STD
Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? (/showthread.php?tid=7220)

Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - 190Gilly - 05-19-2016

Hello all,

Stumbled across a cheap holset h1c. By cheap I mean less than £100. I'm looking for some advice. 

Currently, it's got an 18cm compressor housing and an 18.5cm exhaust. I'd plan to replace the exhaust housing with a 16cm item before I install it, but is the compressor size going to be too big? Can't seem to find any direct answers to my question, which suggests it isn't suitable for the om606.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

RE: Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - TurboTim - 05-19-2016

I think that's a good sized turbo. Will have a nice power band with mid 300's for horsepower. Should make 30psi with 40psi egp

RE: Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - Edian727 - 05-19-2016

that sounds like one of the early dodge 6bt cummins turbo's. yea you'll want a small exhaust housing. IIRC the exhaust housing of a hx-35 will fit, but research that a little before you do it. this should flow slightly less then a hx-35, or so im told. good turbo.

RE: Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - [486] - 05-19-2016

(05-19-2016, 07:57 PM)Edian727 that sounds like one of the early dodge 6bt cummins turbo's. yea you'll want a small exhaust housing. IIRC the exhaust housing of a hx-35 will fit, but research that a little before you do it. this should flow slightly less then a hx-35, or so im told. good turbo.
he's from the UK, it's probably not from a dodge, haha

RE: Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - Hario' - 05-20-2016

(05-19-2016, 09:25 PM)[486]
(05-19-2016, 07:57 PM)Edian727 that sounds like one of the early dodge 6bt cummins turbo's. yea you'll want a small exhaust housing. IIRC the exhaust housing of a hx-35 will fit, but research that a little before you do it. this should flow slightly less then a hx-35, or so im told. good turbo.
he's from the UK, it's probably not from a dodge, haha

Probs DAF or some random plant equipment. The H1C is old and slow compered to HX35, yo ucan get a HX35W for around £100 if you look hard enough (12cm2 housing).

Beers

RE: Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - 190Gilly - 05-20-2016

Hi guys, thank you for your inputs!

Shame the turbo is only up for mid 3's, I was hoping for more like 400. I know the question will have been answered somewhere along the line, but what would you suggest for hat sort of hp? Happy for it to peak between 4K and 6k.

I need to do some more reading on turbos, is it as simple as choosing a bigger turbo like an hx50 (for arguements sake) and attaching a smaller exhaust housing (like a 16/18) ?

Thanks again!

RE: Holset exhaust/compressor housing sizes? - 50harleyrider - 05-20-2016

Start small with your turbo mod unless you want to give up bottom end torque for big HP numbers. The 606 is only a 3L so won't ever have a big bottom end spike like a 4bt cummins so be careful or it won't be fun to daily.