STD Other Open Dilemma

Dilemma

Dilemma

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-20-2009, 03:42 PM #1
One company says I'm a candidate for hire at a good wage, but its not a sure bet yet.
A second company wants to hire me immediately for but for $2/hr less and the shop isn't as well run (plus they're a city of Denver subcontractor).

I need to work, but I don't want to throw away the potential for a much better earning position in a better shop. I can't just switch jobs after a couple days if the better one accepts me, I have a toolbox that requires a fair bit of effort to transport.

I'm leaning towards dropping the second company. What do you suggest?
This post was last modified: 11-20-2009, 04:53 PM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-20-2009, 03:42 PM #1

One company says I'm a candidate for hire at a good wage, but its not a sure bet yet.
A second company wants to hire me immediately for but for $2/hr less and the shop isn't as well run (plus they're a city of Denver subcontractor).

I need to work, but I don't want to throw away the potential for a much better earning position in a better shop. I can't just switch jobs after a couple days if the better one accepts me, I have a toolbox that requires a fair bit of effort to transport.

I'm leaning towards dropping the second company. What do you suggest?

JB3
Superturbo

11-20-2009, 04:20 PM #2
is there a difference in health benefits, or none for either?
JB3
11-20-2009, 04:20 PM #2

is there a difference in health benefits, or none for either?

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-20-2009, 04:53 PM #3
Both are decent, but the first is a little better.
ForcedInduction
11-20-2009, 04:53 PM #3

Both are decent, but the first is a little better.

JB3
Superturbo

11-20-2009, 07:01 PM #4
How long till you know for sure? If you can wait it out, and have the ability to wait it out if its a fairly short term wait, then thats probably a good idea.

If you need the income, id take some crappy temporary box with necessary tools over to the second job and wait on moving the big box until I heard from the first job.
JB3
11-20-2009, 07:01 PM #4

How long till you know for sure? If you can wait it out, and have the ability to wait it out if its a fairly short term wait, then thats probably a good idea.

If you need the income, id take some crappy temporary box with necessary tools over to the second job and wait on moving the big box until I heard from the first job.

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

11-20-2009, 08:33 PM #5
Call the first company and tell them that you got another other offer for less $ and your more interested in working for them! and see what they say it might speed up the process and make you look like a better hire since your in demand!!! good luck!!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
11-20-2009, 08:33 PM #5

Call the first company and tell them that you got another other offer for less $ and your more interested in working for them! and see what they say it might speed up the process and make you look like a better hire since your in demand!!! good luck!!!!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

totaldisaster
lightly modded OM606

11-20-2009, 08:36 PM #6
-how long can they ask you to hold on? Don't let them string you along, be a little pushy (you know all about that) and talk to the person who is ultimately going to make this decision... get a feel for their current thoughts.

Make them make a decision.... without being diick. --you should know the limits.

I don't know what the economy is like there... but I would jump on the first sure thing if I was currently unemployed.

good luck
totaldisaster
11-20-2009, 08:36 PM #6

-how long can they ask you to hold on? Don't let them string you along, be a little pushy (you know all about that) and talk to the person who is ultimately going to make this decision... get a feel for their current thoughts.

Make them make a decision.... without being diick. --you should know the limits.

I don't know what the economy is like there... but I would jump on the first sure thing if I was currently unemployed.

good luck

Rudolf_Diesel
Ask me if I care...

11-20-2009, 10:46 PM #7
Tell the first company you have an offer at another company, but don't metion the wage differential. Someone in demand is worth taking another look at. Also you need to look at the big picture - is that $80.00 bucks a week something that can be negotiated as a merit increase once you have proven your abilities? After your 90 day probation...

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.
Rudolf_Diesel
11-20-2009, 10:46 PM #7

Tell the first company you have an offer at another company, but don't metion the wage differential. Someone in demand is worth taking another look at. Also you need to look at the big picture - is that $80.00 bucks a week something that can be negotiated as a merit increase once you have proven your abilities? After your 90 day probation...

1982 300SD: 304,xxx Super M-pump with 7.5mm elements, 265 Nozzles, GT35 water cooled turbo, M90 Supercharger, A/W Intercooler, Serpentine drive belt, 3" SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, 240 breather, AEM dry Filter, Manual Boost Control, EGT / Boost / EMP gauges....Moved on to other projects

1995 F-350 7.3L PSD: 230,xxx 6.0 IC, DIY Stage 1 Injectors, 17* hpop, Tony Wildman Chip, John Wood Trans, 6.4L TC, 3" down pipe, 4" straight exhaust, 310 HP on wheel dyno - 8500# dually: 0-60 in 6.98

Suzuki Samurai: VW 1.9L TD, Trackick doubler transfer case (made by me) 5.8:1 transfer case gears, YJ springs front and rear with rear missing links, wheel base extended 14", diffs welded, some day a VNT.

