-617 turbo engine from a 1980 300SD
-Garrett GT2056V VGT from a Jeep Liberty CRD
-Air/water Intercooler
-"lightened" 240D flywheel
- 2.5" Exhaust with Aero Turbine muffler
- VDO Pyrometer and Boost Gauges
-Nardi Steering Wheel
-Round Style Euro Lights

This car came to me in the summer of 2006 for the measly sum of $400 not running. Thinking I could easily get it running and make a quick buck I bought it and towed it home. While trying to get the stock 616 running something went wrong and it seized up when I was cranking it with the starter. I could not figure out what went wrong so out came the dead 616 and in went a turbo 617. After that I decided to keep the car. Wink Next came the air/water intercooler. It is an eBay special with a Honda Goldwing radiator too keep it cool. I recently added the VGT to get better drivability, efficiency and power. The car feels much faster now, and I got the added bonus of a 2-3 MPG increase.

Last summer while refurbishing the interior I discovered some serious rust problems in the floor. The winter and spring were spent welding in new factory metal in these areas. The car is currently under the knife receiving a front end rebuild, Vogtland lowering springs and a 15mm rear sway bar. After this is done the car should be a bit more fun to toss around corners. More details when I finish.

[attachment=5]<!-- ia5 -->engine pull.JPG<!-- ia5 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=4]<!-- ia4 -->View.jpg<!-- ia4 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=3]<!-- ia3 -->int.jpg<!-- ia3 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->badge.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->DSC01940a.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->VGT and IC.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]
Attached Files
Image(s)

bgkast
07-16-2008, 11:58 PM #1

Vital Statistics:

1979 Pastel Blue 240D with 311,000 Miles on the chassis

-4 speed manual transmission with "shorty" laser engraved wood shift knob
-617 turbo engine from a 1980 300SD
-Garrett GT2056V VGT from a Jeep Liberty CRD
-Air/water Intercooler
-"lightened" 240D flywheel
- 2.5" Exhaust with Aero Turbine muffler
- VDO Pyrometer and Boost Gauges
-Nardi Steering Wheel
-Round Style Euro Lights

This car came to me in the summer of 2006 for the measly sum of $400 not running. Thinking I could easily get it running and make a quick buck I bought it and towed it home. While trying to get the stock 616 running something went wrong and it seized up when I was cranking it with the starter. I could not figure out what went wrong so out came the dead 616 and in went a turbo 617. After that I decided to keep the car. Wink Next came the air/water intercooler. It is an eBay special with a Honda Goldwing radiator too keep it cool. I recently added the VGT to get better drivability, efficiency and power. The car feels much faster now, and I got the added bonus of a 2-3 MPG increase.

Last summer while refurbishing the interior I discovered some serious rust problems in the floor. The winter and spring were spent welding in new factory metal in these areas. The car is currently under the knife receiving a front end rebuild, Vogtland lowering springs and a 15mm rear sway bar. After this is done the car should be a bit more fun to toss around corners. More details when I finish.

[attachment=5]<!-- ia5 -->engine pull.JPG<!-- ia5 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=4]<!-- ia4 -->View.jpg<!-- ia4 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=3]<!-- ia3 -->int.jpg<!-- ia3 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=2]<!-- ia2 -->badge.jpg<!-- ia2 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->DSC01940a.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]
[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->VGT and IC.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]

Attached Files
Image(s)

bgkast
VGT-Intercooled

09-28-2008, 01:02 AM #2
I got the Vogtands and 15mm rear sway bar in. The car now has a much better stance and it does not wallow in the corners now. I also had a custom down pipe made for the VGT so the whole exhaust is custom made now.
Attached Files
Image(s)

bgkast
09-28-2008, 01:02 AM #2

I got the Vogtands and 15mm rear sway bar in. The car now has a much better stance and it does not wallow in the corners now. I also had a custom down pipe made for the VGT so the whole exhaust is custom made now.

Attached Files
Image(s)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average