STD Other Projects The Phoenix Project

The Phoenix Project

The Phoenix Project

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Kozuka
I'm_Badass

07-08-2012, 10:53 AM #51
$450 for paint-matching as long as it is good is a decent price. Considering the cost of paint $150-250 and the rest is labor and experience.

Although, down here we paint whole car's for $400-500 but we use cheap single stage paint.

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project
Kozuka
07-08-2012, 10:53 AM #51

$450 for paint-matching as long as it is good is a decent price. Considering the cost of paint $150-250 and the rest is labor and experience.

Although, down here we paint whole car's for $400-500 but we use cheap single stage paint.

1983 300TD : 4 Speed : SLS Delete : More. Daily Deathcab
1987 190E/16v/OM603 : 5 Speed : SLS Delete : Lots More..W201 Project

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-08-2012, 11:56 AM #52
(07-08-2012, 10:01 AM)Greazzer Attached are some pictures. I am going to re-do this post because I want to identify all parts and lay them out just in case anyone can learn from my trials and tribulations. It is already 90+F at 10 AM so I have to quit. Plus, I need to pick up stainless steel fastners, washers, and a few rubber grommets, plus some POR-15 to make this a job well done. The REAR Euro Bumper is compliments of "Just Passing Thru", the main bumper brackets at the rear of the car are EBAY and the side quarterpanel brackets that go onto the end piece "arms" are PP (dealer). The pads appear to be crucial, so that is definitely a suggested always new item. As you can tell by the last 2 pictures, I have some fine tuning plus I need to figure out how to attach the rubber bumper strip. Does one just try to slide that rubber piece on ???

NEED OPINIONS ABOUT QUOTE:

Got a rough quote (Which I think is high) of $450.00 to paint 2 fenders and hood. They are stripped down (chemically) to the metal coating (some sort of electro applied coating from the factory). There is NO body work needed and no rust. Just need them prep'd, primered, and painted to match the car and assuming to be re-bolted on. All fastners are sorted, layed out, and ready to go. I still did not get a firm response from the person for the engine bay and AMG air dam. I think I will get everything done hopefully in the next few weeks. That way, I can put everything on it that needs to go on the body, and the outside will look completely done. Interior just needs to be re-dyed which is a capable project once the car is out of my garage. If that should happen, I can keep the car outside (in the brutal heat) and put the drivetrain inside the garage. The block now has brand new cylinder sleeves, its honed, and I got a great price on the maching shop to put it all back together.

ANY OPINIONS ON THE PRICING ??? Please.

Thanks,

oh wow, so there is supposed to be a large gap.
Purplecomputer
07-08-2012, 11:56 AM #52

(07-08-2012, 10:01 AM)Greazzer Attached are some pictures. I am going to re-do this post because I want to identify all parts and lay them out just in case anyone can learn from my trials and tribulations. It is already 90+F at 10 AM so I have to quit. Plus, I need to pick up stainless steel fastners, washers, and a few rubber grommets, plus some POR-15 to make this a job well done. The REAR Euro Bumper is compliments of "Just Passing Thru", the main bumper brackets at the rear of the car are EBAY and the side quarterpanel brackets that go onto the end piece "arms" are PP (dealer). The pads appear to be crucial, so that is definitely a suggested always new item. As you can tell by the last 2 pictures, I have some fine tuning plus I need to figure out how to attach the rubber bumper strip. Does one just try to slide that rubber piece on ???

NEED OPINIONS ABOUT QUOTE:

Got a rough quote (Which I think is high) of $450.00 to paint 2 fenders and hood. They are stripped down (chemically) to the metal coating (some sort of electro applied coating from the factory). There is NO body work needed and no rust. Just need them prep'd, primered, and painted to match the car and assuming to be re-bolted on. All fastners are sorted, layed out, and ready to go. I still did not get a firm response from the person for the engine bay and AMG air dam. I think I will get everything done hopefully in the next few weeks. That way, I can put everything on it that needs to go on the body, and the outside will look completely done. Interior just needs to be re-dyed which is a capable project once the car is out of my garage. If that should happen, I can keep the car outside (in the brutal heat) and put the drivetrain inside the garage. The block now has brand new cylinder sleeves, its honed, and I got a great price on the maching shop to put it all back together.

