STD Tuning Drivetrain WHO WANTS A 5 SPEED?

WHO WANTS A 5 SPEED?

WHO WANTS A 5 SPEED?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Greaseking
Naturally-aspirated

12-05-2009, 03:11 PM #1
Whats up guy's. been awhile since I have posted here, but been plugging away at solving this 5 speed thing and Have done it!!! I have developed an adapter kit that will allow you to put a 616 or 617 onto any toyota car or truck 4 or 5 speed tranny or use a toyota 5 speed in you merc!!! Sound interesting? The Price right out of the gate will be $450.00 for board members which includes an adapter plate, pilot bushing adapter and your toyota flywheel redrilled to bolt to the merc motor plus hardware. This is a proven adapter kit and I will post pics later today. To me this is the most exciting breakthrough for a 5 speed in your merc to date. Toyota trannys are thick as thieves and be gotten for as little as $100.00. You will have to simply adapt the tranny cross member and alter the drive line but it works great. Let me know what you think, I'm going to run a small batch of 6 next week so if anyone wants one let me know.
Greaseking
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM #1

Whats up guy's. been awhile since I have posted here, but been plugging away at solving this 5 speed thing and Have done it!!! I have developed an adapter kit that will allow you to put a 616 or 617 onto any toyota car or truck 4 or 5 speed tranny or use a toyota 5 speed in you merc!!! Sound interesting? The Price right out of the gate will be $450.00 for board members which includes an adapter plate, pilot bushing adapter and your toyota flywheel redrilled to bolt to the merc motor plus hardware. This is a proven adapter kit and I will post pics later today. To me this is the most exciting breakthrough for a 5 speed in your merc to date. Toyota trannys are thick as thieves and be gotten for as little as $100.00. You will have to simply adapt the tranny cross member and alter the drive line but it works great. Let me know what you think, I'm going to run a small batch of 6 next week so if anyone wants one let me know.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

12-06-2009, 12:04 PM #2
what are you using for a starter? and how much dose a Toyota flywheel weigh?

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
12-06-2009, 12:04 PM #2

what are you using for a starter? and how much dose a Toyota flywheel weigh?

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

winmutt
bitbanger

12-07-2009, 02:15 PM #3
Got pics of it installed? How are vibrations?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
12-07-2009, 02:15 PM #3

Got pics of it installed? How are vibrations?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

CID Vicious
Unregistered

12-08-2009, 03:44 PM #4
Q: Why redrill a Toyota gas flywheel for our MB engines? It's not hard to adapt clutch parts from one company to the next - MB pressure plate, Toyota disc. The only part of the kit I'd be interested in would be the adapter ring. The difference in weight between a gas flywheel and a diesel are huge, double to triple or more. If going with such a light flywheel was desirable we'd be adapting MB gas flywheels to our motors already. I'd imagine a lighter flywheel isn't very desirable for off road use either, not that it won't work, but it's not quite correct, either.

FYI these Toyota transmissions are popular with the V8 crowd as well, and a similar kit for adapting one to a Small Block Chevy is 450 bucks - with a real, cast aluminum adapter bellhousing (the proper way to do it if you're going to spend the money), and the working clutch kit for use with a Chevy flywheel. It's a pro-built, bolt in job, and not to fling poo, as I haven't seen your kit and I'm just going by your original post, but I'd just as soon take the rear plate off of a MB motor, the bell off of the 'yota trans, and tell the machine shop what I want.

Have you actually put one of these transmissions in a 300D? We'd like to see pics. We know the trans can work with the motor, whether it will work in the car is an unknown quantity at this point.

In all fairness, I'm working on this conversion myself and will let the board know if I succeed. I think an adapter ring for ~100 bones would sell like mad, but I'm not interested in this kit, especially as with this equation:

165 - pick a part Toyota Trans
450 - your kit price
200 - minimum for new clutch disc and PP
____
815 bucks. Which is about what a Mercedes 5 speed would cost to obtain, and it would use all off the shelf, available MB components. That's the standard we're trying to beat here.

And whether you believe it or not, sir, I wish you luck in your endeavor, I'm just pointing out what I believe to be flaws in your kit - I've probably pondered that trans swap more than anyone else on the board, I've had two cars with that trans and I've had my eye on it for a 350 V8 as well. If you were to offer the adapter ring for a right price I'd probably end up buying several off of you over the next year, I want to convert my 300D without having to butcher my 240D to do it, and I'm in the process of buying one of these transmissions right now from a local guy. I'm also interested in a Toyota/Benz 4x4, and converting a Dolphin RV as well to 617a power.

If I can't find a supplier for the plates I'm just going to have a local shop fab them up for me.

Also, pics of the kit you're offering would be of interest to us as well.
CID Vicious
12-08-2009, 03:44 PM #4

Q: Why redrill a Toyota gas flywheel for our MB engines? It's not hard to adapt clutch parts from one company to the next - MB pressure plate, Toyota disc. The only part of the kit I'd be interested in would be the adapter ring. The difference in weight between a gas flywheel and a diesel are huge, double to triple or more. If going with such a light flywheel was desirable we'd be adapting MB gas flywheels to our motors already. I'd imagine a lighter flywheel isn't very desirable for off road use either, not that it won't work, but it's not quite correct, either.

FYI these Toyota transmissions are popular with the V8 crowd as well, and a similar kit for adapting one to a Small Block Chevy is 450 bucks - with a real, cast aluminum adapter bellhousing (the proper way to do it if you're going to spend the money), and the working clutch kit for use with a Chevy flywheel. It's a pro-built, bolt in job, and not to fling poo, as I haven't seen your kit and I'm just going by your original post, but I'd just as soon take the rear plate off of a MB motor, the bell off of the 'yota trans, and tell the machine shop what I want.

Have you actually put one of these transmissions in a 300D? We'd like to see pics. We know the trans can work with the motor, whether it will work in the car is an unknown quantity at this point.

In all fairness, I'm working on this conversion myself and will let the board know if I succeed. I think an adapter ring for ~100 bones would sell like mad, but I'm not interested in this kit, especially as with this equation:

165 - pick a part Toyota Trans
450 - your kit price
200 - minimum for new clutch disc and PP
____
815 bucks. Which is about what a Mercedes 5 speed would cost to obtain, and it would use all off the shelf, available MB components. That's the standard we're trying to beat here.

And whether you believe it or not, sir, I wish you luck in your endeavor, I'm just pointing out what I believe to be flaws in your kit - I've probably pondered that trans swap more than anyone else on the board, I've had two cars with that trans and I've had my eye on it for a 350 V8 as well. If you were to offer the adapter ring for a right price I'd probably end up buying several off of you over the next year, I want to convert my 300D without having to butcher my 240D to do it, and I'm in the process of buying one of these transmissions right now from a local guy. I'm also interested in a Toyota/Benz 4x4, and converting a Dolphin RV as well to 617a power.

If I can't find a supplier for the plates I'm just going to have a local shop fab them up for me.

Also, pics of the kit you're offering would be of interest to us as well.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average