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

11-21-2009, 12:06 AM #8
I suppose the $2/hr less depends on how it compares to your last job...

If it is still more than your were making, I would highly consider it if you can get them to hold out for another week or two, just to see what the deal is with the first company. I know the feeling of hoping two people will hire you. Unfortunately for me, I have only had one interview in the past three months!!

Illinois is a shitty place to find scientific or government jobs at the moment, though.

But yeah, the longer I am out of work, the less I am caring about how much I make when an offer finally comes through. (As long as it is enough for me to be able to move out and support myself within a few months of hire)

However, making $12/hr for the past year, and $10/hr the two years before that, I know how much of a difference $2/ hr can make. If it was between like $24 and $26, though, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to me, in my opinion.
awsrock
11-21-2009, 12:06 AM #8

I suppose the $2/hr less depends on how it compares to your last job...

If it is still more than your were making, I would highly consider it if you can get them to hold out for another week or two, just to see what the deal is with the first company. I know the feeling of hoping two people will hire you. Unfortunately for me, I have only had one interview in the past three months!!

Illinois is a shitty place to find scientific or government jobs at the moment, though.

But yeah, the longer I am out of work, the less I am caring about how much I make when an offer finally comes through. (As long as it is enough for me to be able to move out and support myself within a few months of hire)

However, making $12/hr for the past year, and $10/hr the two years before that, I know how much of a difference $2/ hr can make. If it was between like $24 and $26, though, it wouldn't be as big of a deal to me, in my opinion.

JB3
Superturbo

11-21-2009, 09:32 AM #9
(11-21-2009, 12:06 AM)awsrock But yeah, the longer I am out of work, the less I am caring about how much I make when an offer finally comes through. (As long as it is enough for me to be able to move out and support myself within a few months of hire)

I totally agree with this, I had JUST left a job and spent a large sum of money moving a thousand miles at the start of the economic downturn. My plans at the time fell through, and I ended up putting in dozens of applications everywhere I could find. In desperation, I got to the point where i was working at edible arrangements making fruit baskets just to stay out of a shelter, which was almost less than a third the wage of my previous job. (I gotta say though, those things are F-ing delicious. There were fringe benefits)

The thing that annoyed me the most was that a lot of these big corporate places take FOREVER to get back to you. I even put in an application at Pep Boys, (a place I had vowed I would never work again) and 4 months later, they called to say I was hired. If I had waited that long, they would have found me living in my tool box in a local park.

I still say take the sure thing and keep your options open on the other. If the first is a big place, it might take a while for them to push your info through all the bullshit.
I also agree with the strategy of pushing them a little, it would show you are hungry, and keep you in their minds.

The other thing though is that Im not sure it would be a good idea to try and play both places against each other. A year ago, I would totally agree with that, but now there are enough people out of work that that strategy might back fire. You might end up with both places telling you to piss off and choosing other applicants.

It really depends on the situation in your area.
This post was last modified: 11-21-2009, 09:40 AM by JB3.
JB3
11-21-2009, 09:32 AM #9

(11-21-2009, 12:06 AM)awsrock But yeah, the longer I am out of work, the less I am caring about how much I make when an offer finally comes through. (As long as it is enough for me to be able to move out and support myself within a few months of hire)

I totally agree with this, I had JUST left a job and spent a large sum of money moving a thousand miles at the start of the economic downturn. My plans at the time fell through, and I ended up putting in dozens of applications everywhere I could find. In desperation, I got to the point where i was working at edible arrangements making fruit baskets just to stay out of a shelter, which was almost less than a third the wage of my previous job. (I gotta say though, those things are F-ing delicious. There were fringe benefits)

The thing that annoyed me the most was that a lot of these big corporate places take FOREVER to get back to you. I even put in an application at Pep Boys, (a place I had vowed I would never work again) and 4 months later, they called to say I was hired. If I had waited that long, they would have found me living in my tool box in a local park.

I still say take the sure thing and keep your options open on the other. If the first is a big place, it might take a while for them to push your info through all the bullshit.
I also agree with the strategy of pushing them a little, it would show you are hungry, and keep you in their minds.

The other thing though is that Im not sure it would be a good idea to try and play both places against each other. A year ago, I would totally agree with that, but now there are enough people out of work that that strategy might back fire. You might end up with both places telling you to piss off and choosing other applicants.

It really depends on the situation in your area.

Kiwibacon
GT2256V

11-21-2009, 10:39 PM #10
(11-20-2009, 10:46 PM)Rudolf_Diesel Tell the first company you have an offer at another company, but don't metion the wage differential.