ANY OPINIONS ON THE PRICING ??? Please.

Thanks,

oh wow, so there is supposed to be a large gap.

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-08-2012, 12:17 PM #53
Yes,

If you look at the 2 pictures where I used my index finger as a measuring device, you will see that the driver's side is out more than the passangers. Because you have some play at the brackets, I am pretty sure that will even out. There are actually 3 holes on each side of the quarter panel. The non-Euro bumpers used the hole that is closest to the front end. The Euro's use the hole which is about 4 inches back. Once I take it apart and get my SS stuff, I will give a full and exact breakdown on putting it back together.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
07-08-2012, 12:17 PM #53

Yes,

If you look at the 2 pictures where I used my index finger as a measuring device, you will see that the driver's side is out more than the passangers. Because you have some play at the brackets, I am pretty sure that will even out. There are actually 3 holes on each side of the quarter panel. The non-Euro bumpers used the hole that is closest to the front end. The Euro's use the hole which is about 4 inches back. Once I take it apart and get my SS stuff, I will give a full and exact breakdown on putting it back together.

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

JB3
Superturbo

07-10-2012, 08:36 AM #54
this is an awesome thread, I can't believe what progress you've made!

When you first posted this thread, I was sure you would never get the front end completely worked out, seemed like a lions share of work, but I would have been totally wrong.

Concerned the 4-pot calipers, if you have to go custom to get the 124s to work, you might consider volvo 200 series calipers, hubs and brakes.

Those have stock 4-pot front calipers and vented rotors, and an awesomely complex dual line front brake channel system. two brake lines each to each front caliper. Give the Swedes credit for an incredibly redundant safe brake system. Big Grin

One brake line runs one half of each caliper. If you lose a brake channel, you never lose complete braking on any wheel, only half of the braking on any wheel.

4 pistons per caliper, one brake line per two pistons, two channels on a single caliper, its like a race car stock.

[Image: 009.jpg]

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
07-10-2012, 08:36 AM #54

this is an awesome thread, I can't believe what progress you've made!

When you first posted this thread, I was sure you would never get the front end completely worked out, seemed like a lions share of work, but I would have been totally wrong.

Concerned the 4-pot calipers, if you have to go custom to get the 124s to work, you might consider volvo 200 series calipers, hubs and brakes.

Those have stock 4-pot front calipers and vented rotors, and an awesomely complex dual line front brake channel system. two brake lines each to each front caliper. Give the Swedes credit for an incredibly redundant safe brake system. Big Grin

One brake line runs one half of each caliper. If you lose a brake channel, you never lose complete braking on any wheel, only half of the braking on any wheel.

4 pistons per caliper, one brake line per two pistons, two channels on a single caliper, its like a race car stock.

[Image: 009.jpg]

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

07-10-2012, 09:09 PM #55
What size are the Volvo rotors?

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
07-10-2012, 09:09 PM #55

What size are the Volvo rotors?

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-15-2012, 09:06 AM #56
Even though it is hiting 85F already before 10 AM, I braved the shade of my garage. Here is my information for anyone needing it relative to a Rear Euro Bumper swap.

Rear Passenger Bracket, non-towing type: A123-880-0164

Rear Driver Bracket, non-towing type: 123-880-0514

Rear Driver End (1 of 3 pieces): 123-880-037?

There is no part number stamped on my passenger end or middle section or rubber strip

Bracket for each rear quarter panel: 123-880-00-14

Rear Bumper rubber pad for each quarter panel bracket: 116-885-00-97

Screw from Quarter Panel to Bracket: 304017-008021

I used all stainless steel fasteners to assemble the ends to the middle section and the bumper itself to the car brackets. M8x1.25x16mm (4 of these for the end pieces) and M8x1.25x20mm (4 of these for the bumper to the car). I used POR-15 for the heavy rusted and a similar product to spray to cover the entire area since it was speckled with rust.

