STD Tuning Engine OM602.980 swapped into 230 G Help

OM602.980 swapped into 230 G Help

OM602.980 swapped into 230 G Help

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

nazim
Unregistered

12-20-2009, 11:50 AM #1
Hello Everyone,

I've been serarching and reading the forum for some time. I will go directly to the point:

I have a 1986 230G Mercedes. Because it was so lack of power to move this 2 tonne vehicle, I decided to go for an engine swap.

The best I could find here, in Turkey was OM602.980 2.9 liter turbodiesel engine. We ordered the engine brackets for 290GDT and could fit the engine in. We had to install the transmission from 300D 5 gear, the manifold and the mechanical injection pump from OM602 2.5 liter turbodiesel engine.

We now have a few problems/questions:
1. Where is the best place to fit the intercooler?
2. How can we increase the low end torque?
3. Will the bigger intercooler with longer pipes in front of the radiator cause the low end to be weak?
4. If we could place an electric fan with a smaller intercooler will it build up quicker and more power at low rpm?
5. What should be the best turbo application for the two alternatives?

I know many questions for the first time but, I hope someone will help clear the issues.

Thanks...
nazim
12-20-2009, 11:50 AM #1

Hello Everyone,

I've been serarching and reading the forum for some time. I will go directly to the point:

I have a 1986 230G Mercedes. Because it was so lack of power to move this 2 tonne vehicle, I decided to go for an engine swap.

The best I could find here, in Turkey was OM602.980 2.9 liter turbodiesel engine. We ordered the engine brackets for 290GDT and could fit the engine in. We had to install the transmission from 300D 5 gear, the manifold and the mechanical injection pump from OM602 2.5 liter turbodiesel engine.

3. Will the bigger intercooler with longer pipes in front of the radiator cause the low end to be weak?
4. If we could place an electric fan with a smaller intercooler will it build up quicker and more power at low rpm?

I know many questions for the first time but, I hope someone will help clear the issues.

Thanks...

INC
GTA2056V

12-20-2009, 12:47 PM #2
(12-20-2009, 11:50 AM)nazim Hello Everyone,

Thanks...

This pump is too weak for this engine.

I run exactly the same setup in my old G-class.

You can try to turn more fuel (how to is explained in sticky)
it helps in low end torque, but its totaly out of fuel after 3000rpm.

Its necessary to change pump elements to bigger ones.

G300TD(OM606.964) & 250GD(OM605.960)Trophy raid
INC
12-20-2009, 12:47 PM #2

Thanks...

G300TD(OM606.964) & 250GD(OM605.960)Trophy raid

nazim
Unregistered

12-22-2009, 03:09 AM #3
(12-20-2009, 12:47 PM)INC

Thanks...

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
What kind of turbo are you using?
Sorry, I did not understand how to turn the fueling on.

Thanks,
Nazim
nazim
12-22-2009, 03:09 AM #3

(12-20-2009, 12:47 PM)INC

Thanks...

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
What kind of turbo are you using?
Sorry, I did not understand how to turn the fueling on.

Thanks,
Nazim

nazim
Unregistered

12-22-2009, 10:59 AM #4
Hello,

My mechanic says the turbo on the machine is not OK.
This give me the reason to replace the turbo.

The engine is 2.9 liter turbodiesel and using the mechanical pump from om602 2.5liter engine.

What would be the best turbo alternative to give the engine better pull at low rpm? Is a VNT turbo with mechanical boost controller available in the market to provide immediate boost?

Thanks,
nazim
12-22-2009, 10:59 AM #4

Hello,

My mechanic says the turbo on the machine is not OK.
This give me the reason to replace the turbo.

The engine is 2.9 liter turbodiesel and using the mechanical pump from om602 2.5liter engine.

What would be the best turbo alternative to give the engine better pull at low rpm? Is a VNT turbo with mechanical boost controller available in the market to provide immediate boost?

Thanks,

aaa
GT2256V

12-23-2009, 10:04 PM #5
Define "the market". We probably can't say anything about your market. Are turbos from other cars available, and if so are there any common models with VNTs? Etc.

Maybe you can mess with your ALDA on the pump to affect low end fuel delivery. The pump is tuned for 2.5L instead of 2.9L so as is your missing out on some extra power.
aaa
12-23-2009, 10:04 PM #5

Define "the market". We probably can't say anything about your market. Are turbos from other cars available, and if so are there any common models with VNTs? Etc.

Maybe you can mess with your ALDA on the pump to affect low end fuel delivery. The pump is tuned for 2.5L instead of 2.9L so as is your missing out on some extra power.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

12-23-2009, 10:14 PM #6
the injection pump makes the hp the turbo just keeps it cool

more fuel = more power and heat

boost will not affect hp with out fuel

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
12-23-2009, 10:14 PM #6

the injection pump makes the hp the turbo just keeps it cool

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

aaa
GT2256V

12-24-2009, 05:31 AM #7
He's talking about low end power. So getting more boost and fuel earlier will help, VNT will give boost earlier, and you should be able to get some extra fuel easily too (though not as much fuel as you'd need to fully take advantage of your 2.9l).
aaa
12-24-2009, 05:31 AM #7

He's talking about low end power. So getting more boost and fuel earlier will help, VNT will give boost earlier, and you should be able to get some extra fuel easily too (though not as much fuel as you'd need to fully take advantage of your 2.9l).

