STD
Cleaning engine bays - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Open (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Cleaning engine bays (/showthread.php?tid=3605)

Cleaning engine bays - sassparilla_kid - 05-03-2012

I'm just curious how every (well, almost every) time I see a video or pictures of other people's engine bays they are so squeaky clean!? Mine is dirty as, well its pretty dirty lol, and despite having tried to clean it little by little it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there some trick to keeping the engine and everything clean??

RE: Cleaning engine bays - Simpler=Better - 05-03-2012

New gaskets. I kinda regret powerwashing mine though, the block started to rust after I had it clean.

RE: Cleaning engine bays - larsalan - 05-03-2012

How about a can of de-greasser followed up by a garden hose?

RE: Cleaning engine bays - yatzee - 05-03-2012

i don't know if I'd ever put a garden hose on any engine. With all the electronic crap and connectors, I don't really want to encourage any corrosion to start.

RE: Cleaning engine bays - JustPassinThru - 05-03-2012

Pressure washer. There's nothing in the 300D engine bay that high-pressure water will hurt, provided you disconnect the battery first. *Except*, don't spray it directly on the water pump, it might get into the vent hole. If you leave water on the water pump housing, it'll rust. You need not ask me how I know this. Probably a good idea to take it for a 10-mile cruise at 60 MPH as soon as you pressure-wash it, to dry it off. Good idea to lube the throttle linkage, too. Blast out the hood-hinge wells first, then the bottom around the mounts, then the recesses where the injectors sit--that is, get everything washed first that's going to spatter a mess everywhere. Then clean the mess off. Might want to tape plastic over your hoodmat first. Wear discardable clothes. Goggles are a good idea.

RE: Cleaning engine bays - Simpler=Better - 05-03-2012

I used the pressure washer to remove my hood pad Smile

RE: Cleaning engine bays - serverman777 - 05-03-2012

I keep both of my Mercedes Engine bays cleaner than the outside of the car it self. Hit up a walmart and get the super tech foam de-greasser. Go to a car wash. Let the motor cool for a few mins. Then spray the de-gresser on the motor. Let it set for like 5 or mins and then start the car and power wash the shit out of everything. Like everything. Don't be scared water don't hurt anything.

RE: Cleaning engine bays - JustPassinThru - 05-03-2012

(05-03-2012, 10:20 AM)Simpler=Better I used the pressure washer to remove my hood pad Smile

Big Grin I hadn't thought of that. Took four hours to scrape mine off.

(05-03-2012, 10:34 AM)serverman777 ...Don't be scared water don't hurt anything.

Don't pressure-wash the brake booster though. Or, at least, be very careful. A Karcher portable pressure-washer at point-blank range will peel its paint right off. Probably a good idea to do the air cleaner by hand, too (mine's been repainted, so a pressure-washer doesn't hurt it). Doesn't hurt the radiator or oil cooler paint or inside-of-engine-bay paint at all, if you keep the nozzle more than an inch-and-a-half away.

RE: Cleaning engine bays - sassparilla_kid - 05-03-2012

All good tips, thanks guys! I think I'll have to try some of this stuff out. Definitely gonna need to tape a grocery bag or something around my air filter (Fram 8038), and take out the battery first. I guess after that I don't see water hurting anything, since the only electric stuff is the glowplugs and starter, and the valves and pump for my wvo stuff

RE: Cleaning engine bays - Captain America - 05-04-2012

(05-03-2012, 10:20 AM)Simpler=Better I used the pressure washer to remove my hood pad Smile

As did I haha