STD Other Projects OM606.962 vs. 1976 Chevy Blazer Engine Swap Project.

OM606.962 vs. 1976 Chevy Blazer Engine Swap Project.

OM606.962 vs. 1976 Chevy Blazer Engine Swap Project.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

eddhick
Unregistered

01-16-2012, 05:14 PM #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to share my current project with you!

First off I would like to say a huge thanks to the following:

HughF_UK - He was kind enough to spend a long time on the phone helping me out with how to get a mechanical IP sourced and has been answering many emails from me. He has been very patient and I thank you!

Pasi (PP Diesel) + Tomnik - Thanks to you both, you have been very helpful and have always messaged me back very quickly, I look forward to my new IP!

Kalle @ KKD - Who is in the process of helping me out with a custom manifold and HX35! Thanks man!

Anyway back to the project...

I recently decided to undergo an engine swap on my 1976 Chevy Blazer, I though it would be a tough decision but with the 6.3 carb V8 getting a mere 6mpg and costing me loads in repairs all the time it became more of an obvious solution.

People have asked me why I have done such a thing but it's what I had to do in order for me to actually justify keeping and running it! To be honest I find turbo diesels much more fun anyway!

So, the donor car was a 1998 UK E300TD which was in an awful cosmetic state, however the engine was sound and had only done 103,000 miles which is quite low I suppose.

The engine is now fitted, runs but does not boost properly just yet (we had so many issues with the ECU that I decided to go mechanical)

Incase some of you are wondering why I have had 4x extra alternators put on the car, this is to power the sound system, I take it to shows a lot around the UK. The charging system consists of the standard 110amp merc alt for stock electrics and then 4x 240 amp alts for the sound system.

Here is the first video of the engine running (Standard electronic IP):

And here is a later video of the truck moving (Still stock IP etc):

And for those who may be interested in what the sound system can do (the distortion you can hear is not audible when you hear it in the flesh, this is simply because the camera mic can't deal with the pressure):

Original Merc Loom On the floor:

[Image: 2011-10-09%2010.04.12.jpg?psid=1]

Loom in a nice tidy box with over 50% unnecessary bits removed! (Soon to be all taken out again with Mechanical IP conversion Confused

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.19.31.jpg?psid=1]

Y-Splitter attached to empty cat pipe to allow exhaust through both side 4" side pipes:

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.20.36.jpg?psid=1]

722.6 Shifter in place (Now removed and using a 722.3 box)

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.23.28.jpg?psid=1]

Merc Cluster and Key:

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.23.38.jpg?psid=1]

Om606.962 proudly sitting in place and initial mock-up placement of the extra alternators:

[Image: Photo0036.jpg?psid=1]

Turbo down pipe to intercooler:

[Image: 2011-12-04%2013.44.23.jpg?psid=1]

Apologies that the images are so big, usually I rely on a forum to downsize them a bit, I didn't realise they would be so large!

Anyway, thanks for looking guys! Smile

I will keep this post updated when I recieve my new IP from PP Diesel and my new Turbo and manifold from KKD.

eddhick
01-16-2012, 05:14 PM #1

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but wanted to share my current project with you!

First off I would like to say a huge thanks to the following:

HughF_UK - He was kind enough to spend a long time on the phone helping me out with how to get a mechanical IP sourced and has been answering many emails from me. He has been very patient and I thank you!

Pasi (PP Diesel) + Tomnik - Thanks to you both, you have been very helpful and have always messaged me back very quickly, I look forward to my new IP!

Kalle @ KKD - Who is in the process of helping me out with a custom manifold and HX35! Thanks man!

Anyway back to the project...

I recently decided to undergo an engine swap on my 1976 Chevy Blazer, I though it would be a tough decision but with the 6.3 carb V8 getting a mere 6mpg and costing me loads in repairs all the time it became more of an obvious solution.

People have asked me why I have done such a thing but it's what I had to do in order for me to actually justify keeping and running it! To be honest I find turbo diesels much more fun anyway!

So, the donor car was a 1998 UK E300TD which was in an awful cosmetic state, however the engine was sound and had only done 103,000 miles which is quite low I suppose.

The engine is now fitted, runs but does not boost properly just yet (we had so many issues with the ECU that I decided to go mechanical)

Incase some of you are wondering why I have had 4x extra alternators put on the car, this is to power the sound system, I take it to shows a lot around the UK. The charging system consists of the standard 110amp merc alt for stock electrics and then 4x 240 amp alts for the sound system.

