STD
hd vs comfort - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Suspension (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: hd vs comfort (/showthread.php?tid=3153)

hd vs comfort - winmutt - 11-27-2011

so i was at jy and found a 190 w new bilstein comforts in the rear. i put them in my 87 today and was surprised at how relatively firm they were. for 10$ i cant complain.

RE: hd vs comfort - JustPassinThru - 11-27-2011

On the same theme, but I don't know whether this still holds true or not: back around 1993, a Mercedes dealership service rep in Fulda, Germany, where I was stationed with 11th Armored Cav --Herr Moritz, his name was, if memory serves-- told me that, if you want best handling and all-around performance on a W123 or any other Mercedes, buy Michelin tires. But for smoothest ride, and much quieter, buy Continentals.

RE: hd vs comfort - iheartboost - 11-27-2011

man i would love a stiff ride. driving this mercedes feels like im driving on pillows. good for people that want comfort but i need more road feel.

to be honest my cobalt could use some stiffer springs. i think i would be happiest in a race car driving around... lol

RE: hd vs comfort - sassparilla_kid - 11-28-2011

Somebody needs to develop a hydraulic suspension sytem like they had on the old 600 limos, I saw on Top Gear they could switch from low pressure for luxury driving to higher pressure for evading terrorists and what not Tongue

RE: hd vs comfort - mike-81-240d - 11-28-2011

I have brand new HD's... They are very harsh. But hey I like it rough.

RE: hd vs comfort - jonbobshinigin - 11-29-2011

My 124 Wagon has bad shocks when I got it so I can hardly give you a comparison, but I went ahead and put some HDs in and it was a big difference. That said, prior to the upgrade, I would bump the bumper going into a gas station slowly so they were way done! It was the beginning of my full suspension overhaul so as I said, I cannot tell you how it compares on my car. However, it is much more firm than any other 124 I have ridden in and much louder I think as well. As of now I have done EVERYTHING except rear hydroshocks and springs all the way around. I plan on putting some Sportline Springs in soon.

RE: hd vs comfort - JustPassinThru - 11-29-2011

@winmutt: Do you notice any difference in ride noise, with the Comforts?

RE: hd vs comfort - w123love - 11-30-2011

(11-27-2011, 10:19 PM)iheartboost man i would love a stiff ride.

whoah. TMI Big Grin

RE: hd vs comfort - sassparilla_kid - 11-30-2011

^^^Hahaha

RE: hd vs comfort - mike-81-240d - 11-30-2011

(11-30-2011, 12:59 AM)w123love
(11-27-2011, 10:19 PM)iheartboost man i would love a stiff ride.

whoah. TMI Big Grin

Hey it's alright... Some of us like it harsh/rough.
(11-29-2011, 05:56 PM)jonbobshinigin My 124 Wagon has bad shocks when I got it so I can hardly give you a comparison, but I went ahead and put some HDs in and it was a big difference. That said, prior to the upgrade, I would bump the bumper going into a gas station slowly so they were way done! It was the beginning of my full suspension overhaul so as I said, I cannot tell you how it compares on my car. However, it is much more firm than any other 124 I have ridden in and much louder I think as well. As of now I have done EVERYTHING except rear hydroshocks and springs all the way around. I plan on putting some Sportline Springs in soon.

I didn't notice any noise difference. Are you sure you didn't change tires at the same time?... Wink

RE: hd vs comfort - iheartboost - 12-02-2011

(11-30-2011, 12:59 AM)w123love whoah. TMI Big Grin

man you went there.. lol

RE: hd vs comfort - willbhere4u - 12-02-2011

I think the HD's are the way to go I put them on my 240d and love them they are firm around corners but smooth over bumps

RE: hd vs comfort - winmutt - 12-03-2011

(11-29-2011, 09:03 PM)JustPassinThru @winmutt: Do you notice any difference in ride noise, with the Comforts?

Ride noise? No. The comforts are going to hold me over to spring. I am still getting rubbing on the rear fenders in the hard corners....

RE: hd vs comfort - iheartboost - 12-21-2011

Along the same topic whats the most damped shock made for the 124s?

RE: hd vs comfort - winmutt - 12-23-2011

Good luck getting any numbers! I dare you to call the manufacturers and get us numbers!

RE: hd vs comfort - iheartboost - 12-23-2011

im not really looking for specifications, just which manufacture makes the stiffest shock. i know koni makes a set that are adjustable for our cars. that might be my best bet.