Instead of spending a fortune on SS fasteners, I got a bunch left over for anyone wanting to buy a pre-packaged kit. That is, I could only buy 100 of each at a time, so I got a bunch left over.

Hope this helps anyone since this was a super time intensive project for me. Over 3 months in the making, but I am pumped over the Euro Rear Bumper.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
07-15-2012, 09:06 AM #56

Even though it is hiting 85F already before 10 AM, I braved the shade of my garage. Here is my information for anyone needing it relative to a Rear Euro Bumper swap.

There is no part number stamped on my passenger end or middle section or rubber strip

I used all stainless steel fasteners to assemble the ends to the middle section and the bumper itself to the car brackets. M8x1.25x16mm (4 of these for the end pieces) and M8x1.25x20mm (4 of these for the bumper to the car). I used POR-15 for the heavy rusted and a similar product to spray to cover the entire area since it was speckled with rust.

Instead of spending a fortune on SS fasteners, I got a bunch left over for anyone wanting to buy a pre-packaged kit. That is, I could only buy 100 of each at a time, so I got a bunch left over.

Hope this helps anyone since this was a super time intensive project for me. Over 3 months in the making, but I am pumped over the Euro Rear Bumper.

Attached Files
Image(s)

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-16-2012, 07:34 AM #57
A crazy thought:
Since you will be the CF master when this is done, could you hypothetically make a CF euro bumper and fill it with high density expanded polystyrene? (aka 'great stuf')

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
07-16-2012, 07:34 AM #57

A crazy thought:
Since you will be the CF master when this is done, could you hypothetically make a CF euro bumper and fill it with high density expanded polystyrene? (aka 'great stuf')

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-16-2012, 09:59 AM #58
(07-15-2012, 09:06 AM)Greazzer Even though it is hiting 85F already before 10 AM, I braved the shade of my garage. Here is my information for anyone needing it relative to a Rear Euro Bumper swap.

so Ive been putting in these the wrong way! ive been putting them right side up instead of the way you have them pictured. That explains everything!

so the bumpers you sold me, do you remember if they have the mounting bracket? because mine looks way diffrent then yours.
Purplecomputer
07-16-2012, 09:59 AM #58

(07-15-2012, 09:06 AM)Greazzer Even though it is hiting 85F already before 10 AM, I braved the shade of my garage. Here is my information for anyone needing it relative to a Rear Euro Bumper swap.

so Ive been putting in these the wrong way! ive been putting them right side up instead of the way you have them pictured. That explains everything!

so the bumpers you sold me, do you remember if they have the mounting bracket? because mine looks way diffrent then yours.

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-16-2012, 01:31 PM #59
(07-16-2012, 07:34 AM)Simpler=Better A crazy thought:

Yes, I hope to be. I am hoping to get away this October or November to Reno, NV to take the class. One week of training in CF. I have been told by a bunch of folks that I should be the cat's pajamas when it comes to making body panels like the pro's after the course. And yes, a rear or front bumper or even my AMG Air Dam (chin) in CF looks doable. The little things that I have made thus far in my experiments with vacuum infusion leads me to believe that after a few big items, I should be good to go, especially after the class. So, yes to panels also. I hope to have the car up and running by then. But, CF replacement panels, e.g., hood, trunk lid, cowl, bumpers, doors, would be a dream. I have successfully made some nice CF rods by rolling CF around a super thin and incredibly light aluminum tube. Bagging and infusion has been super simply thus far. I am shocked as to how strong this tube turned out.

[/quote]

I think I sold you a rear bumper (I could be wrong). I just mailed you the brackets for the rear quarter panels (x2) with rubber pads. That was about 1 month ago or so. Not sure I mailed you anything else. ... I mailed an air cleaner bracket and the rubber bushings. I will have to check my notes. Not sure what I missed. Did I miss anything ??? LOL
This post was last modified: 07-16-2012, 01:34 PM by Greazzer.

