STD
GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - Printable Version

+- STD (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std)
+-- Forum: Tuning (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Drivetrain (https://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 (/showthread.php?tid=791)

GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - HoleshotHolset - 10-28-2009

I just found this by looking around on www.4BTswaps.com

http://www.4x4labs.com/products/diesel-conversions/

These guys are making a kit so that you can bolt an OM617 to a GM manual transmission...or an automatic if you so choose.

Beers,

Matt

On edit: Changed the URL...

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - winmutt - 10-29-2009

I had seen this a while ago but I think the $ numbers were not low enough to warrant it. IE more or less same price as 5 spd.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - HoleshotHolset - 10-29-2009

(10-29-2009, 12:44 PM)winmutt I had seen this a while ago but I think the $ numbers were not low enough to warrant it. IE more or less same price as 5 spd.

German/MB 5-speed, though. They're not bad...just not too common here in the US.

The GM trannies are easily found, sturdy, proven and easy-to-get-parts-for...

How about a T56 in your Merc? I'd prefer that over a Mercedes 5-speed any day of the week...the extra $1k to convert isn't so bad considering the benefits.

Beers,

Matt

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - tantank79 - 10-29-2009

These guys have been "working on it" for about 4 yrs now. I have yet to see them actually release any product to the public.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - HoleshotHolset - 10-30-2009

(10-29-2009, 03:06 PM)tantank79 These guys have been "working on it" for about 4 yrs now. I have yet to see them actually release any product to the public.

Their latest status update is one that would suggest that they are ready to make their initial production run of 20-25 kits. They weren't clear about a release date... Smile

Beers,

Matt

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - E300TSC - 10-30-2009

What I want is a T56 or a ZF6 in my W210/OM606!

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - JB3 - 11-01-2009

how does the shift linkage mechanism work on the GM trannys?

My big problem with these kits is that they can rarely be adapted to an actual mercedes because of the linkage problem. All of them allow you to take a 617 engine and put it in something else, but none allow you to mount the transmission in your otherwise stock mercedes car. If you were to do so, you would have the shifter coming up through the center of the dash.

Whats a common US 5-speed that has side linkage with shift arms?

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - E300TSC - 11-01-2009

The only 5 speed I've ever seen with side linkage was a Doug Nash/Richmond "4+1". It's a big beefy tranny and they go for $1500+ on ebay. Plus, I don't think top gear is an overdrive since it's designed as a race transmission.

It seems like a US domestic wont work in any of the mercedes chassis with the shifter being 7-10 inches behind the actual tranny. It has to be a side shift arm with linkages. I wonder if there are any prevalent Japanese transmissions that incorporate this feature?

The big problem is that its kind of outdated design, I haven't seen any newer transmissions that still have these types of arms.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - Kozuka - 11-01-2009

I've always thought that the length the the American transmission would of made up for the extra 7-10 inches and that they are usually in the very rear of the transmission. I'm no expert but I have seen a 2jz-gte swap (w201) that used the supra transmission that has the shifter coming strait out of the top of the transmission and it was a little further back these German transmissions are pretty short in comparison I'm assuming because of the external linkage. The only way to really know is with a side by side comparison.

makes sense. We need to assemble a database of transmission lengths!

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - HoleshotHolset - 11-02-2009

(11-01-2009, 07:56 PM)Kozuka 'm no expert but I have seen a 2jz-gte swap (w201)...*snip!*

There's a video on YouTube of that beast. It's pretty cool.

Beers,

Matt

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - willbhere4u - 11-02-2009

no offense but I wouldn't touch Toyota stuff with a 10 1/2 ft long pole I have worked on to many of them!!! yuck thats why I bought a Mercedes so I could work on it when I wanted to! and not to just keep it running!

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - HoleshotHolset - 11-02-2009

(11-02-2009, 02:39 PM)willbhere4u no offense but I wouldn't touch Toyota stuff with a 10 1/2 ft long pole I have worked on to many of them!!! yuck thats why I bought a Mercedes so I could work on it when I wanted to! and not to just keep it running!

What vintage of Toyota vehicles have you worked on?
Like anything - some people swear by them, some swear at them.

