STD Tuning Engine Turbo shaft snapped causes engine to hydrolock?

Turbo shaft snapped causes engine to hydrolock?

Turbo shaft snapped causes engine to hydrolock?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Echo575
Naturally-aspirated

08-05-2023, 06:23 PM #1
We tuned my buddy's om601 that had a Garrett GT15 if I remember correctly and we had heavy overboost at I think around 2.5 bar max at around 4000 rpm and today while pulling after fueling adjustments suddenly a ton of white smoke exploded from the exhaust and 5 seconds later the engine lost all power and shut off and we rolled to a stop on the side of the road. Investigating we saw oil dripping out of the exhaust and we tried to start it and the starter was unable to even turn over the engine. 

Luckily we were a 10 minute walk away from home and went to get a tractor and pulled the car back and investigation revealed that the turbine shaft had snapped and the intake turbine had seized into the housing. We took off the boost pipe and oil was there obviously since it was in the exhaust too. Well we removed the oil line from the turbo and plugged that off and put a filter to the intake and we were going to drive it back to his shop to repair it. 

After that we wondered if it would start and it did start fine probably because oil fell through old piston rings back to oil pan and after a bit off a runaway that we had to stall by dropping the clutch in gear. After burning off the oil in the intake the engine idled quite fine but it had a bit of a knock to it and we thought it was caused by there still being oil in the intake (still had a bit of white smoke).  We let it idle but the idle got worse and worse until it was obviously only running on 2 cylinders and 10 minutes after it would barely even run at full throttle. Soon enough it wouldn't run at all. 

We tried giving it start spray but would barely run on that. Unfortunetely 3 cylinders had very low compression while 1 had maybe barely enough to run.

I don't know if it's possible that since at the time the shaft snapped we had such a high rpm it drove so much oil in the cylinders that caused the engine to hydrolock since it shut off when it happened and this caused the rods to bend. If the rods were already bent a bit but enough to run I wonder if they could have bent more while running afterwards and caused such a low compression that it wouldn't even run anymore?

Sadly I fear this is the end of this car since it's in such a bad condition anyways that it will be scrapped now.

Obviously the engine was lost at the moment the turbo exploded but has anyone ever seen an engine hydrolock from turbo driving oil into the intake while running instead of running away?
Echo575
08-05-2023, 06:23 PM #1

We tuned my buddy's om601 that had a Garrett GT15 if I remember correctly and we had heavy overboost at I think around 2.5 bar max at around 4000 rpm and today while pulling after fueling adjustments suddenly a ton of white smoke exploded from the exhaust and 5 seconds later the engine lost all power and shut off and we rolled to a stop on the side of the road. Investigating we saw oil dripping out of the exhaust and we tried to start it and the starter was unable to even turn over the engine. 

Luckily we were a 10 minute walk away from home and went to get a tractor and pulled the car back and investigation revealed that the turbine shaft had snapped and the intake turbine had seized into the housing. We took off the boost pipe and oil was there obviously since it was in the exhaust too. Well we removed the oil line from the turbo and plugged that off and put a filter to the intake and we were going to drive it back to his shop to repair it. 

After that we wondered if it would start and it did start fine probably because oil fell through old piston rings back to oil pan and after a bit off a runaway that we had to stall by dropping the clutch in gear. After burning off the oil in the intake the engine idled quite fine but it had a bit of a knock to it and we thought it was caused by there still being oil in the intake (still had a bit of white smoke).  We let it idle but the idle got worse and worse until it was obviously only running on 2 cylinders and 10 minutes after it would barely even run at full throttle. Soon enough it wouldn't run at all. 

We tried giving it start spray but would barely run on that. Unfortunetely 3 cylinders had very low compression while 1 had maybe barely enough to run.

I don't know if it's possible that since at the time the shaft snapped we had such a high rpm it drove so much oil in the cylinders that caused the engine to hydrolock since it shut off when it happened and this caused the rods to bend. If the rods were already bent a bit but enough to run I wonder if they could have bent more while running afterwards and caused such a low compression that it wouldn't even run anymore?

Sadly I fear this is the end of this car since it's in such a bad condition anyways that it will be scrapped now.

Obviously the engine was lost at the moment the turbo exploded but has anyone ever seen an engine hydrolock from turbo driving oil into the intake while running instead of running away?

flosenk05
Naturally-aspirated

12-04-2023, 06:40 AM #2
I think the engine didnt runaway because he didnt get enough air since the turbo blew otherwise you could search your pistons on the other side of the moon. 
Happened twice to me already in a 1.9 tdi that the shaft snapped and both times no runaway not even with ignition on since they have a shutdown valve in the intake.
flosenk05
12-04-2023, 06:40 AM #2

I think the engine didnt runaway because he didnt get enough air since the turbo blew otherwise you could search your pistons on the other side of the moon. 
Happened twice to me already in a 1.9 tdi that the shaft snapped and both times no runaway not even with ignition on since they have a shutdown valve in the intake.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average