STD Maintenance General Injector Pump problems

Injector Pump problems

Injector Pump problems

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

dr_pepper
Unregistered

12-01-2009, 08:54 PM #1
So i recently inherited a 1980 300td that I am excited about but it doesn't run. Some white smoke came out while turning it over but didn't run. Cracked the injector lines to find out that two of the lines are not getting any fuel. One had a dribble of diesel coming out and the other was dry. The other 3 on the pump are working properly. Could the element be stuck because it sat for a long time or would something have to be broken cause this problem? Any tips unsticking the two or is a rebuild going to be needed?
dr_pepper
12-01-2009, 08:54 PM #1

So i recently inherited a 1980 300td that I am excited about but it doesn't run. Some white smoke came out while turning it over but didn't run. Cracked the injector lines to find out that two of the lines are not getting any fuel. One had a dribble of diesel coming out and the other was dry. The other 3 on the pump are working properly. Could the element be stuck because it sat for a long time or would something have to be broken cause this problem? Any tips unsticking the two or is a rebuild going to be needed?

JB3
Superturbo

12-01-2009, 09:44 PM #2
Sure its not still just partially airlocked? White smoke is consistent with air in the fuel lines/injection system, which could just be a stubborn air pocket, instead of a major problem. How long did you try to start it for? Did it run fine when it was parked?
JB3
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM #2

Sure its not still just partially airlocked? White smoke is consistent with air in the fuel lines/injection system, which could just be a stubborn air pocket, instead of a major problem. How long did you try to start it for? Did it run fine when it was parked?

tomnik
Holset

12-02-2009, 01:18 AM #3
Dr. Pepper,

start with air issues first, second check for rusty DV. Finding rust there might result in at least checking the injectors.

Tom
tomnik
12-02-2009, 01:18 AM #3

Dr. Pepper,

start with air issues first, second check for rusty DV. Finding rust there might result in at least checking the injectors.

Tom

dr_pepper
Unregistered

12-02-2009, 01:44 PM #4
So with the two lines off, I cranked over the engine. Not much came out of the one and a nothing from the other. Cranked it over a couple of times. I have tried to search for a manual, diagram, or something to get some understanding of how it works.
This post was last modified: 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM by dr_pepper.
dr_pepper
12-02-2009, 01:44 PM #4

So with the two lines off, I cranked over the engine. Not much came out of the one and a nothing from the other. Cranked it over a couple of times. I have tried to search for a manual, diagram, or something to get some understanding of how it works.

tomnik
Holset

12-02-2009, 03:20 PM #5
You think it's not air.
The IP should be a MW with flange type elements. The DV is inside the line connection threat piece on the IP. Unscrew and check the DV.
Do it on one cylinder only and use a new copper washer. When the DV is out you can look onto the plunger. Operate the control lever and check if the plunger turns. Crank the engine slowly manually and check if the plunger moves up and down.
If my explanation is not clear or in any case get some drawings or written instructions about the DV before you start doing this.

Tom
tomnik
12-02-2009, 03:20 PM #5

You think it's not air.
The IP should be a MW with flange type elements. The DV is inside the line connection threat piece on the IP. Unscrew and check the DV.
Do it on one cylinder only and use a new copper washer. When the DV is out you can look onto the plunger. Operate the control lever and check if the plunger turns. Crank the engine slowly manually and check if the plunger moves up and down.
If my explanation is not clear or in any case get some drawings or written instructions about the DV before you start doing this.

Tom

winmutt
bitbanger

12-02-2009, 05:18 PM #6
How long did you turn it over for?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
12-02-2009, 05:18 PM #6

How long did you turn it over for?

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

dr_pepper
Unregistered

12-02-2009, 05:57 PM #7
(12-02-2009, 05:18 PM)winmutt How long did you turn it over for?

enough to drain a battery. A lot of medium turnovers to avoid frying the starter. Anyone have any info on the MW pump? I have tried to search for anything on it but have come up empty besides timing info.

Tomnik - thanks for the advice. I am familiar with diesel repair from my truck, except the mechanical injection part. The powerstoke heui injection has nothing similar. you have any info on opening up the pump or any reading that would help?
dr_pepper
12-02-2009, 05:57 PM #7

(12-02-2009, 05:18 PM)winmutt How long did you turn it over for?

enough to drain a battery. A lot of medium turnovers to avoid frying the starter. Anyone have any info on the MW pump? I have tried to search for anything on it but have come up empty besides timing info.

Tomnik - thanks for the advice. I am familiar with diesel repair from my truck, except the mechanical injection part. The powerstoke heui injection has nothing similar. you have any info on opening up the pump or any reading that would help?

winmutt
bitbanger

12-03-2009, 09:29 AM #8
The timing covers how to remove and reinstall the delivery valves.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
12-03-2009, 09:29 AM #8

The timing covers how to remove and reinstall the delivery valves.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

JB3
Superturbo

12-03-2009, 05:21 PM #9
did you have the throttle mashed all the way to the floor while you were cranking it? Are you trying to start it on the fuel thats been in it while it sat?

If it sat for a long time, I bet its far more likely your fuel tank is full of algae or crap, or the fuel bled back out of the injection system than it having developed rusty internals on the injection pump. It could be totally clogged up, sucking against a carpet of algae in the fuel tank.

Before I got into dis-assembling anything, id change all the fuel filters, take a gallon jug of fresh diesel, directly plumb the engine to this can at the engine compartment, and try to start it with your foot to the floor and with a charger on engine start connected to the battery. The starters supposed to be able to take some serious cranking before any damage.