Greazzer
07-16-2012, 01:31 PM #59

Yes, I hope to be. I am hoping to get away this October or November to Reno, NV to take the class. One week of training in CF. I have been told by a bunch of folks that I should be the cat's pajamas when it comes to making body panels like the pro's after the course. And yes, a rear or front bumper or even my AMG Air Dam (chin) in CF looks doable. The little things that I have made thus far in my experiments with vacuum infusion leads me to believe that after a few big items, I should be good to go, especially after the class. So, yes to panels also. I hope to have the car up and running by then. But, CF replacement panels, e.g., hood, trunk lid, cowl, bumpers, doors, would be a dream. I have successfully made some nice CF rods by rolling CF around a super thin and incredibly light aluminum tube. Bagging and infusion has been super simply thus far. I am shocked as to how strong this tube turned out.

[/quote]

I think I sold you a rear bumper (I could be wrong). I just mailed you the brackets for the rear quarter panels (x2) with rubber pads. That was about 1 month ago or so. Not sure I mailed you anything else. ... I mailed an air cleaner bracket and the rubber bushings. I will have to check my notes. Not sure what I missed. Did I miss anything ??? LOL

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-16-2012, 03:21 PM #60
(07-16-2012, 01:31 PM)Greazzer

[/quote]

i dont think you missed anything but ill take a picture later tonight with what im talking about.
Purplecomputer
07-16-2012, 03:21 PM #60

(07-16-2012, 01:31 PM)Greazzer

[/quote]

i dont think you missed anything but ill take a picture later tonight with what im talking about.

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-16-2012, 07:46 PM #61
Purplecomputer: I took the entire bumper off again to take pictures of both sides of the mounting brackets (NOT the quarter panel brackets). This Euro Bumper is kicking my AZZZ.. LOL

Greazzer
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM #61

Purplecomputer: I took the entire bumper off again to take pictures of both sides of the mounting brackets (NOT the quarter panel brackets). This Euro Bumper is kicking my AZZZ.. LOL

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-17-2012, 11:20 AM #62
(07-16-2012, 07:46 PM)Greazzer Purplecomputer: I took the entire bumper off again to take pictures of both sides of the mounting brackets (NOT the quarter panel brackets). This Euro Bumper is kicking my AZZZ.. LOL

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/atta...p?aid=5750

this is the bracket im talking about. I dont have that but I have something very similar attached to the back of the bumper.
Purplecomputer
07-17-2012, 11:20 AM #62

(07-16-2012, 07:46 PM)Greazzer Purplecomputer: I took the entire bumper off again to take pictures of both sides of the mounting brackets (NOT the quarter panel brackets). This Euro Bumper is kicking my AZZZ.. LOL

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/atta...p?aid=5750

this is the bracket im talking about. I dont have that but I have something very similar attached to the back of the bumper.

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-17-2012, 02:27 PM #63
I honestly don't remeber if I packed a similar type of bracket. I think I did, however. The picture of my bracket is the older style of bracket. Do you have a picture of yours ?

Greazzer
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM #63

I honestly don't remeber if I packed a similar type of bracket. I think I did, however. The picture of my bracket is the older style of bracket. Do you have a picture of yours ?

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-18-2012, 08:28 AM #64
(07-17-2012, 02:27 PM)Greazzer I honestly don't remeber if I packed a similar type of bracket. I think I did, however. The picture of my bracket is the older style of bracket. Do you have a picture of yours ?

[Image: 20120717_213002.jpg]
[Image: 20120717_213033.jpg]

My quater panel holes dont match up... and thats the bracket that I have on the bumper.

Im missing something for sure because I tried to install them last night and it still dosnt fit.
This post was last modified: 07-18-2012, 08:28 AM by Purplecomputer.
Purplecomputer
07-18-2012, 08:28 AM #64

(07-17-2012, 02:27 PM)Greazzer I honestly don't remeber if I packed a similar type of bracket. I think I did, however. The picture of my bracket is the older style of bracket. Do you have a picture of yours ?

[Image: 20120717_213002.jpg]
[Image: 20120717_213033.jpg]

My quater panel holes dont match up... and thats the bracket that I have on the bumper.

Im missing something for sure because I tried to install them last night and it still dosnt fit.

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-18-2012, 11:49 AM #65
[Image: bumper23.jpg]

looks like I need the same bracket as you as I found this factory manual on installing the bumpers and the supporting brackets that go in the back of the bumper looks the same as your, Which is what I dont have.

