STD
turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds (/showthread.php?tid=3196)

turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Kennobi75 - 12-24-2011

does anyone have experience with turbobanditens exhaust manifolds ?

http://www.turbobanditen.se/shop/

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - iheartboost - 12-24-2011

holy crap!! thats really expensive! ill take the KKD manifold just cuz its like 100 bucks cheaper

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Kennobi75 - 12-27-2011

what are kkd spec ? does anyone know ?

turbobanditen specs are 42x2mm pipes, twin entry, 60mm wastegate

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - antonmies - 12-28-2011

KKD has 38mmx2mm, but can also be any other size you might need. Other common size is 42,4x2,6mm. Manifold can be twin or single entry and wastegate option as per customers requirement.
I always suggest to go with the smaller pipe for much better response. Does it flow enough? We've seen 1000hp gasoline engines using that size, so yes it does Wink
His manifolds are mild steel and he's certifies welder for any material (except titanium, dunno for sure though) and would be able to legally weld any component to a nuclear power plant for example. Dunno about that for the Chinese MoFo, who made Turbobandit's manifolds.
Not saying they are bad though! But I feel KKD is more at the safe choice side and fully customisable _prior_ to welding.

Hope this helps.

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - bad3gakk - 12-28-2011

Mild steel is the good shit, stainless does not handle the combination of temperature variables and mechanical tension, as mild steel does. Where stainless cracks, or become so stiff, that bolts crack, mild steel just flexes...

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - jeemu - 12-29-2011

KKD make alot manifolds around the world so those are used outside of Finland as well Wink what i know all been satisfied the guality at KKD.
He are made those alot for just racing use as drifters or drag race cars.

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - antonmies - 12-29-2011

Just don't put any wrapping on a mild steel manifold.
The debate for mild vs. stainless is not so straight forward as many thinks. The austenic form in 304 and 316 suits high temperature applications better than mild steel and withstands heat better in chemical point of view. And they are prone too crack if the larger expansion isn't taken in account in the flange and overall design. The most important thing for any manifold is to support the damn turbo!
And for any manifold, It's not the point 'if they crack' but 'when they crack'.
I would like to make mine of 309 or 309S as it has good chemical properties, doesn't need root gas. Basically it has the good points from both worlds (sst - mild)

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - majesty78 - 12-29-2011

A pitty either of them make a manifold for OM613....

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - antonmies - 12-29-2011

Kalle makes anything. Just provide him a gasket to draw the flange and a simple jig or even measures how much space there is, and he'll make it.

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - majesty78 - 12-29-2011

Good to know Anton ;-)

But as you know I will have very little time for playing around with my car in the next month... :-(

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Kennobi75 - 12-29-2011

Ok,, thanks for the info !! Smile

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Kennobi75 - 01-02-2012

just for the record,
turbobanditten say they make their manifolds in sweden or russia..no china product, at least thats what they say..
i think they are russians living in sweden.

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - antonmies - 01-02-2012

Yes they are (Russians that is). To be honest, it's no matter where the product is being made but that matters if the QC is good or even exists...

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - kkdmotorsport - 02-16-2012

(12-24-2011, 01:47 AM)Kennobi75 does anyone have experience with turbobanditens exhaust manifolds ?

http://www.turbobanditen.se/shop/
Looks China manifold Confused

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Kennobi75 - 02-16-2012

Ok,, good to know Smile

i choose your kkd manifold Smile

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - erling66 - 02-16-2012

(12-29-2011, 11:54 AM)antonmies Just don't put any wrapping on a mild steel manifold.

Why? will it get too hot and crack or twist?

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - 2996 - 02-21-2012

Please tell us more about not wrapping KKD manifolds. What would you suggest, a coating of some type?

Would it be possible for Kalle to use 304, 309 or 309S instead of mild steel since he is likely certified for those materials?

I would much rather buy a manifold from KKD rather than Turbobanditen, I just wish KKD could use some grade of stainless, then I could use thermal wrapping on the runners. I used thermal wrapping on other project cars, and it does improve response, documented from datalogs before and after the wrap from less thermal loss, and lowers ambient temperatures within the engine compartment. I do not care about how one looks over the other, it should be mentioned Wink

(12-29-2011, 11:54 AM)antonmies Just don't put any wrapping on a mild steel manifold.
The debate for mild vs. stainless is not so straight forward as many thinks. The austenic form in 304 and 316 suits high temperature applications better than mild steel and withstands heat better in chemical point of view. And they are prone too crack if the larger expansion isn't taken in account in the flange and overall design. The most important thing for any manifold is to support the damn turbo!
And for any manifold, It's not the point 'if they crack' but 'when they crack'.
I would like to make mine of 309 or 309S as it has good chemical properties, doesn't need root gas. Basically it has the good points from both worlds (sst - mild)

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - majesty78 - 02-21-2012

This confuses me a little bit.

Actually, at least from what I know referring to turbo technic, most of cracking in turbine housings occur due to fast changes between hot and cold.
So from this point of view, a wrapping should actually help to prevent cracking because of the heat isolation effect.....???

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Savitas - 02-23-2012

(12-28-2011, 08:14 PM)antonmies KKD has 38mmx2mm, but can also be any other size you might need. Other common size is 42,4x2,6mm.

42.4 mm is outside or inside pipe diametre? Thanks

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - EDH_Performance - 02-23-2012

(02-23-2012, 01:10 AM)Savitas
(12-28-2011, 08:14 PM)antonmies KKD has 38mmx2mm, but can also be any other size you might need. Other common size is 42,4x2,6mm.

Outside is the standard measurementWink

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Savitas - 02-23-2012

(02-23-2012, 07:34 AM)EDH_Performance
(02-23-2012, 01:10 AM)Savitas

Outside is the standard measurementWink

Thanks, I just want to be sure Wink

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - 2996 - 02-28-2012

So, can or will KKD construct manifolds in anything other than mild steel, and if properly painted with a high temperature coating, can the mild steel Kalle uses withstand thermal wrapping? A paying customer would like to know Cool

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Kennobi75 - 03-08-2012

recieved my 42.4 mm kkd manifold today.. it sure looks nice Smile

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Booster - 03-13-2012

(03-08-2012, 04:24 AM)Kennobi75 recieved my 42.4 mm kkd manifold today.. it sure looks nice Smile

Could you post some pictures please??

What turbo are you putting on it?

Cheers

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - winmutt - 03-15-2012

On the website, that 2nd from left blue benz with red star. I've seen utubes of it running. It is the nuts.

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - Robert_UAH - 03-16-2012

(02-16-2012, 02:38 PM)erling66

Why? will it get too hot and crack or twist?

From what I remember, wrapping usually promotes rust on the manifold.

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - winmutt - 07-12-2016

Anyone have a link to the manifolds on kkd's site?

RE: turbobanditen VS kkd manifolds - 124diesel - 07-12-2016

(07-12-2016, 05:10 PM)winmutt Anyone have a link to the manifolds on kkd's site?

From what I remembered they don't have a section for that. I worked with them directly through email. I would suggest going with a different company. After a two month delay, incorrect manifold design ( Sent pictures of requirements/ design and a manifold that had a warped flange you could say I wasn't too happy. Cheap heat treatment that would scratch off too easily with no effort that I had to sand blast and ceramic coat.

Obviously everyone has different experiences with the same companies but wanted to give my .2 cents.