STD Tuning Engine New Guy With Tuning Questions

New Guy With Tuning Questions

New Guy With Tuning Questions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

xswingkidx
Unregistered

07-18-2010, 06:23 PM #1
I'm picking up an 83 300D in a few days and have a few plans for it and am hoping you can give me some advice. It is completely stock right now except for the addition of a neat little kit to make it run on veggie oil. I love the car, but it needs some more power. I found an FMIC for an extremely good price so I might pick it up. Has anyone done this on a W123 and if so how did you mount it? Any pictures would be appreciated.

I was also told that most people adjust the waste gates on the stock turbos to get more power out of them. Is this true? If I upgrade the turbo is there a turbo that you recommend?

Please bare with me if I ask a few stupid questions. I have been building Hondas for about 10 years so I know my way around an engine bay...just not a Benz. My last build was a 200+ hp 1989 Honda CRX with a curb weight of 2000 pounds. By comparison, I am in completely foreign territory.

In case it matters, other plans for the car are a bigger exhaust, slightly bigger rims, H&R springs and a few gauges to keep me informed (ie. boost gauge etc)
xswingkidx
07-18-2010, 06:23 PM #1

I'm picking up an 83 300D in a few days and have a few plans for it and am hoping you can give me some advice. It is completely stock right now except for the addition of a neat little kit to make it run on veggie oil. I love the car, but it needs some more power. I found an FMIC for an extremely good price so I might pick it up. Has anyone done this on a W123 and if so how did you mount it? Any pictures would be appreciated.

I was also told that most people adjust the waste gates on the stock turbos to get more power out of them. Is this true? If I upgrade the turbo is there a turbo that you recommend?

Please bare with me if I ask a few stupid questions. I have been building Hondas for about 10 years so I know my way around an engine bay...just not a Benz. My last build was a 200+ hp 1989 Honda CRX with a curb weight of 2000 pounds. By comparison, I am in completely foreign territory.

In case it matters, other plans for the car are a bigger exhaust, slightly bigger rims, H&R springs and a few gauges to keep me informed (ie. boost gauge etc)

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

07-18-2010, 06:50 PM #2
(07-18-2010, 06:23 PM)xswingkidx I'm picking up an 83 300D in a few days and have a few plans for it and am hoping you can give me some advice. It is completely stock right now except for the addition of a neat little kit to make it run on veggie oil. I love the car, but it needs some more power. I found an FMIC for an extremely good price so I might pick it up. Has anyone done this on a W123 and if so how did you mount it? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard. the best thing I can say it to read the threads on this forum, there are plenty of cool projects. I have a FMIC, 2.5" inlet/outlet, for sale that would fit right behind the bumper - Brand new $50.00 + shipping .

Just a word of warning - this shit is addictiveBig Grin
This post was last modified: 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM by Rudolf_Diesel.

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.
Rudolf_Diesel
07-18-2010, 06:50 PM #2

(07-18-2010, 06:23 PM)xswingkidx I'm picking up an 83 300D in a few days and have a few plans for it and am hoping you can give me some advice. It is completely stock right now except for the addition of a neat little kit to make it run on veggie oil. I love the car, but it needs some more power. I found an FMIC for an extremely good price so I might pick it up. Has anyone done this on a W123 and if so how did you mount it? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard. the best thing I can say it to read the threads on this forum, there are plenty of cool projects. I have a FMIC, 2.5" inlet/outlet, for sale that would fit right behind the bumper - Brand new $50.00 + shipping .

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.

ForcedInduction
Banned

07-18-2010, 07:08 PM #3
(07-18-2010, 06:23 PM)xswingkidx except for the addition of a neat little kit to make it run on veggie oil.

That should be the very first thing to change (eliminate). Nothing kills performance like a gummed up engine!
ForcedInduction
07-18-2010, 07:08 PM #3

(07-18-2010, 06:23 PM)xswingkidx except for the addition of a neat little kit to make it run on veggie oil.

That should be the very first thing to change (eliminate). Nothing kills performance like a gummed up engine!

xswingkidx
Unregistered

07-18-2010, 07:22 PM #4
(07-18-2010, 06:50 PM)Rudolf_Diesel Welcome aboard. the best thing I can say it to read the threads on this forum, there are plenty of cool projects. I have a FMIC, 2.5" inlet/outlet, for sale that would fit right behind the bumper - Brand new $50.00 + shipping .

I'm quickly becoming aware of the addictive nature of this. I thought maybe it was just Hondas but I'm starting to think its either me or cars in general.
Can you send me a pic of the FMIC etc? I don't want to jump the gun too much here but for the price it might be in my realm of possibilities, depending on the paycheck of course.
xswingkidx
07-18-2010, 07:22 PM #4

(07-18-2010, 06:50 PM)Rudolf_Diesel Welcome aboard. the best thing I can say it to read the threads on this forum, there are plenty of cool projects. I have a FMIC, 2.5" inlet/outlet, for sale that would fit right behind the bumper - Brand new $50.00 + shipping .

I'm quickly becoming aware of the addictive nature of this. I thought maybe it was just Hondas but I'm starting to think its either me or cars in general.
Can you send me a pic of the FMIC etc? I don't want to jump the gun too much here but for the price it might be in my realm of possibilities, depending on the paycheck of course.

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

07-18-2010, 08:35 PM #5
(07-18-2010, 07:22 PM)xswingkidx

here ya go...

I was originally going to use for my supercharger project, but I changed the final design.
This post was last modified: 07-18-2010, 08:36 PM by Rudolf_Diesel.

Rudolf_Diesel
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM #5

here ya go...

I was originally going to use for my supercharger project, but I changed the final design.

xswingkidx
Unregistered

07-30-2010, 07:40 PM #6
(07-18-2010, 08:35 PM)Rudolf_Diesel

here ya go...

Hey I'm interesting in picking that FMIC but your inbox is full. PM me when you get a second and we can discuss details.
xswingkidx
07-30-2010, 07:40 PM #6

(07-18-2010, 08:35 PM)Rudolf_Diesel

here ya go...

Hey I'm interesting in picking that FMIC but your inbox is full. PM me when you get a second and we can discuss details.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average