Exactly. Don't sell yourself short (like mentioning less money elsewhere). But do mention that this is the company you'd really like to work for.
Kiwibacon
11-21-2009, 10:39 PM #10

(11-20-2009, 10:46 PM)Rudolf_Diesel Tell the first company you have an offer at another company, but don't metion the wage differential.

Exactly. Don't sell yourself short (like mentioning less money elsewhere). But do mention that this is the company you'd really like to work for.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-26-2009, 02:13 AM #11
I didn't hear back from the first today but the second did call me and set up a second interview for Monday.

My old night-shift co-workers invited me to come to the shop for a quick thanksgiving BBQ lunch/dinner. Its too bad the shop won't offer my job back, we had a good working team that put the day shift to shame in work quality and productivity.
The bad side of it is I found out my toolbox was broken into within the last week and all my tap & die sets were stolen, including the 16mm tap I needed to make the 2micron Baldwin filter bases, and one of my keys is missing. There are no cameras in the trailer shop so there is little hope of finding out who did it. I moved the box into the truck shop where more eyes can see it and put the drawers facing inwards so they can't be opened without moving the entire box. I'd love to move it out but I simply have nowhere to move it to.
This post was last modified: 11-26-2009, 02:18 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
11-26-2009, 02:13 AM #11

I didn't hear back from the first today but the second did call me and set up a second interview for Monday.

My old night-shift co-workers invited me to come to the shop for a quick thanksgiving BBQ lunch/dinner. Its too bad the shop won't offer my job back, we had a good working team that put the day shift to shame in work quality and productivity.
The bad side of it is I found out my toolbox was broken into within the last week and all my tap & die sets were stolen, including the 16mm tap I needed to make the 2micron Baldwin filter bases, and one of my keys is missing. There are no cameras in the trailer shop so there is little hope of finding out who did it. I moved the box into the truck shop where more eyes can see it and put the drawers facing inwards so they can't be opened without moving the entire box. I'd love to move it out but I simply have nowhere to move it to.

winmutt
bitbanger

12-01-2009, 05:28 PM #12
Does job number 1 or 2 have shock sensors? lol

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
12-01-2009, 05:28 PM #12

Does job number 1 or 2 have shock sensors? lol

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-01-2009, 10:33 PM #13
LOL, both have cameras installed.

The second company ended up ambushing me into taking the job. I went in for a second interview on Monday and 3 minutes after sitting down they had me in HR for orientation!
ForcedInduction
12-01-2009, 10:33 PM #13

LOL, both have cameras installed.

The second company ended up ambushing me into taking the job. I went in for a second interview on Monday and 3 minutes after sitting down they had me in HR for orientation!

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

12-01-2009, 11:02 PM #14
(12-01-2009, 10:33 PM)ForcedInduction ....

If I read that correctly..... Means you took the job. Right? Congrats! Hopefully they will be a good employer to ya.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
12-01-2009, 11:02 PM #14

(12-01-2009, 10:33 PM)ForcedInduction ....

If I read that correctly..... Means you took the job. Right? Congrats! Hopefully they will be a good employer to ya.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

winmutt
bitbanger

12-02-2009, 05:07 PM #15
Beware the fast hire.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42
winmutt
12-02-2009, 05:07 PM #15

Beware the fast hire.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
OBK #42

ForcedInduction
Banned

12-14-2009, 12:54 AM #16
Working the 5:30pm-4am shift is pretty decent so far. Only one asshole to work around on Wednesday and the rest of the week is a small crew that gets along very well and knows what they are doing. The buses are well maintained, modern builds and the shop has good lifts that can put the 40,000lb coaches 6' in the air.

This is the Cummins ISM powering a 2006 Orion V.

This post was last modified: 12-14-2009, 02:40 AM by ForcedInduction.
ForcedInduction
12-14-2009, 12:54 AM #16

Working the 5:30pm-4am shift is pretty decent so far. Only one asshole to work around on Wednesday and the rest of the week is a small crew that gets along very well and knows what they are doing. The buses are well maintained, modern builds and the shop has good lifts that can put the 40,000lb coaches 6' in the air.

This is the Cummins ISM powering a 2006 Orion V.

charmalu
GTA2056V

12-14-2009, 02:35 AM #17
Congratulations on the new job, it`s a good feeling when the cashflow
starts rolling in again.

HMMMM, hope these drivers are better than some of the Swift drivers
you posted in the past.

Suck loosing your tools, some one will talk eventually at the old shop
and Iam sure you have friends there.

Charlie
charmalu
12-14-2009, 02:35 AM #17