STD
Purple turbo 240D - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Other (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Purple turbo 240D (/showthread.php?tid=3076)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 11-05-2014

The turbo 240 had changed hands. It is now mine!

Smile

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 11-05-2014

Damn straight, gotta keep it STD'd up!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 11-06-2014

As an aside i now understand how purplecomputer got into the repeat accidents. The traffic situation getting to where he lives is nuts. I saw a 5 or 6 car pileup on the way down, and on the way back getting off LI and away from NY was a tense ordeal with a loaded trailer. The typical NYC and surrounding area driving experience.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 11-06-2014

(11-06-2014, 07:47 AM)JB3 As an aside i now understand how purplecomputer got into the repeat accidents. The traffic situation getting to where he lives is nuts. I saw a 5 or 6 car pileup on the way down, and on the way back getting off LI and away from NY was a tense ordeal with a loaded trailer. The typical NYC and surrounding area driving experience.

Its a mess out here. A lot of the parkways are only three lanes created in the early 1900's for the rich folks when like four people lived on the Island during the summer.

Its hard now to widen the roads due to all the housing around it. Lots of houses would have to be demolished.

I am very happy you now have the car. I know its in good hands and you are genuinely a nice guy.

oh, I forgot to give you the spare tire and jack from the car. Next time you're out here. come pick it up!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 11-10-2014

thanks!

looking forward to tinkering with it. The wife even likes the color!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 11-11-2014

(11-10-2014, 12:31 PM)JB3 thanks!

looking forward to tinkering with it. The wife even likes the color!

Cant wait to see what youll do to it.

Oh before I forget. One of the things I wanted to do when I was going to install the master clutch cylinder was to replace all the brake fluid in the car with new fluid.

I never changed it the four years i had the car and Im not sure when the last time the original owner did, because ya know....he died.

by the way, weren't you working on a turbo 240D w115?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 11-11-2014

Sill have that 115 with a 617 turbo, the 240 is parked in front of it. Lots of projects building up. It will be a while before i can get into the purpleturbo, but its in great minimal rust shape and im going to make a nice summer car out of it!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 01-04-2015

so some pics of the purpleturbo as it awaits some spare time.

Car is in great condition as far as rust, I can find next to none. A first for me. Apart from a couple dents its a nice car, nice clean interior with all the simplification I desire. Have decided to go back to US spec 5mph bumpers because of the accident curse this 240 seems to have.

[Image: 20141203_144452_zps04231119.jpg]
[Image: 20141203_144403_zpsf1f3b9ae.jpg]

gonna get it rolling and see what a body shop friend of mine has to say about the trunk corners.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - DeliveryValve - 01-04-2015

(01-04-2015, 12:33 AM)JB3 so some pics of the purpleturbo as it awaits some spare time.

I think in honor of Purplecomputer and the purple turbo namesake, you really ought to paint the turbo purple. Cool

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 01-04-2015

(01-04-2015, 10:35 AM)DeliveryValve
(01-04-2015, 12:33 AM)JB3 so some pics of the purpleturbo as it awaits some spare time.

I think in honor of Purplecomputer and the purple turbo namesake, you really ought to paint the turbo purple. Cool

Cannot argue with this wisdom

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 01-06-2015

I miss this car so bad.

Maybe you'll have better luck outside of NY with the accidents.

a purple turbo would be pretty sweet. Maybe you can do all the cool things I never got around to.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 01-09-2015

(01-06-2015, 01:29 PM)Purplecomputer I miss this car so bad.

Maybe you'll have better luck outside of NY with the accidents.

a purple turbo would be pretty sweet. Maybe you can do all the cool things I never got around to.

Magicbus has a trunk lid same color and year 240 i intend to grab this weekend. Then we can see if a non bent lid closes or not

Fingers crossed on accidents!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 01-09-2015

(01-04-2015, 10:35 AM)DeliveryValve

X2

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 01-09-2015

Look inside the trunk and in particular the spare tire well. You will see the 2 "arms" which are somewhat similar to the crumple zones on the front arms post engine brackets. If they are crumpled, then it will most likely need a little rack love to pull them out.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 02-07-2015

(01-09-2015, 10:38 PM)Greazzer Look inside the trunk and in particular the spare tire well. You will see the 2 "arms" which are somewhat similar to the crumple zones on the front arms post engine brackets. If they are crumpled, then it will most likely need a little rack love to pull them out.

