STD
Purple turbo 240D - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Purple turbo 240D (/showthread.php?tid=3076)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Purple turbo 240D - aaa - 09-03-2012

617 Sanden style A/C Compressor Mounting Kit For Sale + Installation Instructions

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Hercules - 09-03-2012

Thanks for the Info.
Hercules

RE: Purple turbo 240D - DeliveryValve - 09-03-2012

Here is one that's been advertised around the internet and they have a eBay store.

http://www.klimakit.com/klima-ac-compressor-upgrade-kit/

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 09-03-2012

(09-03-2012, 09:24 AM)DeliveryValve Here is one that's been advertised around the internet and they have a eBay store.

http://www.klimakit.com/klima-ac-compressor-upgrade-kit/

thats the one I was originally going to get but its like $600 bucks for everything, Not sure if its worth it right now. I looked on ebay I can get remanufactured sanden compressors from a Mazda for $50 (i think their reman. but they might also just be used.)

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 09-03-2012

(09-02-2012, 02:36 PM)Purplecomputer
(09-02-2012, 02:14 PM)Greazzer LOL ...

I have wasted hours and hours on the same simple tasks until I got the right tool, and took a break, and then the whole process seemed magical and done in an hour or so.

Can you work on your car from a mental ward ? I doubt it, so you need to stick around to fix the ol'e girl.

haha, OM616 is right I need to take a break and call in for help. I cant do it alone.

Also as I went crazy today at work, I have decided I am going to buy a Sanden A/C compressor conversion kit for the car. Heard it was better and uses less HP.

There is a nice long post on PP exactly on this topic !

(09-03-2012, 04:13 PM)Greazzer
(09-02-2012, 02:36 PM)Purplecomputer
(09-02-2012, 02:14 PM)Greazzer LOL ...

I have wasted hours and hours on the same simple tasks until I got the right tool, and took a break, and then the whole process seemed magical and done in an hour or so.

Can you work on your car from a mental ward ? I doubt it, so you need to stick around to fix the ol'e girl.

haha, OM616 is right I need to take a break and call in for help. I cant do it alone.

Also as I went crazy today at work, I have decided I am going to buy a Sanden A/C compressor conversion kit for the car. Heard it was better and uses less HP.

There is a nice long post on PP exactly on this topic !

theres a post about my project?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 09-03-2012

This topic : "Sanden A/C compressor conversion kit for the car"

(09-03-2012, 05:30 PM)Simpler=Better This topic : "Sanden A/C compressor conversion kit for the car"

DOH!Blush

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 09-04-2012

LOL. No, not your specific project but this exact topic .... too funny. I know you got the DOH out there but I could not help myself ... you are taking this too seriously. Enjoy your car !

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 09-04-2012

(09-04-2012, 04:06 PM)Greazzer LOL. No, not your specific project but this exact topic .... too funny. I know you got the DOH out there but I could not help myself ... you are taking this too seriously. Enjoy your car !

Yeah I realized that a few hours after i posted what you really meant.

I am taking a break from working on the car but I will say I will have the car tuned professionally by a friend the 23rd.

We will (or he will) turn my OM616 into what it should have really been in the first place and prove all those turbo 616 nay sayers.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - OM616 - 09-27-2012

I hear that you had you governor adjusted and PCs reamed a touch, what do you think?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 09-27-2012

Yeah bitch give us the details already!!!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 09-27-2012

And the verdict is ........... ?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - ronnie - 09-28-2012

He made it home without jail time....but tryed real hard. think he mistook rt 95 for the speed limit.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 09-28-2012

We need a good quality video! Get a copilot to ride with you and do some runs.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 09-28-2012

It must have been those sweet injectors !

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 09-28-2012

(09-28-2012, 09:57 AM)Greazzer It must have been those sweet injectors !

I can't endorse balanced injectors enough. Best $$ per smoothness-I could balance a glass of water on my engine!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 09-28-2012

Hey guys, The car is fuggin AWESOME.

its raining pretty bad today so I dunno if I can post a video.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 09-28-2012

What ? No water proof video equipment ... It is getting back to being freaky deeky hot in S.C. Over 90F and humid.... What's that crap about global warming ? LOL.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - OM616 - 09-28-2012

(09-28-2012, 11:28 AM)Purplecomputer Hey guys, The car is fuggin AWESOME.

It should be an easer sell now. That is if you still intend to get rid of it.Rolleyes

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-01-2012

(09-28-2012, 02:52 PM)OM616
(09-28-2012, 11:28 AM)Purplecomputer Hey guys, The car is fuggin AWESOME.

It should be an easer sell now. That is if you still intend to get rid of it.Rolleyes

I got the back bumper all sorted out so it sits all nice, the car accelerates like a champ. I can pass big old trucks, ricer ass holes and soccer moms like there's no tommorow.

