STD Tuning Engine Using bleed air turbine as turbo/supercharger?

Using bleed air turbine as turbo/supercharger?

Using bleed air turbine as turbo/supercharger?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

m1tch
GT2559V

07-12-2015, 09:05 AM #1
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one to post up but I think it might work and also be quite unique, I have (quite randomly) a bleed air turbine from a commercial jet air craft, a bleed air turbine uses air from the main engines to run a compressor to do things like compress cabin air when at altitude.

Its basically a turbocharger, but uses air instead of exhaust gasses to compress air - basically a turbo with 2 cold sides.

I was thinking that I could look at using this in my E300 sleeper project - I could use the compressed air from the stock turbo and feed it into the inlet on the bleed air turbine which would then compress additional air and feed it into the engine. The boost control would actually be still on the stock turbo to limit the boost being fed into the inlet of the bleed air turbine which would then limit the overall boost levels.

The compressor side is very large but with a fairly small inlet and might also mean that it wouldn't need to spin up as fast to give a large flow of air - I will take a photo of it but it might be something a bit different to try out - as far as I know its never been tried before.
m1tch
07-12-2015, 09:05 AM #1

Hi all,

Bit of an odd one to post up but I think it might work and also be quite unique, I have (quite randomly) a bleed air turbine from a commercial jet air craft, a bleed air turbine uses air from the main engines to run a compressor to do things like compress cabin air when at altitude.

Its basically a turbocharger, but uses air instead of exhaust gasses to compress air - basically a turbo with 2 cold sides.

I was thinking that I could look at using this in my E300 sleeper project - I could use the compressed air from the stock turbo and feed it into the inlet on the bleed air turbine which would then compress additional air and feed it into the engine. The boost control would actually be still on the stock turbo to limit the boost being fed into the inlet of the bleed air turbine which would then limit the overall boost levels.

The compressor side is very large but with a fairly small inlet and might also mean that it wouldn't need to spin up as fast to give a large flow of air - I will take a photo of it but it might be something a bit different to try out - as far as I know its never been tried before.

fega72
Naturally-aspirated

07-12-2015, 09:15 AM #2
(07-12-2015, 09:05 AM)m1tch Hi all,

Do you have enough space in the engine bay for that turbine?
fega72
07-12-2015, 09:15 AM #2

m1tch
GT2559V

07-12-2015, 09:27 AM #3
(07-12-2015, 09:15 AM)fega72

The engine bay in the W210 is massive and the turbo is set a fair way back, I will measure it up but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, its large but I know that the HX35/HX40/HX55 turbos are probably about as large plus the fact that I can mount it off to one side due to it just needing to be connected via hoses rather than the exhaust manifold.

Here is the turbine, its built by Garrett - some of the pipework can be removed though as it obviously isn't being fitted to a jet anymore!

[Image: DSC_0066_zps58yjdbjw.jpg]

Air inlet is here, you can see that it works the same as if it were a hot side plus the regulator much like a wastegate:

[Image: DSC_0067_zpsimck4vy5.jpg]
This post was last modified: 07-12-2015, 09:28 AM by m1tch.
m1tch
07-12-2015, 09:27 AM #3

(07-12-2015, 09:15 AM)fega72

The engine bay in the W210 is massive and the turbo is set a fair way back, I will measure it up but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, its large but I know that the HX35/HX40/HX55 turbos are probably about as large plus the fact that I can mount it off to one side due to it just needing to be connected via hoses rather than the exhaust manifold.

Here is the turbine, its built by Garrett - some of the pipework can be removed though as it obviously isn't being fitted to a jet anymore!

[Image: DSC_0066_zps58yjdbjw.jpg]

Air inlet is here, you can see that it works the same as if it were a hot side plus the regulator much like a wastegate:

[Image: DSC_0067_zpsimck4vy5.jpg]

fega72
Naturally-aspirated

07-12-2015, 09:38 AM #4
Nice one Smile
fega72
07-12-2015, 09:38 AM #4

Nice one Smile

m1tch
GT2559V

07-12-2015, 09:39 AM #5
(07-12-2015, 09:38 AM)fega72 Nice one Smile

Might try and attach the end of an intercooler hose to the inlet and see if it does spin up at all, as you can see its fairly large - just thought it might be slightly different!
m1tch
07-12-2015, 09:39 AM #5

(07-12-2015, 09:38 AM)fega72 Nice one Smile

Might try and attach the end of an intercooler hose to the inlet and see if it does spin up at all, as you can see its fairly large - just thought it might be slightly different!

