STD Tuning Engine OM605 tuning for torque

OM605 tuning for torque

OM605 tuning for torque

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

gjm
Naturally-aspirated? Aspirational!

10-09-2018, 09:11 PM #1
Been a while since I was last here. Smile

New project. 100" Land Rover with a Mercedes OM605 engine and GM 6L80E gearbox (and LT230 transfer box for 4 wheel drive.)

I really like the idea of using a 5-cylinder engine for this. Partly because it is different, but also because it'll provide more power than a 4-pot, is more refined than a 4-pot (such as the Isuzu 4BD1t), but doesn't occupy as much space as a 6-pot OM606 (for example).

I've seen lots of posts about tuning to 200hp, 250, 300, 350, 400... Not so fussed about this. What I haven't seen is reports of the torque output - less of an issue for high performance road use, but certainly relevant in a 4x4 something that will be used off-road, and for occasional towing duties.

Might consider a OM612 crank and OM604 pistons for a 2.7 litre stroker.

Given the scale of the project overall, I'm happy - keen, even - to go to a mechanical fuel pump. Potentially more reliable than an electronic one. Larger elements should mean smoother running, lower fuel temperatures and better economy.

Turbo would probably be a Holset or similar. I'm fortunate to know a turbo manufacturer, so can get something appropriate configured. (Not going to be a freebie, but at least I'll have help in that area!)

A 'dream' spec (for the sake of having something to aim for) would perhaps be 200whp (150kW), and 400lb ft (550Nm). Does this seem realistic? The power shouldn't be too much of a stretch, but the torque?
This post was last modified: 10-09-2018, 09:14 PM by gjm.
gjm
10-09-2018, 09:11 PM #1

Been a while since I was last here. Smile

New project. 100" Land Rover with a Mercedes OM605 engine and GM 6L80E gearbox (and LT230 transfer box for 4 wheel drive.)

I really like the idea of using a 5-cylinder engine for this. Partly because it is different, but also because it'll provide more power than a 4-pot, is more refined than a 4-pot (such as the Isuzu 4BD1t), but doesn't occupy as much space as a 6-pot OM606 (for example).

I've seen lots of posts about tuning to 200hp, 250, 300, 350, 400... Not so fussed about this. What I haven't seen is reports of the torque output - less of an issue for high performance road use, but certainly relevant in a 4x4 something that will be used off-road, and for occasional towing duties.

Might consider a OM612 crank and OM604 pistons for a 2.7 litre stroker.

Given the scale of the project overall, I'm happy - keen, even - to go to a mechanical fuel pump. Potentially more reliable than an electronic one. Larger elements should mean smoother running, lower fuel temperatures and better economy.

Turbo would probably be a Holset or similar. I'm fortunate to know a turbo manufacturer, so can get something appropriate configured. (Not going to be a freebie, but at least I'll have help in that area!)

A 'dream' spec (for the sake of having something to aim for) would perhaps be 200whp (150kW), and 400lb ft (550Nm). Does this seem realistic? The power shouldn't be too much of a stretch, but the torque?

firen456
TA 0301

10-10-2018, 12:13 AM #2
Hello,

first: larger elements don't give u a smoother engine. The fuel is injected faster and in low IQs there is ignition delay because the fuel can't start burning faster. There is more fuel in the prechamber/combustion chamber compared to small elements at the same time. This will let the engine run a little louder.

second: There are no connecting rods for our blocks and CDI cranks. I talked to a guy in china. He can manufacture some custom rods. PM me if u are interested. Maybe I also want to have a set. Taking a 2.9L crank would be easier because there are conrods availible which fit. But on the other hand, a CDI crank would give us really nice specs according stroke and bore...
firen456
10-10-2018, 12:13 AM #2

Hello,

first: larger elements don't give u a smoother engine. The fuel is injected faster and in low IQs there is ignition delay because the fuel can't start burning faster. There is more fuel in the prechamber/combustion chamber compared to small elements at the same time. This will let the engine run a little louder.

second: There are no connecting rods for our blocks and CDI cranks. I talked to a guy in china. He can manufacture some custom rods. PM me if u are interested. Maybe I also want to have a set. Taking a 2.9L crank would be easier because there are conrods availible which fit. But on the other hand, a CDI crank would give us really nice specs according stroke and bore...

seanyt
is300d He351ve

10-10-2018, 03:48 AM #3
Ecu is the simplest option. stock 6mm edc pump will get 200hp easily.
1.6 bar boost from a gt2871 and remap will see 450nm ish and 220hp and really good spool.
Stock turbo will give 180hp with a remap .

Using a mech pump means you need larger elements to get any power from it.
The wiring loom can be reduced to just a +12 and gnd switch to work.

Sean
seanyt
10-10-2018, 03:48 AM #3

Ecu is the simplest option. stock 6mm edc pump will get 200hp easily.
1.6 bar boost from a gt2871 and remap will see 450nm ish and 220hp and really good spool.
Stock turbo will give 180hp with a remap .

Using a mech pump means you need larger elements to get any power from it.
The wiring loom can be reduced to just a +12 and gnd switch to work.

Sean

gjm
Naturally-aspirated? Aspirational!

10-11-2018, 02:27 PM #4
Thanks for the info.

Looks like I have been misled as I thought rods wee available for the stroker engine. The 2.9 option sounds interesting... Long way to go before getting too excited about that though.

Any thoughts on getting beyond 500Nm?
gjm
10-11-2018, 02:27 PM #4

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I have been misled as I thought rods wee available for the stroker engine. The 2.9 option sounds interesting... Long way to go before getting too excited about that though.

Any thoughts on getting beyond 500Nm?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average