STD Tuning Engine Headgaskets?

Headgaskets?

Headgaskets?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Insane190d
GT2256V

07-02-2014, 08:15 AM #1
Ok so my head is off my om603. Once everything is ready to go together I want a good strong seal. It looks like people use the om606 gasket and I see on rock auto they have both composite and MLS steel gaskets. Id imagine id want an mls? Any difference in head and block prep? Also Ive never heard anything about head studs, so im assuming that the bolts do a good job of clamping since theres soo many bolts?
Insane190d
07-02-2014, 08:15 AM #1

Ok so my head is off my om603. Once everything is ready to go together I want a good strong seal. It looks like people use the om606 gasket and I see on rock auto they have both composite and MLS steel gaskets. Id imagine id want an mls? Any difference in head and block prep? Also Ive never heard anything about head studs, so im assuming that the bolts do a good job of clamping since theres soo many bolts?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-02-2014, 08:36 AM #2
AFAIK, MLS is the super-duper way to do it. Just make sure your block and head are clean/flat as always.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
07-02-2014, 08:36 AM #2

AFAIK, MLS is the super-duper way to do it. Just make sure your block and head are clean/flat as always.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

mbz123
GT2256V

07-03-2014, 04:12 PM #3
Surgically so, that's the deal with the steal. One minor imperfection when using mls and your day is ruined along with automagically re-scheduled for dejavu hg install. Rinse, repeat.

On the bright side, methinks you will get job accomplished much quicker second time around. Anybody wanna go for #3?!?! JK

Good luck bro, I'll be watching.

MBZ123
mbz123
07-03-2014, 04:12 PM #3

Surgically so, that's the deal with the steal. One minor imperfection when using mls and your day is ruined along with automagically re-scheduled for dejavu hg install. Rinse, repeat.

On the bright side, methinks you will get job accomplished much quicker second time around. Anybody wanna go for #3?!?! JK

MBZ123

Insane190d
GT2256V

07-04-2014, 07:29 PM #4
(07-03-2014, 04:12 PM)mbz123 Surgically so, that's the deal with the steal. One minor imperfection when using mls and your day is ruined along with automagically re-scheduled for dejavu hg install. Rinse, repeat.

MBZ123

Dang I was hoping a good smooth sanding on the block and good machined head would do it. Howbout the mls with the coating?
Insane190d
07-04-2014, 07:29 PM #4

(07-03-2014, 04:12 PM)mbz123 Surgically so, that's the deal with the steal. One minor imperfection when using mls and your day is ruined along with automagically re-scheduled for dejavu hg install. Rinse, repeat.

MBZ123

Dang I was hoping a good smooth sanding on the block and good machined head would do it. Howbout the mls with the coating?

EDH_Performance
Holset

07-05-2014, 10:00 AM #5
Use fine sandpaper on head and block....Coat the mls with gasket seal spray, locktite have one...then you will be goodWink

Use fine sandpaper on head and block....Coat the mls with gasket seal spray, locktite have one...then you will be goodWink
This post was last modified: 07-05-2014, 10:01 AM by EDH_Performance.
EDH_Performance
07-05-2014, 10:00 AM #5

Insane190d
GT2256V

07-05-2014, 11:41 AM #6
(07-05-2014, 10:00 AM)EDH_Performance Use fine sandpaper on head and block....Coat the mls with gasket seal spray, locktite have one...then you will be goodWink

That sounds good. How fine a grit? 150? Or more?
Insane190d
07-05-2014, 11:41 AM #6

(07-05-2014, 10:00 AM)EDH_Performance Use fine sandpaper on head and block....Coat the mls with gasket seal spray, locktite have one...then you will be goodWink

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-07-2014, 02:35 PM #7
(07-05-2014, 11:41 AM)Insane190d

150 is gravel. You want 800 or higher, personally I'd hit it with 1000

Simpler=Better
07-07-2014, 02:35 PM #7

(07-05-2014, 11:41 AM)Insane190d

150 is gravel. You want 800 or higher, personally I'd hit it with 1000

barrote
Superturbo

07-07-2014, 03:50 PM #8
block cleaned with scotch , brown , and head faced. sand paper 120 is fine too.
BTW with that amount of bolts 45º more will twist the head and smash the gasket all the way.
Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
07-07-2014, 03:50 PM #8

block cleaned with scotch , brown , and head faced. sand paper 120 is fine too.
BTW with that amount of bolts 45º more will twist the head and smash the gasket all the way.
Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Insane190d
GT2256V

07-07-2014, 04:47 PM #9
We'll I do see the mls gaskets with a rubber coating on top and bottom for a good water seal. Id imagine that will seal it good without having to make the surface look like glass? Also what is the torqeing procedure for the blots?
Insane190d
07-07-2014, 04:47 PM #9

We'll I do see the mls gaskets with a rubber coating on top and bottom for a good water seal. Id imagine that will seal it good without having to make the surface look like glass? Also what is the torqeing procedure for the blots?

barrote
Superturbo

07-08-2014, 01:37 AM #10
looks like u are a begginer, maybe it wont work.......
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...5800hx.pdf : here u can find the MB service manual procedure. depending on your experience, it maybe dificult to understand.
BTW it is not water or oil that u want to seal, it is compression dear friend. And compression gas is hot and many atmosphere (BAR) if it is not done well the gasket will end up burned and gas excaping, engine will end up same way as it was.
What is the reason u removed the head?
Ps:continue screaming i´ll aid u!!!