It really doesnt look more than cosmetic, but we will see once some snow melts.

Of course I waited far to long to try and get it in the garage, and....

[Image: 20150207_133649_zpsi3wpu45o.jpg]

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Greazzer - 02-08-2015

(02-07-2015, 01:48 PM)JB3
(01-09-2015, 10:38 PM)Greazzer Look inside the trunk and in particular the spare tire well. You will see the 2 "arms" which are somewhat similar to the crumple zones on the front arms post engine brackets. If they are crumpled, then it will most likely need a little rack love to pull them out.

Holy Shit ! I hate snow ...

RE: Purple turbo 240D - sassparilla_kid - 02-08-2015

You can't start the car and idle it for an hour with the heater on to melt the snow off? (I have very little experience with this much snow so I'm not sure if that idea will actually work, but part of me wants to think it will)

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 02-08-2015

(02-08-2015, 03:33 AM)sassparilla_kid You can't start the car and idle it for an hour with the heater on to melt the snow off? (I have very little experience with this much snow so I'm not sure if that idea will actually work, but part of me wants to think it will)

dig it out.

the bottom layer on the car will melt and refreeze as thick ice if I tried to melt it off, if there were a battery and the clutch was operating. Big Grin
plus it would probably overheat if I didn't clear the grill and hood area.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - wolverine - 02-08-2015

(02-08-2015, 02:43 AM)Greazzer
(02-07-2015, 01:48 PM)JB3

Holy Shit ! I hate snow ...

Holy shit is right!! I guess your boss cant be mad that you were late to work if you sent him this pic, LOL!!!!!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Edian727 - 02-13-2015

Im jealous, and so is my snowmobile. I live maybe 100 miles from canada and we have..... no snow Sad.

I think it'll drive out, i mean its a mercedes, lol.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 01-18-2016

Thanks to JB3's generosity and lack of free time, this thing is now in my hands, running, driving, and registered. Need to resolve issues with the driver's-side foglight and turn signal and have the windshield replaced (major chip) before it will pass the MA safety inspection. I've driven this thing about 100 miles already and love it.

So far I've: installed and bled a clutch master, installed a temporary replacement trunk lid, crammed taillights into the rear, flushed the brakes, reinstalled the interior rearview mirror, and replaced the master cylinder reservoir cap.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 01-20-2016

WOAH!

I have been monitoring this forum for any updates to this thread and I finally got one.

So glad you are working on it and enjoying it.

any plans on fixing the rear end?

pictures please Smile

Once you get bored of it, maybe you can sell it back to me in a few years Wink

RE: Purple turbo 240D - MFSuper90 - 01-21-2016

I'm still wondering about the six sewing machines and nine vacuums Big Grin

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 01-22-2016

(01-20-2016, 08:46 AM)Purplecomputer WOAH!

I have been monitoring this forum for any updates to this thread and I finally got one.

So glad you are working on it and enjoying it.

any plans on fixing the rear end?

pictures please Smile

Once you get bored of it, maybe you can sell it back to me in a few years Wink

The car is a lot of fun.  The turbo is quite seamless.  The only time I feel like I'm driving an NA is when I first take off from an intersection.  The car is amazing on the highway.  I was going 70-80 MPH for most of the trip home, but at one point a GL-series and a Range Rover passed me on an uphill at a good clip, and so I merged into the left lane behind them and managed to hit 90 on the uphill before I had to back for the crest -- it was still pulling!  It's been a little difficult to get going in the morning if it's in the 20s or colder, but I did get it going after about 30 seconds of cranking yesterday,  when it was probably around 20 degrees.

I need to sort out a bunch of wiring so that I can pass inspection, but once I've done that, changed the oil, and adjusted the valves (waiting on a gasket for that), my plan is to hold the car in place by running a strap between the front tow hook and a large tree stump in the yard, attach a 4x4 piece of wood to the inside rear of the trunk opening, and tie two straps around that at the taillight openings and pull both of those straps with a comealong attached to a basketball pole to pull out the damage.

