STD Tuning Engine OM606 Exhaust manifold with centered outlet group buy interest?

OM606 Exhaust manifold with centered outlet group buy interest?

OM606 Exhaust manifold with centered outlet group buy interest?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

vica153
GT2256V

09-30-2020, 05:43 PM #1
Hello.

TLDR: Do you want an OM606 exhaust manifold with the outlet flange in the middle between cylinders 3 & 4?  If I get at least 3 other people willing to buy one then I will make a batch of them instead of just 1.

I needed an exhaust manifold that put the outlet flange for the turbo back between cylinders 3/4.  I also don't really have room for a tubular manifold, so I designed a billet manifold to fit my specific project.  I thought I would check around to see if there was anyone else that would like to have one of these manifolds. As with any machined part, making a batch a several parts very quickly drops the cost per part.  Even if its only 3-4 manifolds, the cost of each would be substantially less than if I only made one for myself.

Its a twin scroll design so the flow from the first 3 cylinders is separate from the last 3 cylinders and has a T4 outlet flange. The outlet flange started at a 45degree angle and is turned slightly so that the compressor inlet is pointed upward and away from the engine slightly since that fits the intake piping better.

I also made a version with the T4 flange straight horizontally outlet if that works for anyone.

The outlet is in the middle, so the flow will be much more even between the front and back cylinders compared to stock. The size and geometry of the flow volume are both much improved as well.  A welded tube manifold with equal length runs for each cylinder might have a slight advantage at high rpm, but I doubt it would ever be noticeable in any real world application. My design takes up much less room than a tubular design would.

I plan on running an EFR 7064 and pushing ~400HP and I'm confident this manifold wont be limiting me at all.

If someone wants the manifold, but really cannot deal with the T4 flange then we may be able to work out a deal for a different flange since it is machined separately.

There are three 1/8npt holes for sensors in the outlet flange. I also put a boss in the top of each scroll in case someone wanted even more sensors.  If more people want a boss near each cylinder outlet to allow for EGT sensors at each one then I can add that.

A wastegate could be added very easily with a section of pipe and VBand flange.  Different gates have different flanges though, so you could add it yourself or provide part details for your specific setup.

Making it out of stainless steel would add quite a lot of cost, so I'm going with mild steel.  I plan on having it ceramic coated anyway, so stainless would be mostly wasted.

The group buy in would just be $250 to cover the cost of ordering steel to start manufacturing.  I'm planning to keep the final cost under $1500.

Link to CAD Screenshots.
This post was last modified: 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM by vica153.
vica153
09-30-2020, 05:43 PM #1

Hello.

TLDR: Do you want an OM606 exhaust manifold with the outlet flange in the middle between cylinders 3 & 4?  If I get at least 3 other people willing to buy one then I will make a batch of them instead of just 1.

I needed an exhaust manifold that put the outlet flange for the turbo back between cylinders 3/4.  I also don't really have room for a tubular manifold, so I designed a billet manifold to fit my specific project.  I thought I would check around to see if there was anyone else that would like to have one of these manifolds. As with any machined part, making a batch a several parts very quickly drops the cost per part.  Even if its only 3-4 manifolds, the cost of each would be substantially less than if I only made one for myself.

Its a twin scroll design so the flow from the first 3 cylinders is separate from the last 3 cylinders and has a T4 outlet flange. The outlet flange started at a 45degree angle and is turned slightly so that the compressor inlet is pointed upward and away from the engine slightly since that fits the intake piping better.

I also made a version with the T4 flange straight horizontally outlet if that works for anyone.

The outlet is in the middle, so the flow will be much more even between the front and back cylinders compared to stock. The size and geometry of the flow volume are both much improved as well.  A welded tube manifold with equal length runs for each cylinder might have a slight advantage at high rpm, but I doubt it would ever be noticeable in any real world application. My design takes up much less room than a tubular design would.

I plan on running an EFR 7064 and pushing ~400HP and I'm confident this manifold wont be limiting me at all.

If someone wants the manifold, but really cannot deal with the T4 flange then we may be able to work out a deal for a different flange since it is machined separately.

There are three 1/8npt holes for sensors in the outlet flange. I also put a boss in the top of each scroll in case someone wanted even more sensors.  If more people want a boss near each cylinder outlet to allow for EGT sensors at each one then I can add that.

A wastegate could be added very easily with a section of pipe and VBand flange.  Different gates have different flanges though, so you could add it yourself or provide part details for your specific setup.

Making it out of stainless steel would add quite a lot of cost, so I'm going with mild steel.  I plan on having it ceramic coated anyway, so stainless would be mostly wasted.

The group buy in would just be $250 to cover the cost of ordering steel to start manufacturing.  I'm planning to keep the final cost under $1500.

Link to CAD Screenshots.

zeeman
Holset

10-01-2020, 10:41 AM #2
vica153 Hello.  I needed an exhaust manifold that put the outlet flange for the turbo back between cylinders 3/4.  I also don't really have room for a tubular manifold, so I designed a billet manifold to fit my specific project.  I thought I would check around to see if there was anyone else that would like to have one of these manifolds. As with any machined part, making a batch a several parts very quickly drops the cost per part.  Even if its only 3-4 manifolds, the cost of each would be substantially less than if I only made one for myself.

Link to CAD Screenshots.
zeeman
10-01-2020, 10:41 AM #2

vica153 Hello.  I needed an exhaust manifold that put the outlet flange for the turbo back between cylinders 3/4.  I also don't really have room for a tubular manifold, so I designed a billet manifold to fit my specific project.  I thought I would check around to see if there was anyone else that would like to have one of these manifolds. As with any machined part, making a batch a several parts very quickly drops the cost per part.  Even if its only 3-4 manifolds, the cost of each would be substantially less than if I only made one for myself.

Link to CAD Screenshots.

zeeman
Holset

10-01-2020, 10:43 AM #3
zeeman

Link to CAD Screenshots.
Luke at Dieselpumpuk.com is already making something similar. You should take a look at it.
zeeman
10-01-2020, 10:43 AM #3

zeeman

Link to CAD Screenshots.
Luke at Dieselpumpuk.com is already making something similar. You should take a look at it.

vica153
GT2256V

10-01-2020, 02:37 PM #4
I am aware of the DPUK manifold.  As I described above, I have a specific location I need the turbo to be in.  The DPUK manifold would not work for me.

KangaroosTeam makes a cast iron manifold that also wouldn't work for me, but it is a good enough deal that I might relocate my dry sump pump to make it work. A better product for 1/3rd of the cost.

https://www.thekangaroosteam.com/shop-1/...n-manifold

I may still make a manifold for myself.  I like the idea of more even flow with the centered outlet.  Or if I get 3-4 people who need/want that location, then I'll make a batch.
This post was last modified: 10-16-2020, 04:14 PM by vica153.
vica153
10-01-2020, 02:37 PM #4

I am aware of the DPUK manifold.  As I described above, I have a specific location I need the turbo to be in.  The DPUK manifold would not work for me.

KangaroosTeam makes a cast iron manifold that also wouldn't work for me, but it is a good enough deal that I might relocate my dry sump pump to make it work. A better product for 1/3rd of the cost.

https://www.thekangaroosteam.com/shop-1/...n-manifold

I may still make a manifold for myself.  I like the idea of more even flow with the centered outlet.  Or if I get 3-4 people who need/want that location, then I'll make a batch.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average