STD
OM605 tuning for torque - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: OM605 tuning for torque (/showthread.php?tid=8126)

OM605 tuning for torque - gjm - 10-09-2018

Been a while since I was last here. Smile

New project. 100" Land Rover with a Mercedes OM605 engine and GM 6L80E gearbox (and LT230 transfer box for 4 wheel drive.)

I really like the idea of using a 5-cylinder engine for this. Partly because it is different, but also because it'll provide more power than a 4-pot, is more refined than a 4-pot (such as the Isuzu 4BD1t), but doesn't occupy as much space as a 6-pot OM606 (for example).

I've seen lots of posts about tuning to 200hp, 250, 300, 350, 400... Not so fussed about this. What I haven't seen is reports of the torque output - less of an issue for high performance road use, but certainly relevant in a 4x4 something that will be used off-road, and for occasional towing duties.

Might consider a OM612 crank and OM604 pistons for a 2.7 litre stroker.

Given the scale of the project overall, I'm happy - keen, even - to go to a mechanical fuel pump. Potentially more reliable than an electronic one. Larger elements should mean smoother running, lower fuel temperatures and better economy.

Turbo would probably be a Holset or similar. I'm fortunate to know a turbo manufacturer, so can get something appropriate configured. (Not going to be a freebie, but at least I'll have help in that area!)

A 'dream' spec (for the sake of having something to aim for) would perhaps be 200whp (150kW), and 400lb ft (550Nm). Does this seem realistic? The power shouldn't be too much of a stretch, but the torque?

RE: OM605 tuning for torque - firen456 - 10-10-2018

Hello,

first: larger elements don't give u a smoother engine. The fuel is injected faster and in low IQs there is ignition delay because the fuel can't start burning faster. There is more fuel in the prechamber/combustion chamber compared to small elements at the same time. This will let the engine run a little louder.

second: There are no connecting rods for our blocks and CDI cranks. I talked to a guy in china. He can manufacture some custom rods. PM me if u are interested. Maybe I also want to have a set. Taking a 2.9L crank would be easier because there are conrods availible which fit. But on the other hand, a CDI crank would give us really nice specs according stroke and bore...

RE: OM605 tuning for torque - seanyt - 10-10-2018

Ecu is the simplest option. stock 6mm edc pump will get 200hp easily.
1.6 bar boost from a gt2871 and remap will see 450nm ish and 220hp and really good spool.
Stock turbo will give 180hp with a remap .

Using a mech pump means you need larger elements to get any power from it.
The wiring loom can be reduced to just a +12 and gnd switch to work.

Sean

RE: OM605 tuning for torque - gjm - 10-11-2018

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I have been misled as I thought rods wee available for the stroker engine. The 2.9 option sounds interesting... Long way to go before getting too excited about that though.

Any thoughts on getting beyond 500Nm?