The exciting thing that I'm planning is the installation of a 717.400 that I have on hand.  I think the 5-speed will really transform this car on the highway.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of the car taken by MagicBus over on PeachParts when I stopped at his place on my way home with the car.  I don't have any of my own yet... Sad.  

MagicBus Indeed I did. Homebuilt with Home Depot parts. Took maybe $20 to put it together. Inflation may have brought that number up a bit now...? I built mine years ago.

Spoiler alert - the car is on the road! Incidentally, I hope Molyapina doesn't mind me posting these, but I snapped a few photos when he stopped by to return the tool:

[Image: 23799193414_19d3ce7493_c.jpg]

[Image: 24427394515_87e5c88e6d_c.jpg]

[Image: 24401187236_03b27ffff4_c.jpg]

Clean car. I suspect he'll be very happy with it.

Not bored yet Big Grin, but I will let you know if I am.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 01-23-2016

Progress is being stunted by some dumb stomach bug. Sad

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 01-24-2016

(01-23-2016, 02:55 PM)Jooseppi Luna Progress is being stunted by some dumb stomach bug. Sad

Feel better!

I am super happy you took on this project.

I put a lot of work into that car, even if it doesn't show.

Whats peachparts saying about the car?

Ive never posted there in fear of them flaming me because of a turbo on a 240!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 01-25-2016

(01-24-2016, 09:03 PM)Purplecomputer
(01-23-2016, 02:55 PM)Jooseppi Luna Progress is being stunted by some dumb stomach bug. Sad

Feel better!

Well, the ride is quite nice with the rebuilt rear suspension Smile.  And the turbo really kicks butt!

Did you install the drilled and slotted rotors or was that someone else?

So JN Phillips came by and patched the chip in my windshield for $75.  I was really impressed by their work -- there was a chip almost the size of a dime in the windshield, and after their work, try as I hard, I can't find where the patch is!

Haven't had a chance to post a project thread about the car on PP yet -- just started two help-seeking threads so far.  leathermang is seemingly on hiatus right now, so that's one less person to give me grief Big Grin.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 01-25-2016

(01-25-2016, 01:58 PM)Jooseppi Luna
(01-24-2016, 09:03 PM)Purplecomputer

Feel better!

Well, the ride is quite nice with the rebuilt rear suspension Smile.  And the turbo really kicks butt!

Did you install the drilled and slotted rotors or was that someone else?

So JN Phillips came by and patched the chip in my windshield for $75.  I was really impressed by their work -- there was a chip almost the size of a dime in the windshield, and after their work, try as I hard, I can't find where the patch is!

Haven't had a chance to post a project thread about the car on PP yet -- just started two help-seeking threads so far.  leathermang is seemingly on hiatus right now, so that's one less person to give me grief Big Grin.

Actually, its the biggest change in performance was the new clutch i threw in last year. The car really struggled to accelrate with the old clutch.

I installed drill slotted rotors. All 4 calipers are brand new and so are most of the lines. (you probably noticed this)

I dont remember fixing the rear suspension but im glad you are enjoying this car.

Glad to see its back on the road.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 01-25-2016

(01-25-2016, 01:58 PM)Jooseppi Luna Haven't had a chance to post a project thread about the car on PP yet -- just started two help-seeking threads so far.  leathermang is seemingly on hiatus right now, so that's one less person to give me grief Big Grin.

hes off at a grief support group meeting for the lack of availability on 175SR14 early 80s tires.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 01-25-2016

(01-25-2016, 03:02 PM)Purplecomputer Actually, its the biggest change in performance was the new clutch i threw in last year. The car really struggled to accelrate with the old clutch.

I installed drill slotted rotors. All 4 calipers are brand new and so are most of the lines. (you probably noticed this)

I dont remember fixing the rear suspension but im glad you are enjoying this car.

Glad to see its back on the road.
Ohhh that's right, I forgot that you mentioned a new clutch!  It's definitely one of the nicer clutches that I've driven.  The brakes on this thing are also super tight.

You listed the rear suspension rebuild in one of the first few pages of your build thread Smile.  EDIT: Whoops, looks like maybe not a full-on rebuild, but you did replace a bunch of rubber back there.  Top of page 2.

