STD
300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Engine (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List (/showthread.php?tid=2922)

300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - jonbobshinigin - 08-30-2011

I've got a local shop where I get my tires that I am going to have install a 3" straight pipe setup for me. They do not have mandrel bends so if like to order all the necessary elbows and bends for them to install. Maybe one of you can help me out with a list of the bends I need?

Another thing I mentioned is that I'll be putting a different turbo in later and need the area where the down pipe is to be versatile. I will likely make the rearmost section where I can drop in a muffler for days when I want to be quieter.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - randomdude - 08-30-2011

an easier idea would be a dump, thats easier and quicker than removing a silencer.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - jonbobshinigin - 08-30-2011

Please explain...I am not dumping the exhaust out of the side as the car is a daily driver.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - larsalan - 08-30-2011

Less bends = more better.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - jonbobshinigin - 08-30-2011

If it were a track car, I'd prolly do a hood stack, or out behind front tire. Since it isn't, I am going to run it out of the rear. So I just need to know the parts and angles I need.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - winmutt - 08-31-2011

(08-30-2011, 10:45 PM)jonbobshinigin If it were a track car, I'd prolly do a hood stack

Lemons at least is no longer allowing hood stacks or any exaust dumping forward of or into the cabin.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - Kozuka - 08-31-2011

[Image: 05206453.gif]

It's going to follow a route like this

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - winmutt - 08-31-2011

I'd find a shop with the proper tools. It will probably be cheaper.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - Kozuka - 08-31-2011

One of my 190E's just had a strait piece of pipe that went from the cat all the way to the back with slight angles so it went directly to the muffler spot. It really depends on how low you roll.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - jonbobshinigin - 09-01-2011

The shop I spoke with made it sound as if mandrel bends are only done from the factory and that regular bends works just fine. I want to go ahead and do it right! Are there shops that are able to do a full mandrel system?

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - larsalan - 09-01-2011

(08-31-2011, 12:03 PM)Kozuka One of my 190E's just had a strait piece of pipe that went from the cat all the way to the back with slight angles so it went directly to the muffler spot. It really depends on how low you roll.

That's how mine works. A 4ft steel pipe from ebay and my first shot at welding Wink
Turned down with a piece of the oem muffler.
4ft is kinda short. Prolly would need like 5.5 of 2.75in pipe

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - Captain America - 09-01-2011

Regular pipe bends restrict the tube size down while mandrel bends do not. Crappy exhaust shops that do everything (brakes, trans, oil change, alignment....) will most likely NOT be able to make a nice mandrel bend while a higher end / specialty exhaust shop will.

Comparo:
[Image: mandrel%20non%20mandrel.gif]

[Image: mandrel_bend.jpg]

NICE!:
http://www.spdexhaust.com/BendsB.html

[Image: Mandrel-bend-90-degree_M.jpg]

YUCK!:
[Image: crinkle-bend.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ4YtXvYUqrZFbzExADHo...PWPTs56GhP]

[Image: wurth_jan_03_bend_exhaust.jpg]

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - jonbobshinigin - 09-01-2011

I like what I saw at the spdexhaust site...what I need now is a list of parts to order so that a local shop can weld and install them for me. Mind helping me with that anyone?

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - larsalan - 09-01-2011

You just need a 6ft pipe and a turn down both in the right diameter. Then you can aim the straight pipe toward the hangers.
F all the bending.

RE: 300TDT Straight Pipe Install - Parts List - randomdude - 09-01-2011

any decent shop can do mandrel. at least the good ones around here do it.

and by dump i meant one of those little Y's you put in the exhaust somewhere around the front and you just reach under the car and take a cap off one side of the Y. so you can put the cap on and run a system with the muffler for DD duty, and then take the cap off and its a straight dump out the side. pretty cheap and much easier than removing a rear section setup.