Beers,

Matt

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - giezy - 11-05-2009

i have r154 behind a 300 hr 360 dodge and it has bin find four four years of track days and DD in the summer i think it would be a good trans

The richmond ttrans can come in a veriaty of ratios the can give you a deep first gear and a 1:1 5th and a od 5th aswell it to would be a good trans to if you have $$$$Sad

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - SurfRodder - 11-06-2009

I've been emailing the 4x4labs people for the past few days and they say they have a couple kits in stock. The guy told be they'd be willing to split up the adapter plate and the custom flywheel setup, but I am awaiting a response for the prices for the individual pieces. Together the kit is $950 + $35 for shipping. They have a design in the works to bolt a custom hub to convert the mercedes crank bolt pattern to utilize a GM flexplate/torque converter, so an automatic will eventually be able to work there as well... Opening up a whole slew of OD automatic options.

I think having a custom converter (a good idea anyway...higher stall speed, esp when the engine is making more than stock power) would probably be the better choice, just a little more down time if/when it ever fails.

Anyway, I'll post more details when I get them.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - HoleshotHolset - 09-29-2010

(11-06-2009, 12:43 AM)SurfRodder Anyway, I'll post more details when I get them.

What did you find out?
I'm thinking of this kit + 4L80-E in my W210. Cool

Cheers,

Matt
P.S. I updated the URL in my original post...
Just found another option:
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Mercedes%20diesel.htm

$725 and includes:
1 inch thick aluminum adapter plate
Bolt set
Mini-high torque starter
Flexplate
Crank adapter
All machined parts are American made.

This blows 4x4labs.com's offer out of the water for the guys that want to convert to an automatic.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - Captain America - 09-30-2010

I skipped all the above posts but a Richmond 5 speed has three levers on the side with an individual arm for each

Those things feel like they are out of a semi tractor, straight cut gears, loud, but unbreakable...

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - Rudolf_Diesel - 09-30-2010

This is the shifter I plan on using for the Tremec...it sets the shifter back about 8 " and should put it in the correct spot for a 126 body.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - Oil Burner - 10-21-2010

(09-30-2010, 11:21 PM)Rudolf_Diesel This is the shifter I plan on using for the Tremec...it sets the shifter back about 8 " and should put it in the correct spot for a 126 body.
What is the model of that adapter and what transmission des that work on?

I got to thinking what about a old Chevy Vega Manual trans does anuyone know if those ever had a 5 sp or one with a OD they are pretty compact...Any thoughts? I am not a Chevy guy so I know knothing on these.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - JB3 - 10-21-2010

(10-28-2009, 10:19 AM)HoleshotHolset I just found this by looking around on www.4BTswaps.com

http://www.4x4labs.com/products/diesel-conversions/

These guys are making a kit so that you can bolt an OM617 to a GM manual transmission...or an automatic if you so choose.

Beers,

Matt

On edit: Changed the URL...

question, anyone notice in this link how the 617 with the adapter plate on it has a starter motor under the oil filter down on the driver side? Is part of the conversion and adapter moving the starter to this location? I find this confusing, what have they done here, the pics are not that clear

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - 300D50 - 10-21-2010

(10-21-2010, 01:58 PM)dropnosky Is part of the conversion and adapter moving the starter to this location?

Drivers vs pass side starter on the bell, easier to use the OEM starter location than cut the housing and patch it.

Been there, done that, own stock in the company.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - Rudolf_Diesel - 10-21-2010

(10-21-2010, 10:06 AM)Oil Burner
(09-30-2010, 11:21 PM)Rudolf_Diesel This is the shifter I plan on using for the Tremec...it sets the shifter back about 8 " and should put it in the correct spot for a 126 body.
What is the model of that adapter and what transmission does that work on?

Hurst 05-06-07 Mustang GT with a Tremec TKO transmissiom, Part# 3915074

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - DeliveryValve - 12-02-2010

(12-02-2010, 01:37 AM)sentiplum well. I hope that this parts will suffice my truck. I've always wanted to convert mine and i think this is a cheap truck part that can readily go in my budget.

I smell a spammer...

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/85-300td-parts-car-with-54k-miles-gone-t-1220.html#pid20536

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/85-300td-parts-car-with-54k-miles-gone-t-1220.html#pid20778

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - winmutt - 12-02-2010

tricky one at that.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - vgS30 - 01-01-2011

$950 is way too much money to put a super notchy GM trans, i would say put your money into making your own kit. 90-96 nissan 300zx transmisions are smooth strong and the shifter is located behind end of transmission.

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - Captain America - 01-02-2011

I think japan = shit

RE: GM transmission adapter parts for OM617 - ForcedInduction - 01-02-2011

I'd take a Jap transmission over any GM, Chrysler or Ford transmission.