Here is the first video of the engine running (Standard electronic IP):

And here is a later video of the truck moving (Still stock IP etc):

And for those who may be interested in what the sound system can do (the distortion you can hear is not audible when you hear it in the flesh, this is simply because the camera mic can't deal with the pressure):

Original Merc Loom On the floor:

[Image: 2011-10-09%2010.04.12.jpg?psid=1]

Loom in a nice tidy box with over 50% unnecessary bits removed! (Soon to be all taken out again with Mechanical IP conversion Confused

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.19.31.jpg?psid=1]

Y-Splitter attached to empty cat pipe to allow exhaust through both side 4" side pipes:

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.20.36.jpg?psid=1]

722.6 Shifter in place (Now removed and using a 722.3 box)

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.23.28.jpg?psid=1]

Merc Cluster and Key:

[Image: 2011-11-12%2011.23.38.jpg?psid=1]

Om606.962 proudly sitting in place and initial mock-up placement of the extra alternators:

[Image: Photo0036.jpg?psid=1]

Turbo down pipe to intercooler:

[Image: 2011-12-04%2013.44.23.jpg?psid=1]

Apologies that the images are so big, usually I rely on a forum to downsize them a bit, I didn't realise they would be so large!

Anyway, thanks for looking guys! Smile

I will keep this post updated when I recieve my new IP from PP Diesel and my new Turbo and manifold from KKD.

doosky
Naturally-aspirated

07-20-2012, 10:32 PM #2
That's so awesome! I am fascinated with your truck! I've kicked around the idea of swapping an om603 or a 606 into a k5. The om606 weighs less than the 6.2l detroit diesel and the 4bt, plus it has a lotta room for mods. This truck will pull hard once you get the ip and turbo situated. I like what you did with the interior and sound system.

I'm a big fan of the k5, I think they look better than the Big Bronco, Ramcharger, and IH Scout. I'd like to build one up myself as a mudding/camping vehicle with 1 ton axles turned by an NV 5600 tranny and a divorced NP205 transfercase. I originally was reading up on the 4bt swap but from what I hear, the engine vibrates a lot, where as the om603 and 606 have a lotta headroom for power gains like the 4bt, though at a higher rpm, but have much more refinement to them.

This is of course if I had an income that could warrant such expenditures. Right now I've got my w123 300d spooling and chugging along getting me from point a to point b. It's nice to dream though lol.

The 2nd gen k5s are great vehicles, I'm a big fan. We have a huge supply of them in the states that are surplus military vehicles. They get auctioned off all the time and come equipped w/ a 6.2l diesel and a th400 transmission, 1/2 ton axles, a NP208 transfer case, and not a whole lot else. It was bare bones, no radio, carpet, or headliner, had a 24v charging system and dual batteries. Great starting point for a project truck.

Was it hard to mount the MB Transmission?
Are you 2wd or do you have a divorced transfercase?
And also I'm curious what the powerband is like with the HX35. I hope things go well with the swap and hope to see some updates so I can live vicariously through you lol!
This post was last modified: 07-20-2012, 10:55 PM by doosky.
doosky
07-20-2012, 10:32 PM #2

That's so awesome! I am fascinated with your truck! I've kicked around the idea of swapping an om603 or a 606 into a k5. The om606 weighs less than the 6.2l detroit diesel and the 4bt, plus it has a lotta room for mods. This truck will pull hard once you get the ip and turbo situated. I like what you did with the interior and sound system.

I'm a big fan of the k5, I think they look better than the Big Bronco, Ramcharger, and IH Scout. I'd like to build one up myself as a mudding/camping vehicle with 1 ton axles turned by an NV 5600 tranny and a divorced NP205 transfercase. I originally was reading up on the 4bt swap but from what I hear, the engine vibrates a lot, where as the om603 and 606 have a lotta headroom for power gains like the 4bt, though at a higher rpm, but have much more refinement to them.

This is of course if I had an income that could warrant such expenditures. Right now I've got my w123 300d spooling and chugging along getting me from point a to point b. It's nice to dream though lol.

The 2nd gen k5s are great vehicles, I'm a big fan. We have a huge supply of them in the states that are surplus military vehicles. They get auctioned off all the time and come equipped w/ a 6.2l diesel and a th400 transmission, 1/2 ton axles, a NP208 transfer case, and not a whole lot else. It was bare bones, no radio, carpet, or headliner, had a 24v charging system and dual batteries. Great starting point for a project truck.

Was it hard to mount the MB Transmission?
Are you 2wd or do you have a divorced transfercase?
And also I'm curious what the powerband is like with the HX35. I hope things go well with the swap and hope to see some updates so I can live vicariously through you lol!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average