STD
NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) (/showthread.php?tid=4433)

NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Everybodyghost - 03-20-2013

Hello everyone,

New to the site and to diesel engines in general. I've procured myself a 1980 300TD and a 1982 300D turbo, through some wheeling and dealing.

I hate to be this guy (the one hat comes on a car forum, and asks questions that have been beaten to death), but I got to be.

What I'd like to do, is keep my wagon's current engine, but go +t. Probably something low boost, as I understand that there are probably differences in compression and durability.

So the question becomes: what can I get away with? How much boost is safe, what can be reused that's already in the car, is there a preferable turbo over the stock one (Maybe water cooling?), etc.

I'm planning on an intercooler (where ever I can fit one), possibly a smaller than stock turbo for a quicker spool. What's the stock boost on a 617?

Oh yeah, and everyone loves pictures, right?

[Image: 8574600127_15c67c6d57_c.jpg]
[Image: 8574620947_8b2afecc00_c.jpg]

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Simpler=Better - 03-21-2013

You can add a turbo, heat will kill the motor. You will need an intercooler, turbo injection pump ( or modify the NA pump), and possibly a bigger oil cooler. You should be fine so long as the EGTs stay under control.

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Everybodyghost - 03-21-2013

(03-21-2013, 11:18 AM)Simpler=Better You can add a turbo, heat will kill the motor. You will need an intercooler, turbo injection pump ( or modify the NA pump), and possibly a bigger oil cooler. You should be fine so long as the EGTs stay under control.

While I'm new to diesels, I've had a few turbos in my time. Personally, I wouldn't want to run a turbo without an intercooler (At least on a gas engine, maybe the rules are different for a diesel). I was thinking I could salvage one from a Volvo 240 or 740, they're nice and big. I'd probably have to run it sideways.

I have a turbo injection pump. Are the injectors different as well? Will have to look into an oil cooler, maybe an Rx7 or Datsun cooler would work.

I was thinking that a small turbo at 7 psi would be enough to start with.

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - TheDon - 03-21-2013

best bet...swap a turbo wagon engine

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Everybodyghost - 03-21-2013

(03-21-2013, 11:57 AM)TheDon best bet...swap a turbo wagon engine

Are there differences between the wagon and sedan turbo engines?

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Simpler=Better - 03-21-2013

Wagon has a hydraulic pump in the head to run the rear suspension. Some people have swapping in the power steering/ SLS pump from newer benzes when putting a sedan engine in a wagon.

The turbo motors have a different cam, pistons, oil squirters, and sodium filled exhaust valves.

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - willbhere4u - 03-21-2013

You could use a sedan turbo engine and ditch the SLS suspension and put standard coils in the rear also

(03-21-2013, 02:28 PM)willbhere4u You could use a sedan turbo engine and ditch the SLS suspension and put standard coils in the rear also

I don't know, I may have the only working sls in the world. haha.

This my have all been for nothing, a friend offered me some good cash for the turbo car. Might be too good to pass up.

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Simpler=Better - 03-22-2013

If it's good money take it and run. You can find turbo motors in wrecked cars typically for around $600-$800.

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Everybodyghost - 03-22-2013

(03-22-2013, 08:29 AM)Simpler=Better If it's good money take it and run. You can find turbo motors in wrecked cars typically for around $600-$800.

I'd be doubling my money, I'm running. haha

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - willbhere4u - 03-22-2013

I have two wagons with working SLS one with 480,000 miles

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Everybodyghost - 03-23-2013

(03-22-2013, 10:51 AM)willbhere4u I have two wagons with working SLS one with 480,000 miles

It was hyperbole.

RE: NA to Turbo Q's (aka What can I get away with?) - Everybodyghost - 03-25-2013

Well, so much for that. I'm parting the red car.