STD
diy apoholstery? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Maintenance (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: diy apoholstery? (/showthread.php?tid=3519)

diy apoholstery? - Purplecomputer - 04-08-2012

Hey guys,

another question, is it easy to redo the back seats?

all the straw padding fell out a while ago when i was replacing the rear shocks and I was thinking about replacing the straw with some nice foam.

how hard is it to do and what materials will i need?

also I know i spelt upholstery wrong -_-

RE: diy apoholstery? - Greazzer - 04-08-2012

Be careful. The MB tex is some tough stuff but the stitching is not. The thread may be brittle, dry rotted, and easily torn from the fabric. The foam is not a standard size. You will need to find some wide stuff. I suggest an upholstry place. May be worth the extra $100 or so dollars. However, the seat cover itself comes off in the same fashion as the front seats ...

RE: diy apoholstery? - Purplecomputer - 04-08-2012

(04-08-2012, 12:53 PM)Greazzer Be careful. The MB tex is some tough stuff but the stitching is not. The thread may be brittle, dry rotted, and easily torn from the fabric. The foam is not a standard size. You will need to find some wide stuff. I suggest an upholstry place. May be worth the extra $100 or so dollars. However, the seat cover itself comes off in the same fashion as the front seats ...

so would you recommend to just send out to be redone?

RE: diy apoholstery? - sassparilla_kid - 04-08-2012

I don't know if you have Joann fabrics in your area or not, but I've gotten foam there with my mom for redoing the cushions on our couch on more than one occasion

RE: diy apoholstery? - w123love - 04-08-2012

The straw stuff you described could be an original horse hair seat back. +1 for sending it out to get re-done. It takes some finessing to get it together. Also I’m sure there is plenty of info on this is PP.

RE: diy apoholstery? - Greazzer - 04-08-2012

I will post some pictures tomorrow. Little pooped right now. I just had my back seat stiched back together. Cost $75.00 and that included the guy cutting holes for my Euro rear headrests and putting those damm plastic "male and female" deals in there. They were brittle so 2 cracked but its good enough for now. That straw is horsehair with some rubberized binding material in it as Reece said. This guy is in downtown Columia, SC. He's about 70 and has been doing this stuff for about 50 years. He's like a walking encyclopedia of uphostry. He walked me through using old seat covers. And yes, new ones are cost prohibitive. He indicated that the tex is tough but when you stitch it, it is the needle and new stichting that will cut through the fabric. As for the foam, he steered me away from that because it is wider than a standard width and the correct foam is very pricey. So, if you take this stuff apart, you may run the risk of the stiching getting screwed up and when that happens you may have a problem getting it repaired because of the stiching may damage the tex. I'm no expert but I take this oldtimer at his word. He has my front seats right now since I cannot do any physical stuff for a while so I will post some pictures of them also.

RE: diy apoholstery? - Purplecomputer - 04-08-2012

(04-08-2012, 03:03 PM)sassparilla_kid I don't know if you have Joann fabrics in your area or not, but I've gotten foam there with my mom for redoing the cushions on our couch on more than one occasion

there's actually one on my way to school. ill check it out i guess.
(04-08-2012, 03:09 PM)w123love The straw stuff you described could be an original horse hair seat back. +1 for sending it out to get re-done. It takes some finessing to get it together. Also I’m sure there is plenty of info on this is PP.

its a 79 so i guess it is horse hair, it just kept pouring out when the seat was off! anyone know any good places here in the east end?