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-24-2009, 07:36 AM #8
Don't forget, the 2.9L is computer controlled. Changing boost performance will improve low end power, but a computer tune will help as well.
ForcedInduction
12-24-2009, 07:36 AM #8

Don't forget, the 2.9L is computer controlled. Changing boost performance will improve low end power, but a computer tune will help as well.

nazim
Unregistered

12-24-2009, 07:39 AM #9
(12-23-2009, 10:14 PM)willbhere4u the injection pump makes the hp the turbo just keeps it cool

I took the vehicle to a good Bosh pump service station today.
He told me the pump from the 2.5 liter engine had half the size of the element in the rotary pump.

Since I use the G for off-road, my aim was to have minimum electronics. The mechanic told me it is impossible to have the same results from the mechanical pump. My injectors are two stage and with the mechanical pump it is not possible to have enough pressure to go into the second stage, the engine will suffer.

For now, I decided to install all the components to work with the original rotary pump. Maybe then, with the help of chip tuning it will be possible to manage the low rpm to better pull.

In the Turkish market it is possible to find many kinds of turbos taken out from vehicles with accidents and also brand new turbos from importers.

I think the vnt-vgt turbo will do much help to improve performance.
Still waiting for someody to recommend a good turbo for my needs.

Thanks,
Nazim
nazim
12-24-2009, 07:39 AM #9

(12-23-2009, 10:14 PM)willbhere4u the injection pump makes the hp the turbo just keeps it cool

I took the vehicle to a good Bosh pump service station today.
He told me the pump from the 2.5 liter engine had half the size of the element in the rotary pump.

Since I use the G for off-road, my aim was to have minimum electronics. The mechanic told me it is impossible to have the same results from the mechanical pump. My injectors are two stage and with the mechanical pump it is not possible to have enough pressure to go into the second stage, the engine will suffer.

For now, I decided to install all the components to work with the original rotary pump. Maybe then, with the help of chip tuning it will be possible to manage the low rpm to better pull.

In the Turkish market it is possible to find many kinds of turbos taken out from vehicles with accidents and also brand new turbos from importers.

I think the vnt-vgt turbo will do much help to improve performance.
Still waiting for someody to recommend a good turbo for my needs.

Thanks,
Nazim

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-24-2009, 06:25 PM #10
(12-24-2009, 07:39 AM)nazim My injectors are two stage and with the mechanical pump it is not possible to have enough pressure to go into the second stage, the engine will suffer.

Have them recalibrated to a lower pop pressure.
ForcedInduction
12-24-2009, 06:25 PM #10

(12-24-2009, 07:39 AM)nazim My injectors are two stage and with the mechanical pump it is not possible to have enough pressure to go into the second stage, the engine will suffer.

Have them recalibrated to a lower pop pressure.

aaa
GT2256V

12-25-2009, 07:20 AM #11
Huh, this engine is sounding more and more like an om606... BTW it also has two stage injectors and that hasn't stopped people from using the mechanical pump.

Many of the newer CDI mercedes had VNTs on them. Maybe go for something with similar displacement.
aaa
12-25-2009, 07:20 AM #11

Huh, this engine is sounding more and more like an om606... BTW it also has two stage injectors and that hasn't stopped people from using the mechanical pump.

Many of the newer CDI mercedes had VNTs on them. Maybe go for something with similar displacement.

nazim
Unregistered

07-02-2010, 08:51 AM #12
(12-25-2009, 07:20 AM)aaa Huh, this engine is sounding more and more like an om606... BTW it also has two stage injectors and that hasn't stopped people from using the mechanical pump.

Hello,

I have used the original rotary pump with the ECU.
I have chipped it and installed a van gearbox with low 1st gear.
The off road performance is very good.

The original turbo Garrett 2538C is leaking too much oil and I have to replace it.
I am wondering if there is a same sized ball bearing turbo I can replace the original one with or I should stick with the 2538?

Thanks a lot,
Nazim
nazim
07-02-2010, 08:51 AM #12

(12-25-2009, 07:20 AM)aaa Huh, this engine is sounding more and more like an om606... BTW it also has two stage injectors and that hasn't stopped people from using the mechanical pump.

Hello,

I have used the original rotary pump with the ECU.
I have chipped it and installed a van gearbox with low 1st gear.
The off road performance is very good.

The original turbo Garrett 2538C is leaking too much oil and I have to replace it.
I am wondering if there is a same sized ball bearing turbo I can replace the original one with or I should stick with the 2538?

Thanks a lot,
Nazim

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average