STD
How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suspension (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? (/showthread.php?tid=7156)

How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Dark Hawk - 04-13-2016

The title, how bad is it really? Especially with brand new shocks? How muc does the number of coils effect this? Thanks.

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - whipplem104 - 04-14-2016

depends,
I put an om602 in mine and the car did not even drop an 1".
I cut a few coils off to get the ride height in range and did a little drop while I was at it. It is stiff for sure. I mean pretty stiff. But I also have 17' wheels and it is fine except harsh bumps. Like cracks in the road.

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Dark Hawk - 04-15-2016

Ya I got a pm from another member with stock wheel size who cut 2 coils, got decent drop, and said the ride really didn't change a whole lot so idk. The previous owner of mine replaced the suspension 15k and I don't plan on putting on anything bigger than 15" wheels. Based on your response, the pm, and what I've read on other forums I'm thinking 2-2.5 coils. Thanks

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - capflya - 04-15-2016

I did 1.5 on mine if I remember right and it didn't change much. Cut some and then see how it is. You can always cut more off later, but it's much harder to put the cut pieces back on Wink

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Sultzi - 04-16-2016

I bought new set of 300diesel front springs and harder rear springs and cutted them to lenght I wanted and with them I had GAZ adjustable shocks. It was stiff, but not too much for a dailydriver. Front I took maybe 3 or 4 coils out, don't remember back.. This was with 16" wheels..

[Image: _small.jpg]

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - raysorenson - 04-17-2016

Do you have shorter shocks, Sultzi?

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Sultzi - 04-17-2016

I think they were maybe 30 to 50mm shorter, custom made gaz (just needed to do mounts to the shocks to front and rear for the control arms).

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Dark Hawk - 04-18-2016

Thanks, this really helps

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - EmJay - 04-18-2016

Looks good lowered in the above pic. Might just have to do this myself

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Dark Hawk - 04-18-2016

No doubt it looks great but how bad has tire wear and your oil pan been?

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Sultzi - 04-19-2016

Broke one oil pan, clearance was pretty low from it. And it had om606 st under the hood which I mounted as low as possible.

Tire wear was pretty bad at the back due the big camber (and maybe little bit from the torque too Big Grin). Here you can see the tire (which I already had turned around on the wheel to get little bit more smoke out of it Wink )
[Image: _medium.jpg]

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Dark Hawk - 04-20-2016

Holy shit that's bad! Is that on the front or rear because I heard that you can't adjust the rear camber and if it is the front did you get an alignment after cutting the springs?

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Keino - 04-20-2016

(04-20-2016, 08:03 AM)Dark Hawk Holy shit that's bad! Is that on the front or rear

It's the rear

RE: How much does cutting w123 spring really ruin the ride? - Sultzi - 04-23-2016

Yeah, that's the rear, which I have turned around to get little bit more smoke out of it. One slice did came off while making rolling burnout which you can see Big Grin

Front end had aligment done after lowering, but I did leave there maybe -1 to -1.5 degrees of camber. Front end did wear little bit the inside of the tyre, but nothing bad.

The rear had maybe -3degrees camber Tongue There isn't adjustment from the factory, but of course if you modify the control arm mounting points it's possible.