Where did you find that part? the dealer?
Purplecomputer
07-18-2012, 11:49 AM #65

[Image: bumper23.jpg]

looks like I need the same bracket as you as I found this factory manual on installing the bumpers and the supporting brackets that go in the back of the bumper looks the same as your, Which is what I dont have.

Where did you find that part? the dealer?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

07-18-2012, 12:20 PM #66
Oh cmon' guys just get some 4" drywall screws

Simpler=Better
07-18-2012, 12:20 PM #66

Oh cmon' guys just get some 4" drywall screws

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-18-2012, 12:45 PM #67
EBAY. Ask for the same deal I got. $40.00 plus $7.00 parcel post shipping.

Greazzer
07-18-2012, 12:45 PM #67

EBAY. Ask for the same deal I got. $40.00 plus $7.00 parcel post shipping.

larsalan
Superturbo

07-18-2012, 01:40 PM #68
(07-18-2012, 12:20 PM)Simpler=Better Oh cmon' guys just get some 4" drywall screws
Or a wire welder and just be done with it Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'
larsalan
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM #68

(07-18-2012, 12:20 PM)Simpler=Better Oh cmon' guys just get some 4" drywall screws
Or a wire welder and just be done with it Wink

Rusted out beat down 300d turbo 82' -- RIP
Nice body, tons of ridiculous mechanical issues - 300d turbo 82' /motor 85'

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-19-2012, 09:29 AM #69
(07-18-2012, 12:45 PM)Greazzer EBAY. Ask for the same deal I got. $40.00 plus $7.00 parcel post shipping.

want to get me a link? I cant find it
Purplecomputer
07-19-2012, 09:29 AM #69

(07-18-2012, 12:45 PM)Greazzer EBAY. Ask for the same deal I got. $40.00 plus $7.00 parcel post shipping.

want to get me a link? I cant find it

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-19-2012, 07:27 PM #70
Here is the email. I'm too dumb to figure out how to post the URL / Link. Sorry.

Shipped today, you will have Friday.

Regards, Bill

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Jun 26, 2012 10:09 am
Subject: RE: brackets

Greazzer
07-19-2012, 07:27 PM #70

Here is the email. I'm too dumb to figure out how to post the URL / Link. Sorry.

Regards, Bill

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-20-2012, 08:54 AM #71
(07-19-2012, 07:27 PM)Greazzer Here is the email. I'm too dumb to figure out how to post the URL / Link. Sorry.

Regards, Bill

hmm, dont see any information on how i could find the link.

Also to post a url just copy the address from the web browsers address bar and paste. It probably wont be a hyperlink (click it and it take you to the page) but I could always just copy it and paste it into my web browser.
Purplecomputer
07-20-2012, 08:54 AM #71

(07-19-2012, 07:27 PM)Greazzer Here is the email. I'm too dumb to figure out how to post the URL / Link. Sorry.

Regards, Bill

hmm, dont see any information on how i could find the link.

Also to post a url just copy the address from the web browsers address bar and paste. It probably wont be a hyperlink (click it and it take you to the page) but I could always just copy it and paste it into my web browser.

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-20-2012, 10:35 AM #72
I gave you his email addres ? You can email him .

Greazzer
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM #72

I gave you his email addres ? You can email him .

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-20-2012, 02:02 PM #73
(07-20-2012, 10:35 AM)Greazzer I gave you his email addres ? You can email him .

oh i see
Purplecomputer
07-20-2012, 02:02 PM #73

(07-20-2012, 10:35 AM)Greazzer I gave you his email addres ? You can email him .

oh i see

sassparilla_kid
diesel &gt; all other fuels

07-21-2012, 06:04 PM #74
Just drill new holes?

sassparilla_kid
07-21-2012, 06:04 PM #74

Just drill new holes?

