STD Maintenance General diy apoholstery?

diy apoholstery?

diy apoholstery?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

04-08-2012, 12:07 PM #1
Hey guys,

another question, is it easy to redo the back seats?

all the straw padding fell out a while ago when i was replacing the rear shocks and I was thinking about replacing the straw with some nice foam.

how hard is it to do and what materials will i need?

also I know i spelt upholstery wrong -_-
This post was last modified: 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
04-08-2012, 12:07 PM #1

Hey guys,

another question, is it easy to redo the back seats?

all the straw padding fell out a while ago when i was replacing the rear shocks and I was thinking about replacing the straw with some nice foam.

how hard is it to do and what materials will i need?

also I know i spelt upholstery wrong -_-

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-08-2012, 12:53 PM #2
Be careful. The MB tex is some tough stuff but the stitching is not. The thread may be brittle, dry rotted, and easily torn from the fabric. The foam is not a standard size. You will need to find some wide stuff. I suggest an upholstry place. May be worth the extra $100 or so dollars. However, the seat cover itself comes off in the same fashion as the front seats ...

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
04-08-2012, 12:53 PM #2

Be careful. The MB tex is some tough stuff but the stitching is not. The thread may be brittle, dry rotted, and easily torn from the fabric. The foam is not a standard size. You will need to find some wide stuff. I suggest an upholstry place. May be worth the extra $100 or so dollars. However, the seat cover itself comes off in the same fashion as the front seats ...

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

04-08-2012, 01:15 PM #3
(04-08-2012, 12:53 PM)Greazzer Be careful. The MB tex is some tough stuff but the stitching is not. The thread may be brittle, dry rotted, and easily torn from the fabric. The foam is not a standard size. You will need to find some wide stuff. I suggest an upholstry place. May be worth the extra $100 or so dollars. However, the seat cover itself comes off in the same fashion as the front seats ...

so would you recommend to just send out to be redone?
Purplecomputer
04-08-2012, 01:15 PM #3

(04-08-2012, 12:53 PM)Greazzer Be careful. The MB tex is some tough stuff but the stitching is not. The thread may be brittle, dry rotted, and easily torn from the fabric. The foam is not a standard size. You will need to find some wide stuff. I suggest an upholstry place. May be worth the extra $100 or so dollars. However, the seat cover itself comes off in the same fashion as the front seats ...

so would you recommend to just send out to be redone?

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

04-08-2012, 03:03 PM #4
I don't know if you have Joann fabrics in your area or not, but I've gotten foam there with my mom for redoing the cushions on our couch on more than one occasion

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
04-08-2012, 03:03 PM #4

I don't know if you have Joann fabrics in your area or not, but I've gotten foam there with my mom for redoing the cushions on our couch on more than one occasion

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

w123love
Stockish

04-08-2012, 03:09 PM #5
The straw stuff you described could be an original horse hair seat back. +1 for sending it out to get re-done. It takes some finessing to get it together. Also I’m sure there is plenty of info on this is PP.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
04-08-2012, 03:09 PM #5

The straw stuff you described could be an original horse hair seat back. +1 for sending it out to get re-done. It takes some finessing to get it together. Also I’m sure there is plenty of info on this is PP.

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

Greazzer
Superturbo

04-08-2012, 07:18 PM #6
I will post some pictures tomorrow. Little pooped right now. I just had my back seat stiched back together. Cost $75.00 and that included the guy cutting holes for my Euro rear headrests and putting those damm plastic "male and female" deals in there. They were brittle so 2 cracked but its good enough for now. That straw is horsehair with some rubberized binding material in it as Reece said. This guy is in downtown Columia, SC. He's about 70 and has been doing this stuff for about 50 years. He's like a walking encyclopedia of uphostry. He walked me through using old seat covers. And yes, new ones are cost prohibitive. He indicated that the tex is tough but when you stitch it, it is the needle and new stichting that will cut through the fabric. As for the foam, he steered me away from that because it is wider than a standard width and the correct foam is very pricey. So, if you take this stuff apart, you may run the risk of the stiching getting screwed up and when that happens you may have a problem getting it repaired because of the stiching may damage the tex. I'm no expert but I take this oldtimer at his word. He has my front seats right now since I cannot do any physical stuff for a while so I will post some pictures of them also.

Greazzer
04-08-2012, 07:18 PM #6

I will post some pictures tomorrow. Little pooped right now. I just had my back seat stiched back together. Cost $75.00 and that included the guy cutting holes for my Euro rear headrests and putting those damm plastic "male and female" deals in there. They were brittle so 2 cracked but its good enough for now. That straw is horsehair with some rubberized binding material in it as Reece said. This guy is in downtown Columia, SC. He's about 70 and has been doing this stuff for about 50 years. He's like a walking encyclopedia of uphostry. He walked me through using old seat covers. And yes, new ones are cost prohibitive. He indicated that the tex is tough but when you stitch it, it is the needle and new stichting that will cut through the fabric. As for the foam, he steered me away from that because it is wider than a standard width and the correct foam is very pricey. So, if you take this stuff apart, you may run the risk of the stiching getting screwed up and when that happens you may have a problem getting it repaired because of the stiching may damage the tex. I'm no expert but I take this oldtimer at his word. He has my front seats right now since I cannot do any physical stuff for a while so I will post some pictures of them also.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

04-08-2012, 08:31 PM #7
(04-08-2012, 03:03 PM)sassparilla_kid I don't know if you have Joann fabrics in your area or not, but I've gotten foam there with my mom for redoing the cushions on our couch on more than one occasion

there's actually one on my way to school. ill check it out i guess.
(04-08-2012, 03:09 PM)w123love The straw stuff you described could be an original horse hair seat back. +1 for sending it out to get re-done. It takes some finessing to get it together. Also I’m sure there is plenty of info on this is PP.

its a 79 so i guess it is horse hair, it just kept pouring out when the seat was off! anyone know any good places here in the east end?
This post was last modified: 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
04-08-2012, 08:31 PM #7

(04-08-2012, 03:03 PM)sassparilla_kid I don't know if you have Joann fabrics in your area or not, but I've gotten foam there with my mom for redoing the cushions on our couch on more than one occasion

there's actually one on my way to school. ill check it out i guess.
(04-08-2012, 03:09 PM)w123love The straw stuff you described could be an original horse hair seat back. +1 for sending it out to get re-done. It takes some finessing to get it together. Also I’m sure there is plenty of info on this is PP.

its a 79 so i guess it is horse hair, it just kept pouring out when the seat was off! anyone know any good places here in the east end?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average