Got in a race with some nissan alitima dooooosh hole, beat his ass. (Sorta, he got stuck at a red light Cool )

I want to put a little more boost, right now its not pushing anything more then 9psi (I should probably keep it there to keep the car running longer, but whatevsss)

My next project is to get stiffer shocks (Bilstein HD) and Either get lowering springs or cut the current springs I have (ill probably sand blast them and repaint them for rust projection)

I would like an opinion on the spring part though

Ill post some videos later today maybe

Also I want to repaint the driver side fender, the paint is starting to chip real bad ( might prep it myself and then take it to a shop)

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-01-2012

Well heres one video of me accelerating from 60 up to 80

[Image: th_20121001_153200.jpg]

found a puddle of oil under the car, thought it was fuel. When I went to check to see if I had a cracked hose or something, this is what I found

[Image: 20121001_163419.jpg]
[Image: 20121001_163429.jpg]
[Image: 20121001_163440.jpg]
[Image: 20121001_163450.jpg]

Broken boots (is that what they're called?)

driver side Has one broken and the other in pretty bad shape, the passenger side had both broken. Can I get away with just replacing the boots or should I replace the axels?

Anyway, Ya'll anti WVO guys are gonna hate me, never mind the fact that the classic Mercedes guys want to hang me for adding a turbo to my 240 and running it on veggie

but I made a fresh batch of oil and the car still runs great, before it use to run so slow but with the pump putting out more fuel its like im still driving on diesel!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 10-01-2012

Very nice !

I think you can get cv half's for about $60 bucks a pop. I suggest replacing both. About a 3-4 hour operation !
Don't let the grease hata's get to you. I will be burning grease by the end of month ... one year hiatus as of 10/21. Grease is the word !

RE: Purple turbo 240D - ronnie - 10-02-2012

You can get boots that are split so they go on without takeing off the shaft. I did this on my old 300. Just repack with grease before putting them on. I think your old shafts are mostly likely still good. you will hear nasty noises if they are bad, I did not hear anything when you were here.

You should be able to adjust the waste gate some more. Remember to loosen the nut then turn in the screw, think it was around a 2.5 mm allen. If boost does not go up more after more adjustment then more fuel would be needed. Based on your egt's I would be reluctant to go more fuel, if you want a reliable daily driver.

Horsepower is kind of additive is'nt it?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - OM616 - 10-02-2012

(10-02-2012, 06:08 PM)ronnie You can get boots that are split so they go on without takeing off the shaft. I did this on my old 300. Just repack with grease before putting them on. I think your old shafts are mostly likely still good. you will hear nasty noises if they are bad, I did not hear anything when you were here.

You should be able to adjust the waste gate some more. Remember to loosen the nut then turn in the screw, think it was around a 2.5 mm allen. If boost does not go up more after more adjustment then more fuel would be needed. Based on your egt's I would be reluctant to go more fuel, if you want a reliable daily driver.

If it will take more advance would be worth a bump,.. that will increase bottom end torque and lower EGTs allowing for more fuel.Big Grin

Then there is cam timing....

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 10-02-2012

You drove that thing so fast, it tore the rubber off the damm axles !

RE: Purple turbo 240D - ronnie - 10-02-2012

I would have liked to check cam timing and give the ip a little more timing as well.

Took mine in the mountains last weekend, real twisty turns, lots of fun..... New tires stick like glue, put 205/70 BF Goodrich T/A's on.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - DeliveryValve - 10-02-2012

(10-01-2012, 10:52 AM)Purplecomputer ....

I would like an opinion on the spring part though

Get 300d front springs and cut them. It will stiffen up your ride and install a 300td front swaybar. For the rears, get 300d rear springs or get stock progressive springs pn# 123 324 35 04.

Btw- I'll have a set of 300d springs, fronts cut already but you'll might need to cut them more if you want your car lower and progressives for sale.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-03-2012

(10-02-2012, 06:08 PM)ronnie You can get boots that are split so they go on without takeing off the shaft. I did this on my old 300. Just repack with grease before putting them on. I think your old shafts are mostly likely still good. you will hear nasty noises if they are bad, I did not hear anything when you were here.

Are these the boots you are talking about?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-SUV-TRUCK-SPLIT-BOOT-CV-JOINT-BOOT-KIT-/380226626191?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588745e28f&vxp=mtr

Unfortunaley it has rained alot and I had to drive in the weather so the axels got wet and probably full of water. No noise yet.

Also I am going to ditch the guages and create a boost + egt gauge and maybe some other fancy doodas using an arduino micro controller. Ill probbly build it and code it along with one of my professors. Shouldnt be too hard. If All goes well I might be able to custom make them for you 617 guys.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - w123love - 10-03-2012

Zadatech has exactly that

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-03-2012

(10-03-2012, 12:29 PM)w123love Zadatech has exactly that

I Know lots of companies make them already but by doing it myself and coding the arduino board I can make complete customizations add extra features whenever I want and plus it will be a fun project and good learning experience.

EDIT: sorry should have checked the site, They have most of the parts I need. mostly boost sensor. Might add outside air temp sensor too.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - ronnie - 10-03-2012

Yes this is the type of boot. See if they have one specific to our cars.

speedi-boot 03661 This is not the correct one but it works. Do Yoga before working on it.......