BTW, I remember you mentioning that you think that the KYB shocks you installed need to be replaced.  Why is that?  Did you think the ride quality was deteriorating, or what?
(01-25-2016, 03:47 PM)JB3
(01-25-2016, 01:58 PM)Jooseppi Luna Haven't had a chance to post a project thread about the car on PP yet -- just started two help-seeking threads so far.  leathermang is seemingly on hiatus right now, so that's one less person to give me grief Big Grin.

hes off at a grief support group meeting for the lack of availability on 175SR14 early 80s tires.

That's right.  Because the engineers could have spec'd 195/70 R14 tires, and the fact that they didn't most likely indicates that 195/70 R14 tires probably means that they pose a danger in emergency handling maneuvers.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Simpler=Better - 01-25-2016

I'm glad this car stayed in the family Smile

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 01-26-2016

(01-25-2016, 04:24 PM)Jooseppi Luna Ohhh that's right, I forgot that you mentioned a new clutch!  It's definitely one of the nicer clutches that I've driven.  The brakes on this thing are also super tight.

You listed the rear suspension rebuild in one of the first few pages of your build thread Smile.  EDIT: Whoops, looks like maybe not a full-on rebuild, but you did replace a bunch of rubber back there.  Top of page 2.

BTW, I remember you mentioning that you think that the KYB shocks you installed need to be replaced.  Why is that?  Did you think the ride quality was deteriorating, or what?
oh right, yeah some of the rubber was all dry rotted out.
Also those shocks needs to be replaced cause they pissed out the oil in them Wink
I also think I went crazy a little bit and just started to pick out all these little things because I wanted this car to be perfect, but I could never keep up.

yeah....I totally went crazy.

I think you can see how crazy I went in the middle of the thread during the turbo build

(01-25-2016, 10:11 PM)Simpler=Better I'm glad this car stayed in the family Smile

Me too.

only problem ill have is convincing him to sell it to me when hes fixed it up.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 01-26-2016

(01-26-2016, 11:12 AM)Purplecomputer
(01-25-2016, 10:11 PM)Simpler=Better I'm glad this car stayed in the family Smile

Me too.

interestingly Jooseppi and I were able to conclusively demonstrate that a salvage title can be legally washed away by passing ownership through a state that does not issue old titles. 

Im pretty sure hes got a clean MA title for the purpleturbo as RI processed the paperwork and provided an simple uninformative compensation document for registry in MA that said nothing about accidents or insurance payouts

I love it when the bureaucratic process can be used legally to ones advantage

(01-26-2016, 11:18 AM)JB3 interestingly Jooseppi and I were able to conclusively demonstrate that a salvage title can be legally washed away by passing ownership through a state that does not issue old titles. 

Im pretty sure hes got a clean MA title for the purpleturbo as RI processed the paperwork and provided an simple uninformative compensation document for registry in MA that said nothing about accidents or insurance payouts

I was very heated when they considered this car totaled because "parts were hard to find"

the autoshop that the insruance company wanted me to use said it would take them months to fix this car.

I called bullshit, anyway, glad its back.

Can we get a dyno on this car and see how much more power it puts out over stock?

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 01-26-2016

(01-26-2016, 11:18 AM)JB3
(01-26-2016, 11:12 AM)Purplecomputer

Me too.

interestingly Jooseppi and I were able to conclusively demonstrate that a salvage title can be legally washed away by passing ownership through a state that does not issue old titles. 

Yup, I have a clean title, which is freakin' awesome.  I wonder, though, if things would be different with a post-1980 car that has a standard VIN.

(01-26-2016, 11:23 AM)Purplecomputer Can we get a dyno on this car and see how much more power it puts out over stock?

That's something that I'd really want to do, too.  I'm curious.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 01-26-2016

(01-26-2016, 01:11 PM)Jooseppi Luna Yup, I have a clean title, which is freakin' awesome.  I wonder, though, if things would be different with a post-1980 car that has a standard VIN.

Any car older than 2001 gets the same treatment in RI, no title issued.  Similar in VT from what i recall

(01-26-2016, 02:45 PM)JB3
(01-26-2016, 01:11 PM)Jooseppi Luna Yup, I have a clean title, which is freakin' awesome.  I wonder, though, if things would be different with a post-1980 car that has a standard VIN.