It would be worth it to make absolutely sure before you broke down the injection pump. If it did not work in this circumstance, I could then say that I KNOW its not starting with a stacked deck, so it must be something bigger.
JB3
12-03-2009, 05:21 PM #9

did you have the throttle mashed all the way to the floor while you were cranking it? Are you trying to start it on the fuel thats been in it while it sat?

If it sat for a long time, I bet its far more likely your fuel tank is full of algae or crap, or the fuel bled back out of the injection system than it having developed rusty internals on the injection pump. It could be totally clogged up, sucking against a carpet of algae in the fuel tank.

Before I got into dis-assembling anything, id change all the fuel filters, take a gallon jug of fresh diesel, directly plumb the engine to this can at the engine compartment, and try to start it with your foot to the floor and with a charger on engine start connected to the battery. The starters supposed to be able to take some serious cranking before any damage.

It would be worth it to make absolutely sure before you broke down the injection pump. If it did not work in this circumstance, I could then say that I KNOW its not starting with a stacked deck, so it must be something bigger.

dr_pepper
Unregistered

12-08-2009, 06:33 PM #10
new diesel, new filters fuel(bled it too) and oil, changed all fluids, found 2 glow plugs bad so I changed all 5, air filter is good, etc. Went through the whole process of getting it ready to my knowledge. With the injector lines off the two elements only trickle out. The other 3 injectors are firing fine. I did check the timing. If the seal on the DV was bad, would this keep the fuel from coming past the DV holder to the injector line? I didn't replace the seal on it and come to think of it I pulled the second one to make sure I put the first dv back in the right order. Those are the two acting up. I assume just to get the seals from a local dealership?

Have a couple pump questions (excuse the poor terminology):

1. Would I mess up the rack positioning(helix position of plunger) if I marked the position of the barrel and pulled it out?

2. Can it be pulled out of the top by removing the two nuts on top? Any attachments inside that would prevent this?

3. How does the plunger swivel to change the helix? I assume the oval flange at the most bottom part gets turned?

Stupid questions, but I was thinking if I could pull the element and maybe inspect for any irregularities. I know that the balancing and individual plunger timing could get skewed. Kinda grasping at many things to get an understanding of how to work on the pump.
dr_pepper
12-08-2009, 06:33 PM #10

new diesel, new filters fuel(bled it too) and oil, changed all fluids, found 2 glow plugs bad so I changed all 5, air filter is good, etc. Went through the whole process of getting it ready to my knowledge. With the injector lines off the two elements only trickle out. The other 3 injectors are firing fine. I did check the timing. If the seal on the DV was bad, would this keep the fuel from coming past the DV holder to the injector line? I didn't replace the seal on it and come to think of it I pulled the second one to make sure I put the first dv back in the right order. Those are the two acting up. I assume just to get the seals from a local dealership?

Have a couple pump questions (excuse the poor terminology):

1. Would I mess up the rack positioning(helix position of plunger) if I marked the position of the barrel and pulled it out?

2. Can it be pulled out of the top by removing the two nuts on top? Any attachments inside that would prevent this?

3. How does the plunger swivel to change the helix? I assume the oval flange at the most bottom part gets turned?

Stupid questions, but I was thinking if I could pull the element and maybe inspect for any irregularities. I know that the balancing and individual plunger timing could get skewed. Kinda grasping at many things to get an understanding of how to work on the pump.

winmutt
bitbanger

12-08-2009, 11:18 PM #11
I'm thinking you need a new pump. On the A pumps the plunger is free floating but afaik the M and MW pumps are not free floating.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
12-08-2009, 11:18 PM #11

I'm thinking you need a new pump. On the A pumps the plunger is free floating but afaik the M and MW pumps are not free floating.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

GREASY_BEAST
Holset

12-09-2009, 02:31 PM #12
Don't remove pump elements! If you do that you almost certainly will need a new pump. Pull all the DV holders and have someone crank the car over while you look at the plungers moving (don't get fuel in your eye). If they all move about the same, and they all twist back and forth when the throttle lever is moved, then you know what the problem isn't. However, they could still be so badly worn that they won't pump fuel anymore (however unlikely). Another possibility is that there is something askew in the governor that is preventing the IP from giving the correct amount of rack travel for starting (forgot what the name is for this part). Pray its a stuck plunger, because with that at least you have a hope in hell of fixing it yourself. I know its redundant, but you are absolutely sure there is not air in the IP?
GREASY_BEAST
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM #12

Don't remove pump elements! If you do that you almost certainly will need a new pump. Pull all the DV holders and have someone crank the car over while you look at the plungers moving (don't get fuel in your eye). If they all move about the same, and they all twist back and forth when the throttle lever is moved, then you know what the problem isn't. However, they could still be so badly worn that they won't pump fuel anymore (however unlikely). Another possibility is that there is something askew in the governor that is preventing the IP from giving the correct amount of rack travel for starting (forgot what the name is for this part). Pray its a stuck plunger, because with that at least you have a hope in hell of fixing it yourself. I know its redundant, but you are absolutely sure there is not air in the IP?

dr_pepper
Unregistered

12-09-2009, 10:07 PM #13
So if I find the plunger is frozen, any tips on a proper method of un-freezing them?
dr_pepper
12-09-2009, 10:07 PM #13

So if I find the plunger is frozen, any tips on a proper method of un-freezing them?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average