STD Tuning Engine IP splines not fully engaged?

IP splines not fully engaged?

IP splines not fully engaged?

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

06-09-2020, 06:37 PM #1
Installed OM603 pump onto OM606 block last night, and found the splines on the gear are not even half engaged. Is this normal?

Also, the IP bolt was loose (wobbling) when I took it apart. Any ideas how this happened or what it means? Is threadlocker advisable on these?
moroza
06-09-2020, 06:37 PM #1

Installed OM603 pump onto OM606 block last night, and found the splines on the gear are not even half engaged. Is this normal?

Also, the IP bolt was loose (wobbling) when I took it apart. Any ideas how this happened or what it means? Is threadlocker advisable on these?

baldur
Fast

06-09-2020, 08:12 PM #2
Sounds like installer error, no they should be properly engaged, and the bolt has a reverse thread so it should not come loose but it should be torqued to 45Nm. Under no circumstance should threadlocker be used because the bolt has a turned down section near the head and threadlocker could potentially make it impossible to remove without breaking.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-09-2020, 08:12 PM #2

Sounds like installer error, no they should be properly engaged, and the bolt has a reverse thread so it should not come loose but it should be torqued to 45Nm. Under no circumstance should threadlocker be used because the bolt has a turned down section near the head and threadlocker could potentially make it impossible to remove without breaking.

Baldur Gislason

zeeman
Holset

06-09-2020, 09:18 PM #3
baldur Sounds like installer error, no they should be properly engaged, and the bolt has a reverse thread so it should not come loose but it should be torqued to 45Nm. Under no circumstance should threadlocker be used because the bolt has a turned down section near the head and threadlocker could potentially make it impossible to remove without breaking.
I agree sounds like the splines are damaged due to the installer error. You might have to dress the splines with a small file to get it to slide in all the way.
zeeman
06-09-2020, 09:18 PM #3

baldur Sounds like installer error, no they should be properly engaged, and the bolt has a reverse thread so it should not come loose but it should be torqued to 45Nm. Under no circumstance should threadlocker be used because the bolt has a turned down section near the head and threadlocker could potentially make it impossible to remove without breaking.
I agree sounds like the splines are damaged due to the installer error. You might have to dress the splines with a small file to get it to slide in all the way.

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

06-10-2020, 04:36 AM #4
I took another look. The splines look healthy, the pump is mounted flush against the block, the chain isn't pushed all the way foward against the guide rail, the whole engine turns over fine, and most importantly - the splines on the pump are only about 8mm deep, while the gear has more than twice that. So I think the pump is fully engaged, I just don't understand what the extra splines on the gear are for.

Also mounted the gear on the pump with both out of the engine. When the gear bottoms out on the pump, there's still ~10-15mm remaining. So the $1200 question (the cost of a new pump) - should the input shaft have any axial play?

FWIW, both the original pump that came with the OM606, and the OM603 pump I pulled recently (its bolt was not loose), have the same spline engagement pattern.
This post was last modified: 06-10-2020, 04:42 AM by moroza.
moroza
06-10-2020, 04:36 AM #4

I took another look. The splines look healthy, the pump is mounted flush against the block, the chain isn't pushed all the way foward against the guide rail, the whole engine turns over fine, and most importantly - the splines on the pump are only about 8mm deep, while the gear has more than twice that. So I think the pump is fully engaged, I just don't understand what the extra splines on the gear are for.

Also mounted the gear on the pump with both out of the engine. When the gear bottoms out on the pump, there's still ~10-15mm remaining. So the $1200 question (the cost of a new pump) - should the input shaft have any axial play?

FWIW, both the original pump that came with the OM606, and the OM603 pump I pulled recently (its bolt was not loose), have the same spline engagement pattern.

zeeman
Holset

06-10-2020, 10:08 PM #5
moroza I took another look. The splines look healthy, the pump is mounted flush against the block, the chain isn't pushed all the way foward against the guide rail, the whole engine turns over fine, and most importantly - the splines on the pump are only about 8mm deep, while the gear has more than twice that. So I think the pump is fully engaged, I just don't understand what the extra splines on the gear are for.

There are extra splines on the gear, just the way it was designed. The gear bottoms out on the IP. shaft and the left hand bolt secures it tight. I don't know what is going on with yours, maybe some closeup pictures could explain things. The timing chain should also be against the chain guide.
zeeman
06-10-2020, 10:08 PM #5

moroza I took another look. The splines look healthy, the pump is mounted flush against the block, the chain isn't pushed all the way foward against the guide rail, the whole engine turns over fine, and most importantly - the splines on the pump are only about 8mm deep, while the gear has more than twice that. So I think the pump is fully engaged, I just don't understand what the extra splines on the gear are for.

There are extra splines on the gear, just the way it was designed. The gear bottoms out on the IP. shaft and the left hand bolt secures it tight. I don't know what is going on with yours, maybe some closeup pictures could explain things. The timing chain should also be against the chain guide.

junkyarddawg
Naturally-aspirated

06-12-2020, 06:55 AM #6
This is a normal appearance but you can measure the depth of the components with a caliper to make you feel better, also many of the LH thread bolts are over tightened and they stretch out and will come loose, put new one on there.
junkyarddawg
06-12-2020, 06:55 AM #6

This is a normal appearance but you can measure the depth of the components with a caliper to make you feel better, also many of the LH thread bolts are over tightened and they stretch out and will come loose, put new one on there.

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average