STD Tuning Engine Turbo seals..how often are they actually bad?

Turbo seals..how often are they actually bad?

Turbo seals..how often are they actually bad?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

11-20-2009, 09:33 PM #1
I got myself a 2256v for cheap to play around with...and install hopefully. (Not looking to go for a lot of power (for now), just better economy and low end)

Anyway, the seller claimed that the turbo was "shooting oil into the manifold and the seals were bad". However, there was no elaboration on it, and they didn't seem to really know anything about the unit.

From what I can tell, it seems fine..it was quite oily (only on the compressor side on one side of the blades but not the other, and all over the outside). Barely any shaft play whatsoever. Spins freely, does not touch housing.

Reading on Sprinter forums, it seems that they have issues with breather hoses becoming clogged, bad oil drain, etc..which would cause the vacuum on the compressor side to suck out oil. Plus, the oil drain was right by the actuator, which was also covered in oily soot. (Which leads me to believe that the oil drain became clogged)

Plus, we all know how a lot of these turbos get sold as cores...something is wrong with the vehicle, the turbo gets blamed and replaced...and a lot of times it was fine.

Anyway, I have read by a number of people that the seals rarely go bad, unless it is a result of excessive shaft play.

What do you all think?

If the seals do turn out to be bad, how much would it cost to replace them? Like I said, everything else seems fine, so it doesn't need a rebuild as far as I can tell.
This post was last modified: 11-20-2009, 11:57 PM by awsrock.
awsrock
11-20-2009, 09:33 PM #1

I got myself a 2256v for cheap to play around with...and install hopefully. (Not looking to go for a lot of power (for now), just better economy and low end)

Anyway, the seller claimed that the turbo was "shooting oil into the manifold and the seals were bad". However, there was no elaboration on it, and they didn't seem to really know anything about the unit.

From what I can tell, it seems fine..it was quite oily (only on the compressor side on one side of the blades but not the other, and all over the outside). Barely any shaft play whatsoever. Spins freely, does not touch housing.

Reading on Sprinter forums, it seems that they have issues with breather hoses becoming clogged, bad oil drain, etc..which would cause the vacuum on the compressor side to suck out oil. Plus, the oil drain was right by the actuator, which was also covered in oily soot. (Which leads me to believe that the oil drain became clogged)

Plus, we all know how a lot of these turbos get sold as cores...something is wrong with the vehicle, the turbo gets blamed and replaced...and a lot of times it was fine.

Anyway, I have read by a number of people that the seals rarely go bad, unless it is a result of excessive shaft play.

What do you all think?

If the seals do turn out to be bad, how much would it cost to replace them? Like I said, everything else seems fine, so it doesn't need a rebuild as far as I can tell.

Kiwibacon
GT2256V

11-21-2009, 05:46 PM #2
IMO turbo oil seals never go bad by themselves.
Turbo oil seals are a labrinth seal (like piston rings), so they always let some gas past. They rely on the pressure being higher in the compressor and turbine housings than in the centre section (which is connected via a drain to the crank-case).

Turbo seals only leak when the pressure is higher in the bearing core or crank case (blocked drain or breather etc) or when the bushings which support the shaft are rooted.
My guess is your turbo will work fine with a good drain.
Kiwibacon
11-21-2009, 05:46 PM #2

IMO turbo oil seals never go bad by themselves.
Turbo oil seals are a labrinth seal (like piston rings), so they always let some gas past. They rely on the pressure being higher in the compressor and turbine housings than in the centre section (which is connected via a drain to the crank-case).

Turbo seals only leak when the pressure is higher in the bearing core or crank case (blocked drain or breather etc) or when the bushings which support the shaft are rooted.
My guess is your turbo will work fine with a good drain.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average