STD Tuning Drivetrain 300D transmission upshifting early?

300D transmission upshifting early?

300D transmission upshifting early?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-15-2009, 02:59 PM #1
So I've procured my 300D for the MT transplant. What I'd like to do is essentially swap all pedal/shifter/transmission components as much as possible (I'm pretty sure I'm going to need the automatic 240D forward driveshaft, and two 240D auto trans crossmembers), ending up with a 300D manual and an auto 240D.

To get the 300D home, though, I've got to go up a looong grade. The car seems to want to upshift immediately, keeping the car out of boost. I'm pretty sure this is a vacuum related problem and should be an easy fix as long as I know what I'm looking for...

It's an 83 300D, btw.

I'm hoping the trans is ok. I might stretch the project out a little - keep the 300D intact to demonstrate what I hope is a healthy working transmission, sell the trans, do the swap, and use the fundage from the auto trans to get another 4 speed for the 240D and the related parts. The 240 is ok with a manual, I picture it being purgatory with an automatic. Although I am trying to talk my boss into getting a parts Toyota truck with a W57 transmission as a home for the 616 - would be a high mpg parts runner/house truck.

Anyway, yeah, if anyone happens to know what particular AT gremlin this is (I really hate automatics, I really, really do), it would help out a lot.
CID Vicious
11-15-2009, 02:59 PM #1

So I've procured my 300D for the MT transplant. What I'd like to do is essentially swap all pedal/shifter/transmission components as much as possible (I'm pretty sure I'm going to need the automatic 240D forward driveshaft, and two 240D auto trans crossmembers), ending up with a 300D manual and an auto 240D.

To get the 300D home, though, I've got to go up a looong grade. The car seems to want to upshift immediately, keeping the car out of boost. I'm pretty sure this is a vacuum related problem and should be an easy fix as long as I know what I'm looking for...

It's an 83 300D, btw.

I'm hoping the trans is ok. I might stretch the project out a little - keep the 300D intact to demonstrate what I hope is a healthy working transmission, sell the trans, do the swap, and use the fundage from the auto trans to get another 4 speed for the 240D and the related parts. The 240 is ok with a manual, I picture it being purgatory with an automatic. Although I am trying to talk my boss into getting a parts Toyota truck with a W57 transmission as a home for the 616 - would be a high mpg parts runner/house truck.

Anyway, yeah, if anyone happens to know what particular AT gremlin this is (I really hate automatics, I really, really do), it would help out a lot.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-15-2009, 05:20 PM #2
Disconnected/broken bowden cable. Vacuum has no control over shift time, just quality.
ForcedInduction
11-15-2009, 05:20 PM #2

Disconnected/broken bowden cable. Vacuum has no control over shift time, just quality.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-15-2009, 05:44 PM #3
Where do I look for this cable? About how much do they cost? And hey, while I'm at it, is there any danger in running the transmission like this? I know that GM transmissions with the cable controlled shifts will eat themselves if driven like that too long.
CID Vicious
11-15-2009, 05:44 PM #3

Where do I look for this cable? About how much do they cost? And hey, while I'm at it, is there any danger in running the transmission like this? I know that GM transmissions with the cable controlled shifts will eat themselves if driven like that too long.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-15-2009, 05:54 PM #4
The connection is on top of the valve cover going to the right side of the transmission. It looks like a regular bicycle cable and costs around $20.

Bowden Cable

It puts a lot of stress on the transmission and engine, the less you drive it in that condition, the better.
ForcedInduction
11-15-2009, 05:54 PM #4

The connection is on top of the valve cover going to the right side of the transmission. It looks like a regular bicycle cable and costs around $20.

Bowden Cable

It puts a lot of stress on the transmission and engine, the less you drive it in that condition, the better.

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-20-2009, 01:48 PM #5
FYI, if anyone else is having this same problem, the car behaves much better if you start out in S and move up to D for the last shift. It still has a quick 1-2 shift but drives all right, it was very slow just left in D. Went up the 14 no problem, no problem at all once on the highway. Just in case someone has this problem later and thinks they're stuck...
CID Vicious
11-20-2009, 01:48 PM #5

FYI, if anyone else is having this same problem, the car behaves much better if you start out in S and move up to D for the last shift. It still has a quick 1-2 shift but drives all right, it was very slow just left in D. Went up the 14 no problem, no problem at all once on the highway. Just in case someone has this problem later and thinks they're stuck...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average