyno and measure harmonics version of this design with the company because it costs more money than the whole car project. But that is the jist of it.
whipplem104
08-28-2016, 04:05 PM #77

(08-27-2016, 06:11 AM)hooblah This has been going on for sometime now yet I still don't see any conclusive evidence of failure, just pure speculation and scaremongering.

We spun the crank pulley in a matter of 1 day. We were on the dyno and at the racetrack so a total of around 10 minutes of run time and it sheared the key and moved about 15 degrees. What I learned looking into it is that is a crank harmonic issue. Thus the new harmonic dampener. The harmonics are most likely causing the camshaft spin issue as well. As well as failed bearings and broken crankshafts etc. 
It is about sitting in a bad harmonic frequency. So say running the engine at 6200 rpm for an extended period of time. Like more than a couple of seconds. A dampener that was designed for 200hp and a peak rpm of 52=5500 will not dampen the harmonics of the engine at 6000rpm at 500hp. All numbers are just examples as we obviously did not go with the run the engine on the dyno and measure harmonics version of this design with the company because it costs more money than the whole car project. But that is the jist of it.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

08-28-2016, 09:23 PM #78
(08-28-2016, 04:05 PM)whipplem104 What I learned looking into it is that is a crank harmonic issue. Thus the new harmonic dampener.

How much did this run?  I am very interested in it for my next build...

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
08-28-2016, 09:23 PM #78

(08-28-2016, 04:05 PM)whipplem104 What I learned looking into it is that is a crank harmonic issue. Thus the new harmonic dampener.

How much did this run?  I am very interested in it for my next build...

OBK# 62

whipplem104
Holset

08-29-2016, 07:40 AM #79
I can get them reproduced for 750.00 each on a per order basis.
whipplem104
08-29-2016, 07:40 AM #79

I can get them reproduced for 750.00 each on a per order basis.

Turbo
Holset

08-29-2016, 04:26 PM #80
(08-29-2016, 07:40 AM)whipplem104 I can get them reproduced for 750.00 each on a per order basis.

So how much better is it the the original damper, how much have you try to run the new one?
Turbo
08-29-2016, 04:26 PM #80

(08-29-2016, 07:40 AM)whipplem104 I can get them reproduced for 750.00 each on a per order basis.

So how much better is it the the original damper, how much have you try to run the new one?

whipplem104
Holset

08-29-2016, 06:19 PM #81
We have not installed it yet. I am searching for a stud to replace the bolt with right now. It will have a stud and a nut instead of the bolt.
I just got it last week. So it will be installed soon and we will see. But it is a bit of a guessing game without spending a whole lot more money on the design. The engineers make some assumptions based on the additional power and rpm and the frequency that the original was tuned for. And experience of course.
whipplem104
08-29-2016, 06:19 PM #81

We have not installed it yet. I am searching for a stud to replace the bolt with right now. It will have a stud and a nut instead of the bolt.
I just got it last week. So it will be installed soon and we will see. But it is a bit of a guessing game without spending a whole lot more money on the design. The engineers make some assumptions based on the additional power and rpm and the frequency that the original was tuned for. And experience of course.

hooblah
Holset

08-30-2016, 03:48 PM #82
(08-28-2016, 04:05 PM)whipplem104

Ok I accept that, but what I can't understand is that people have been tuning these engines for a few years now and so far you're the only person to experience this issue.
hooblah
08-30-2016, 03:48 PM #82

(08-28-2016, 04:05 PM)whipplem104

Ok I accept that, but what I can't understand is that people have been tuning these engines for a few years now and so far you're the only person to experience this issue.

whipplem104
Holset

08-30-2016, 04:58 PM #83
Well I did not start the thread on the subject and was skeptical myself until I did it. I can easily come up with reasons why it is a problem for some and not others. Mostly power level and rpms. Also sitting in certain rpms for extended periods of time vs pushing right past them. The company that I am working with on the balancer said that inline 6 engines are prone to really bad harmonics at around 6000rpm. This can shift due to variables a bit but they avoid sitting in the range of 5800-6200 rpm. Revving through the rpm range quickly is ok because the harmonics do not have a chance to build up. So say in 1st gear or 2nd gear you may only be in that rpm range for a second or less. In 3rd and 4th you could be there for a long time. Especially 4th gear. So even driving type can dictate if it is a problem. But mostly it is an increased power level issue at a certain rpm range.
whipplem104
08-30-2016, 04:58 PM #83

Well I did not start the thread on the subject and was skeptical myself until I did it. I can easily come up with reasons why it is a problem for some and not others. Mostly power level and rpms. Also sitting in certain rpms for extended periods of time vs pushing right past them. The company that I am working with on the balancer said that inline 6 engines are prone to really bad harmonics at around 6000rpm. This can shift due to variables a bit but they avoid sitting in the range of 5800-6200 rpm. Revving through the rpm range quickly is ok because the harmonics do not have a chance to build up. So say in 1st gear or 2nd gear you may only be in that rpm range for a second or less. In 3rd and 4th you could be there for a long time. Especially 4th gear. So even driving type can dictate if it is a problem. But mostly it is an increased power level issue at a certain rpm range.

barrote
Superturbo

08-31-2016, 01:04 PM #84
MR 04 ,
Are u guys running the 606 crank as it was original build, or did made it lighter? run stock rods and pistons , or were for lighter custom pistons and rods?
I have helped tune some 605/6´s and we never found out interesting to drive at those rpm u mention, actually we found the engine behaves better in the 3.5 k to 5.5, thats were we point the 100hp cylinder to be , between 3.5 and 5.5k.

FD,