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-04-2012

(10-03-2012, 04:49 PM)ronnie Yes this is the type of boot. See if they have one specific to our cars.

speedi-boot 03661 This is not the correct one but it works. Do Yoga before working on it.......

Woah, they're only 7 dollars on auto zone

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Quick-Boot-CV/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=776

They are the same on both ends of the axel right?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - ronnie - 10-04-2012

yes same on both ends

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-07-2012

OKay so here are my projects for the week

Fix the axle boots
Straight pipe the car

Winter mods, things I can do inside

Restuff the front seats

I will be using Nu-Foam and pool noodles and I will be installing these
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-628-040-Universal-Seat-Heater/dp/B002U6IL9O

gets real cold here on LI in the winter and heated seats would be great.

ill post pictures of the straight pipe and new boots and then Ill maybe make a tutorial on how I went about fixing the seats.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 10-07-2012

As for seats, your BEST bet is to add an extra spring. There is a slot already built in and 100% better than the fun noodle trick. Makes the seat just about perfect and it will last a lot longer and no weird bulges.

BTW -- would you be willing to offer for sale the audrino board business for forum members ?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-07-2012

(10-07-2012, 02:30 PM)Greazzer As for seats, your BEST bet is to add an extra spring. There is a slot already built in and 100% better than the fun noodle trick. Makes the seat just about perfect and it will last a lot longer and no weird bulges.

BTW -- would you be willing to offer for sale the audrino board business for forum members ?

Yes I wouldnt mind making the arduino boards for forum members but I need to get the prototype down first, and start coding. Might take a while before I get to all that stuff.

I was thinking of incorporating

EGT, Boost, Outside Temp and RPM and for me I was thinking of converint my grease car copilot into the same arduino board so I will have a "command Center" so to speak of.

Will be some hard work, mostly the coding part. Im not that great of a coder :/

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 10-07-2012

How tough is it to make something like a timer and a "thermostat". That is, running 2 electric solonoids which would turn on when the grease hit 120 F, a delay between the two tanks to reduce contamination. I know they sell kits and controllers already for this, but their price tags are silly. I used manual valves for years and it was OK, fool proof, but sometimes a pain in the butt.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 10-08-2012

(10-07-2012, 09:11 PM)Greazzer How tough is it to make something like a timer and a "thermostat". That is, running 2 electric solonoids which would turn on when the grease hit 120 F, a delay between the two tanks to reduce contamination. I know they sell kits and controllers already for this, but their price tags are silly. I used manual valves for years and it was OK, fool proof, but sometimes a pain in the butt.

Its not tough to physically make it but the code might be difficult (for me at least)

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 12-19-2012

Hey guys,

So I have been having trouble selling the merc. (lack of interest)

I got a new car, a 2012 Golf TDI w/ 6 speed. Love the car

So in the meantime i think I will fix up the Mercedes a lil. First off is the vacuum issue.

I replaced the Diaphragm but I still have a weak vacuum. No oil leaks from the lines anymore.

I am thinking the check valves may have also gone on the pump.

In terms of cost effectiveness, what would be better?

rebuild the pump myself or buy a rebuilt one?

Time is not an issue anymore since I dont have plates for the car.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 12-19-2012

If you can wait about 3-4 weeks, I got a GREAT working vacuum pump available.

(12-19-2012, 11:07 AM)Greazzer If you can wait about 3-4 weeks, I got a GREAT working vacuum pump available.

Is is the older style with the diaphragm or are both interchangeable?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 12-19-2012

Block that shit off, sell the pump housing, and buy an electric vac pump for the booster. You're only using the vac pump for brakes, locks, & shutdown anyway.

I agree with Simpler= Better. That is what I am donig and that is why I will have the VP. Its off a OM617.912 engine. I can take a snappie or 2 if you want.

(12-19-2012, 11:10 AM)Simpler=Better Block that shit off, sell the pump housing, and buy an electric vac pump for the booster. You're only using the vac pump for brakes, locks, & shutdown anyway.

hmm, Sounds like a fun conversion. Care to point me in the right direction in terms of pumps?

YOU NEED TO GO AND STUDY !!!!!

(12-19-2012, 12:56 PM)Greazzer YOU NEED TO GO AND STUDY !!!!!

Yeah cmon' kid. The only reason I got my VNT system was because I skipped a lot of class. But then I took 500 years and a million bucks to graduate.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - sassparilla_kid - 12-19-2012

I hate studying. Also, I think a vac pump from an older Cummins would work nicely

F350's have an electric one under the hood for the HVAC, $75 brand new from NAPA.

Or a hydro brake setup using the power steering pump

Or a bigass master cylinder (My plan for my build one day)

Seriously though, trade me this thing for my motorcycles. You will be beating the women off you. I'll throw in two helmets.
[Image: 1989kawasakizx600c2.jpg]
It has since been cleaned up, repainted semi gloss black, and is mean as fuck
[Image: 20121em.jpg]
[Image: headlightss.jpg]
[Image: ignfd.jpg]
[Image: tailm.jpg]

Just finished my 3rd out of 4 finals. Assembler language is pretty hard