STD Tuning Engine OM606A Coolant(?) leaking into injector well?

OM606A Coolant(?) leaking into injector well?

OM606A Coolant(?) leaking into injector well?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-18-2020, 06:36 PM #1
A plea to those of you with lots of OM606A mechanical experience:

I'm in the process of replacing the headgasket on my OM606A.  I found this interesting scene.  The #1 injector and it's well liberally encrusted with rust.  Due to the blown headgasket and many coolant refills, the coolant was 99% water.  So the water could have come from the cooling system without leaving the normal coolant traces.. 

Is this a place where a crack could form into a cooling passage?  Is this common?  Repairable?

The vehicle gets left for long periods without being driven.  So it is possible that it was pressure washed and the well filled with water and was left for weeks to rust.  Seems hard to believe that I could get that much water in there though.  The #2 well has *much* less rust in it, the rest none.  The fact that there is any in #2 kind of leans towards the pressure washing theory in my (maybe overly hopeful) opinion.

BTW: at 300K miles, the cylinders measure 87.00mm in both directions, top and bottom.  The honing marks are clearly visible all around.  Amazing.

[Image: 38817426bt.jpg]

[Image: 38817420rd.jpg]
AlanMcR
06-18-2020, 06:36 PM #1

A plea to those of you with lots of OM606A mechanical experience:

I'm in the process of replacing the headgasket on my OM606A.  I found this interesting scene.  The #1 injector and it's well liberally encrusted with rust.  Due to the blown headgasket and many coolant refills, the coolant was 99% water.  So the water could have come from the cooling system without leaving the normal coolant traces.. 

Is this a place where a crack could form into a cooling passage?  Is this common?  Repairable?

The vehicle gets left for long periods without being driven.  So it is possible that it was pressure washed and the well filled with water and was left for weeks to rust.  Seems hard to believe that I could get that much water in there though.  The #2 well has *much* less rust in it, the rest none.  The fact that there is any in #2 kind of leans towards the pressure washing theory in my (maybe overly hopeful) opinion.

BTW: at 300K miles, the cylinders measure 87.00mm in both directions, top and bottom.  The honing marks are clearly visible all around.  Amazing.

barrote
Superturbo

06-19-2020, 03:11 AM #2
Naa... well we haven't seen it all. Thousands of those were built so there might be failures in cast... otherwise cracks are not even common in 606 heads... as N/A and turbo are same cast.
Usually cracks develop from valve seat to the outside.
Anyway only way to find out is clean head and press test it.
But if u have a gasket burned... i wouldn't worry much.
That rust is quite common. Very often water goes in well and develop rust.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
06-19-2020, 03:11 AM #2

Naa... well we haven't seen it all. Thousands of those were built so there might be failures in cast... otherwise cracks are not even common in 606 heads... as N/A and turbo are same cast.
Usually cracks develop from valve seat to the outside.
Anyway only way to find out is clean head and press test it.
But if u have a gasket burned... i wouldn't worry much.
That rust is quite common. Very often water goes in well and develop rust.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-19-2020, 03:44 PM #3
Thanks for the feedback. 

Yes, the headgasket got roasted pretty well.
This is the intake side.  The exhaust side looked much better.

I notice the coolant flow restrictions designed into gasket.  Any benefit to drilling those a little larger?
[Image: 38823972lf.jpg]
AlanMcR
06-19-2020, 03:44 PM #3

Thanks for the feedback. 

Yes, the headgasket got roasted pretty well.
This is the intake side.  The exhaust side looked much better.

I notice the coolant flow restrictions designed into gasket.  Any benefit to drilling those a little larger?
[Image: 38823972lf.jpg]

Austincarnut
Holset

06-19-2020, 06:29 PM #4
(06-18-2020, 06:36 PM)AlanMcR A plea to those of you with lots of OM606A mechanical experience:

I've been there... 96 na 210 606 turd. The head was cracked, it would fill #3/4 intake ports in the cyl head overnight and wouldn't start.  Once identified I helped the owner use blue devil with no luck. He ended up replacing the engine.  I've tried to sell diag on a 97 with the complaint of coolant consumption between oil changes, engine ran hot, he declined.  I'm not sure what happened with that one. One more weird one, crank walked due to premature thrust bearing failure that could allow front crank weight to contact front timing cover. than that, they have been an excellent engine.
This post was last modified: 06-19-2020, 06:34 PM by Austincarnut.
Austincarnut
06-19-2020, 06:29 PM #4

(06-18-2020, 06:36 PM)AlanMcR A plea to those of you with lots of OM606A mechanical experience:

I've been there... 96 na 210 606 turd. The head was cracked, it would fill #3/4 intake ports in the cyl head overnight and wouldn't start.  Once identified I helped the owner use blue devil with no luck. He ended up replacing the engine.  I've tried to sell diag on a 97 with the complaint of coolant consumption between oil changes, engine ran hot, he declined.  I'm not sure what happened with that one. One more weird one, crank walked due to premature thrust bearing failure that could allow front crank weight to contact front timing cover. than that, they have been an excellent engine.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-19-2020, 08:43 PM #5
Not losing any coolant on normal driving. In fact it drove pretty well until pressed hard on a hill. Then it would rapidly heat up and vent the coolant. Combustion leakage seemed to be mostly between the two sheets of the metal head gasket.
It had the usual residual pressure in the coolant that is symptomatic of a HG failure in a diesel.
I guess my question is: where would I look for a crack that could fill that area?
AlanMcR
06-19-2020, 08:43 PM #5

Not losing any coolant on normal driving. In fact it drove pretty well until pressed hard on a hill. Then it would rapidly heat up and vent the coolant. Combustion leakage seemed to be mostly between the two sheets of the metal head gasket.
It had the usual residual pressure in the coolant that is symptomatic of a HG failure in a diesel.
I guess my question is: where would I look for a crack that could fill that area?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average