Purplecomputer
Slowness 220D

07-22-2012, 09:18 PM #75
(07-21-2012, 06:04 PM)sassparilla_kid Just drill new holes?

that was my original goal. I'm just going to do that. this euro bumper can suck my balls
Purplecomputer
07-22-2012, 09:18 PM #75

(07-21-2012, 06:04 PM)sassparilla_kid Just drill new holes?

that was my original goal. I'm just going to do that. this euro bumper can suck my balls

Greazzer
Superturbo

07-22-2012, 10:10 PM #76
LOL ! I just bolted mine up for the 5th time and now it is sitting cocked - eyed. WTF ?

I am laughing to myself outloud at 11:09 PM EST. Classic. I feel old.

Now, I got to fiddle around with my bumper too -- again. This Euro bumper has been going on for months now. Don't feel bad.

Greazzer
07-22-2012, 10:10 PM #76

LOL ! I just bolted mine up for the 5th time and now it is sitting cocked - eyed. WTF ?

I am laughing to myself outloud at 11:09 PM EST. Classic. I feel old.

Now, I got to fiddle around with my bumper too -- again. This Euro bumper has been going on for months now. Don't feel bad.

vstef_is
GT2256V

07-23-2012, 07:28 AM #77
STOP! Hammer time!

1982 s123 300TD TurboDiesel (US Spec) in France
vstef_is
07-23-2012, 07:28 AM #77

STOP! Hammer time!

1982 s123 300TD TurboDiesel (US Spec) in France

Greazzer
Superturbo

08-05-2012, 07:29 AM #78
I finally re-dyed the plastic inserts that go in the trunk. I like it 100% more. They look like they were dipped in Armor-all. If you re-dye anything, make sure you wear nitril gloves and gloves with no holes. This stuff does not come off easily from one's hands. The one little hole on my left hand glove attracted every bit of stray black dye. LOL. Also, got the Euro Bumper installed -- Again. It is still off by a bunch, but I give up. I will let the body shop guy tinker with it.

RE-INSTALLED my battery box. I will post some pictures of a few upgrades to the battery box, e.g., rubber lining and thin rubber sheet to drape over the battery which will cover up the holes on each end of the box. Then, I think I am done R&D on the battery box. Because the battery is gone from the engine bay, and I got a few ideas up my sleeve, I think that once the engine bay is stripped and professionally painted along with the hood & fenders, I think most of the wires and cables will either be hidden or gone when I am finished.

The tow truck guy is picking it up tomorrow so that the body shop can paint the fenders and hood and AMG air dam. Hopefully, by the end of August, the exterior will look 100%. While the car is out of the garage, I am going to re-dye the front and back seats so that when I get it back in 3 weeks, I can just pop in the seats. Before I do that, I am toying with the idea of doing the sound deadening. Not sure, however. That might be a later project. Once I get the car back and I pop in the seats, I am just left with drive train and fine tuning. Maybe by Christmas ? I am only 6 months behind schedule now or at least my own make believe schedule. I like the silver color better than my old car's gold color and I like the blue interior better than palamino. I am a little anxious over re-dying the seats, but the black plastic came out nice IMO.
Attached Files
Image(s)

Greazzer
08-05-2012, 07:29 AM #78

I finally re-dyed the plastic inserts that go in the trunk. I like it 100% more. They look like they were dipped in Armor-all. If you re-dye anything, make sure you wear nitril gloves and gloves with no holes. This stuff does not come off easily from one's hands. The one little hole on my left hand glove attracted every bit of stray black dye. LOL. Also, got the Euro Bumper installed -- Again. It is still off by a bunch, but I give up. I will let the body shop guy tinker with it.

RE-INSTALLED my battery box. I will post some pictures of a few upgrades to the battery box, e.g., rubber lining and thin rubber sheet to drape over the battery which will cover up the holes on each end of the box. Then, I think I am done R&D on the battery box. Because the battery is gone from the engine bay, and I got a few ideas up my sleeve, I think that once the engine bay is stripped and professionally painted along with the hood & fenders, I think most of the wires and cables will either be hidden or gone when I am finished.