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
07-08-2014, 01:37 AM #10

looks like u are a begginer, maybe it wont work.......
http://www.w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...5800hx.pdf : here u can find the MB service manual procedure. depending on your experience, it maybe dificult to understand.
BTW it is not water or oil that u want to seal, it is compression dear friend. And compression gas is hot and many atmosphere (BAR) if it is not done well the gasket will end up burned and gas excaping, engine will end up same way as it was.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Insane190d
GT2256V

07-08-2014, 05:17 AM #11
(07-08-2014, 01:37 AM)barrote looks like u are a begginer, maybe it wont work.......

Im not a retard dude I know what a headgasket does and I can sure follow the procedure. Just diddnt know it. But that should come in handy. Thanks!
This post was last modified: 07-08-2014, 05:24 AM by Insane190d.
Insane190d
07-08-2014, 05:17 AM #11

(07-08-2014, 01:37 AM)barrote looks like u are a begginer, maybe it wont work.......

Im not a retard dude I know what a headgasket does and I can sure follow the procedure. Just diddnt know it. But that should come in handy. Thanks!

barrote
Superturbo

07-08-2014, 07:29 AM #12
hey, hey, peace comrade.
Sure u do know about head gaskets!!! one can read that.
have fun and good luck, any doubt feel free to ask
Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
07-08-2014, 07:29 AM #12

hey, hey, peace comrade.
Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Insane190d
GT2256V

07-08-2014, 08:12 AM #13
(07-08-2014, 07:29 AM)barrote hey, hey, peace comrade.
Wink

We shall see time will tell
Insane190d
07-08-2014, 08:12 AM #13

(07-08-2014, 07:29 AM)barrote hey, hey, peace comrade.
Wink

We shall see time will tell

Insane190d
GT2256V

07-11-2014, 04:03 PM #14
Ok so one thing im still not clear about is if the om606 gasket can be used on om603? Is it the same thickness as om603 bolt and water passages same?
Insane190d
07-11-2014, 04:03 PM #14

Ok so one thing im still not clear about is if the om606 gasket can be used on om603? Is it the same thickness as om603 bolt and water passages same?

raysorenson
Superturbo

07-11-2014, 05:59 PM #15
It has been done before. I hear-tell that you need to drill some holes in the 606 gasket. Both the standard 606 and the "service" gasket, which is thicker, are both thinner than the 603 gasket. I can't cite any numbers off the top of my head, but it didn't take much searching before I figured it out.

I eventually became convinced that a stock HG could hold 400hp and stopped worrying about a 606 HG.
raysorenson
07-11-2014, 05:59 PM #15

It has been done before. I hear-tell that you need to drill some holes in the 606 gasket. Both the standard 606 and the "service" gasket, which is thicker, are both thinner than the 603 gasket. I can't cite any numbers off the top of my head, but it didn't take much searching before I figured it out.

I eventually became convinced that a stock HG could hold 400hp and stopped worrying about a 606 HG.

barrote
Superturbo

07-12-2014, 06:00 AM #16
Big Grin , hum.... 603 HG does not fit 606, same as the 602 does not fit the 605, it is not a question of drilling holes, is a question of missing materiel, in one corner of the timing chain housing, it leaks, well it will leak oil vapor only. The opposite is a question of diff holes and too much materiel. when one look at the very small details become convinced that one can securely say that it does not fit. Sad
sorry Sad
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
07-12-2014, 06:00 AM #16

Big Grin , hum.... 603 HG does not fit 606, same as the 602 does not fit the 605, it is not a question of drilling holes, is a question of missing materiel, in one corner of the timing chain housing, it leaks, well it will leak oil vapor only. The opposite is a question of diff holes and too much materiel. when one look at the very small details become convinced that one can securely say that it does not fit. Sad
sorry Sad
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Petar
7.5mm M pump

07-12-2014, 08:28 AM #17
you understood it wrong.They are trying to use om606 head gaket on a om603 engine
Petar
07-12-2014, 08:28 AM #17

you understood it wrong.They are trying to use om606 head gaket on a om603 engine

barrote
Superturbo

07-12-2014, 11:10 AM #18
No i did not , is the same problem with the holes, the multivalve HG are very difficult to get them sealing right at least the metal layered ones we have in my country, i´ll give a finger to lay my hands on one of the old ones. The old MB wich were discontinued , yes those u can do a lot with them.
Were discontinued Sad almost 20 year ago.
U know what really seals ??? is copper !!! and u can use several layers on top of each. the thing is where to get copper sheet in .8mm? well at affordable price.
Usually what kills the HG is heat, people roast the engines and the shrinking and expanding of that heating cycles kills the HG.

FD,