Any car older than 2001 gets the same treatment in RI, no title issued.  Similar in VT from what i recall

Yeah, but I don't know if MA would run a VIN check on vehicles 1981-up.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 02-11-2016

ANYway... update: fixed the following:

1) The high beam was not working because of the fuse.  Replaced the fuse with a spare I had on hand, will try clean the contacts and replace all the fuses later.

2) The driver's-side foglight wasn't working because the plug was wired incorrectly, so I swapped some wires and that fixed that.

3) There is a chip in the driver's-side headlight lens, so I ordered one on eBay from some dude in Latvia.  Should be arriving next week.

Things still left before I sit back and wait for the spring before continuing:
  • Driver's-side turn signal has some wiring issues.  I get power for the blink, but nothing for the parking light, and when I plug in the bulb, nothing works.  Need to swap in a bulb from the right to make sure that that's not contributing to the issue.
  • Driver's-side rear taillight is out.  Hopefully that's just a bulb issue.
  • Change oil
  • Adjust valves
  • Fix GP wiring
  • Get spare tire
  • Pull damage from rear
  • Replace hood pad

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Purplecomputer - 02-13-2016

(02-11-2016, 09:44 PM)Jooseppi Luna ANYway... update: fixed the following:

1) The high beam was not working because of the fuse.  Replaced the fuse with a spare I had on hand, will try clean the contacts and replace all the fuses later.

2) The driver's-side foglight wasn't working because the plug was wired incorrectly, so I swapped some wires and that fixed that.

3) There is a chip in the driver's-side headlight lens, so I ordered one on eBay from some dude in Latvia.  Should be arriving next week.

Things still left before I sit back and wait for the spring before continuing:
  • Driver's-side turn signal has some wiring issues.  I get power for the blink, but nothing for the parking light, and when I plug in the bulb, nothing works.  Need to swap in a bulb from the right to make sure that that's not contributing to the issue.
  • Driver's-side rear taillight is out.  Hopefully that's just a bulb issue.
  • Change oil
  • Adjust valves
  • Fix GP wiring
  • Get spare tire
  • Pull damage from rear
  • Replace hood pad

Best bet for the driver side tailight is to cut it and wire in a pigtail from another car.

whats wrong with the glowplugs?
I swapped those out with the Pencil style plugs.  Wiring was all new when I did it.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 02-15-2016

Thing failed inspection today BECAUSE THE BATTERY DIED AT THE STATION WHEN THE MECHANIC TRIED TO DRIVE IT IN THE BAY. They gave me a jump and told me to come back when the car will start Sad. I'm scheduled for tomorrow morning at 6 am.

Purple, I'll reply to your post later tonight...

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 02-16-2016

Went back this morning, failed for the following reasons:

Bad idler arm
Underhood exhaust leak
Nonworking front left parking light (it was working yesterday!!!)
Unaimed headlights
Absence of license plate light (totally forgot about those... :o)

I have 60 days to fix it and get a free reinspection.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - MFSuper90 - 02-16-2016

Over here in Ohio, I'm like, what's inspection? Lol
Sounds like fairly simply fixes at least!

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 02-16-2016

You guys are so lucky!

Oh, and it's not a bad idler arm, but a bad drag link.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - JB3 - 02-17-2016

they certainly arent doing you any favors for an old car, thats for sure. 

"unaimed headlights"?  good grief. 

At least you have 2 months to fix.

RE: Purple turbo 240D - Jooseppi Luna - 02-17-2016

(02-17-2016, 10:14 AM)JB3 they certainly arent doing you any favors for an old car, thats for sure. 

"unaimed headlights"?  good grief. 

At least you have 2 months to fix.
Well, they did let the trunk lid pass in its current configuration, even though they shouldn't have.

I'm curious how bad the headlights are.  If they're aimed such that they're potentially hitting other drivers, then I can understand it.

Anyway, car refused to start when I tried to drive home from school today, and it turns out that the alt isn't charging the battery enough.  So I am going to replace the voltage regulator and hopefully that is the only issue.

BTW, the sound system Purple put in this car is really nice!  It's honestly a shame the car is so loud, keeps you from appreciating the sound system Big Grin.

Once I get a 5-speed in there and a hood pad mounted, things should improve.

New voltage regulator installed, battery charging inside.  I'll try starting it and checking the voltage tomorrow.