The tow truck guy is picking it up tomorrow so that the body shop can paint the fenders and hood and AMG air dam. Hopefully, by the end of August, the exterior will look 100%. While the car is out of the garage, I am going to re-dye the front and back seats so that when I get it back in 3 weeks, I can just pop in the seats. Before I do that, I am toying with the idea of doing the sound deadening. Not sure, however. That might be a later project. Once I get the car back and I pop in the seats, I am just left with drive train and fine tuning. Maybe by Christmas ? I am only 6 months behind schedule now or at least my own make believe schedule. I like the silver color better than my old car's gold color and I like the blue interior better than palamino. I am a little anxious over re-dying the seats, but the black plastic came out nice IMO.

Attached Files
Image(s)

w123love
Stockish

08-05-2012, 09:46 AM #79
I’m intrigued by the dying you did to the trunk inserts. I have never thought to do it. Why did you decide to do that?

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN
w123love
08-05-2012, 09:46 AM #79

I’m intrigued by the dying you did to the trunk inserts. I have never thought to do it. Why did you decide to do that?

if it don’t blow black...take it back.

1982 300TDT 4 Speed 196K Standard Beige “VEGEWGN”. 300GD FW. Walbro FRC-8 Fuel Pump. ZadaTech LCD Boost, EGT, & Fuel Pressure gauge. Non-EGR Exhaust and Intake Manifold. 3/2 Valves gone. Soon to have Elsbett WVO conversion
1981 300D 314K Midnight Blue “The Blue Car”, Lovecrap system, owned 25 years+
1985 300TD White 198K “Betty White” Pure beauty

The VEGEWGN

Greazzer
Superturbo

08-05-2012, 10:07 AM #80
Howdy,

My decision was more global in nature relative to the car. With age, all plastics and vinyl fade. Just like humans, it gets "old". I tried scrubbing the crap out of them, like the seats and other parts of the interior, and applying Armorall, and they still looked old no matter what I did. So, dying is an option for seats so I just applied the same logic to all plastic and vinyl. Actually, it makes all these surfaces look the way it came out of Stutegard in the 80's. This stuff is permanent, guaranteed to not flake off, peel, chip, et cet. It really does "soak" into the plastic or vinyl and penetrate into the material. Same theory to the engine bay with it going to be stripped and painted. I have cleaned the crap out of my old engine bay but it still looks old. So, why not apply the equivelant of new skin ?

I just noticed in the pictures that the black satin finish actually reflects the shine off the MB emblem on the battery box. I could have never got that finish with cleaning and just a surface protectorant like Armorall. So far, I am pretty happy with the results. I cannot wait until I do the seats.

Greazzer
08-05-2012, 10:07 AM #80

Howdy,

My decision was more global in nature relative to the car. With age, all plastics and vinyl fade. Just like humans, it gets "old". I tried scrubbing the crap out of them, like the seats and other parts of the interior, and applying Armorall, and they still looked old no matter what I did. So, dying is an option for seats so I just applied the same logic to all plastic and vinyl. Actually, it makes all these surfaces look the way it came out of Stutegard in the 80's. This stuff is permanent, guaranteed to not flake off, peel, chip, et cet. It really does "soak" into the plastic or vinyl and penetrate into the material. Same theory to the engine bay with it going to be stripped and painted. I have cleaned the crap out of my old engine bay but it still looks old. So, why not apply the equivelant of new skin ?

I just noticed in the pictures that the black satin finish actually reflects the shine off the MB emblem on the battery box. I could have never got that finish with cleaning and just a surface protectorant like Armorall. So far, I am pretty happy with the results. I cannot wait until I do the seats.

Greazzer
Superturbo

05-02-2013, 12:57 PM #81
Howdy,

With some sadness, I have come to the conclusion, somewhat out of necessity and somewhat out of "objective reasoning" to sell the Phoenix Project. $300.00 FIRM, local pick up only. The few cool items I installed, e.g., Euro Bumper, will be removed. Columbia, S.C.

Greazzer
05-02-2013, 12:57 PM #81

Howdy,

With some sadness, I have come to the conclusion, somewhat out of necessity and somewhat out of "objective reasoning" to sell the Phoenix Project. $300.00 FIRM, local pick up only. The few cool items I installed, e.g., Euro Bumper, will be removed. Columbia, S.C.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average