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

07-12-2015, 10:48 AM #6
I'm not sure if that would work very well. You use the cold side of the stock charger to drive the other one if I read correctly? Exhaust gas temperature plays a big role in spooling a turbo because of it's expansion vs cold air.

So would route both into the intake?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
07-12-2015, 10:48 AM #6

I'm not sure if that would work very well. You use the cold side of the stock charger to drive the other one if I read correctly? Exhaust gas temperature plays a big role in spooling a turbo because of it's expansion vs cold air.

So would route both into the intake?

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

barrote
Superturbo

07-12-2015, 02:10 PM #7
Fluid dinamics , boys !!! make some googling and some math and u´ll soon find out watts going to happen with that idea.
i can see that compressor being a low speed compressor being able to produce a quite amount of air at 20.000 rpm, if that so u can hook it to the crankshaft and problably will be better than a roots type. of course a lot of ingenuity need to be at play.

i use to work with aviation things Wink , and the hose where this inlet is conected is a far larger compressor usually able to compress air at a reason of 20/1 minimum, matter of speaking this air is not very far from 20ATM, disconsidering heat gain and compresibility, i´m positivelly sure that will be very dificult to gain whatsoever.

i take my hat and u should give it a try, maths sometimes is wrong.

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
07-12-2015, 02:10 PM #7

Fluid dinamics , boys !!! make some googling and some math and u´ll soon find out watts going to happen with that idea.
i can see that compressor being a low speed compressor being able to produce a quite amount of air at 20.000 rpm, if that so u can hook it to the crankshaft and problably will be better than a roots type. of course a lot of ingenuity need to be at play.

i use to work with aviation things Wink , and the hose where this inlet is conected is a far larger compressor usually able to compress air at a reason of 20/1 minimum, matter of speaking this air is not very far from 20ATM, disconsidering heat gain and compresibility, i´m positivelly sure that will be very dificult to gain whatsoever.

i take my hat and u should give it a try, maths sometimes is wrong.

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

m1tch
GT2559V

07-12-2015, 02:38 PM #8
Its worth a try, its not something that has been tried before and was more of an experiment really, I am looking at a few other options, one of them being making a hybrid turbo using the stock setup - I have got a Garrett HG turbo off a land cruiser which has over 200bhp as standard at 7psi - the compressor is much larger but has around the same size exhaust housing.
m1tch
07-12-2015, 02:38 PM #8

Its worth a try, its not something that has been tried before and was more of an experiment really, I am looking at a few other options, one of them being making a hybrid turbo using the stock setup - I have got a Garrett HG turbo off a land cruiser which has over 200bhp as standard at 7psi - the compressor is much larger but has around the same size exhaust housing.

barrote
Superturbo

07-12-2015, 03:09 PM #9
for a 606, u can install 2 gt22V with 60mfs , and u will have boost that u can´t handle, with very few lag. and lag will depend on with type of charge cooler u want to install. a air/water with gas aid will be the best.
for fuel a 150cc pump will be a 500hp pump, u can have one from dieselmeken , or one from me or from somebody else.. as long as it pump out , thats fine.
and of couse there is a lot more u have to change in that engine to produce 500hp consistently, and day driveability.
fellas from USA, like holsets, a lot of air at very high rpm, they manage it considering they have very few knowledge about diesels. people in europe for the other hand are using hybrid turbos , assembled in proved rigs like the gt22V´s gt25´s and 27´s .
For my likes a day driver with a lot of balls in the low rpms is ideal.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
07-12-2015, 03:09 PM #9

for a 606, u can install 2 gt22V with 60mfs , and u will have boost that u can´t handle, with very few lag. and lag will depend on with type of charge cooler u want to install. a air/water with gas aid will be the best.
for fuel a 150cc pump will be a 500hp pump, u can have one from dieselmeken , or one from me or from somebody else.. as long as it pump out , thats fine.
and of couse there is a lot more u have to change in that engine to produce 500hp consistently, and day driveability.
fellas from USA, like holsets, a lot of air at very high rpm, they manage it considering they have very few knowledge about diesels. people in europe for the other hand are using hybrid turbos , assembled in proved rigs like the gt22V´s gt25´s and 27´s .
For my likes a day driver with a lot of balls in the low rpms is ideal.

FD,