STD Tuning Engine Heat problem solution OM60X

Heat problem solution OM60X

Heat problem solution OM60X

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

dieselmeken
Holset

08-04-2015, 08:47 AM #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7GaCE7_...ture=share

This solution supposed to reduce the heat with 15% on rear cylinders on Superturbodiesels. We will try it out. Thing is to put cold water thru a bypass direct to cyl 5 & 6 without passing cyl 1-´4. You need 2 adaptors M16x1,5-M22 & M18x1,5-M22 and a connecting hose, hydralic hose or similar
dieselmeken
08-04-2015, 08:47 AM #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7GaCE7_...ture=share

This solution supposed to reduce the heat with 15% on rear cylinders on Superturbodiesels. We will try it out. Thing is to put cold water thru a bypass direct to cyl 5 & 6 without passing cyl 1-´4. You need 2 adaptors M16x1,5-M22 & M18x1,5-M22 and a connecting hose, hydralic hose or similar

Duncansport
Holset

08-04-2015, 08:57 AM #2
Nice work on this

This is a very similar solution that M-B had for the cylinder heads running hot at cylinder 5&6 on US 280SL's with the M130.
Duncansport
08-04-2015, 08:57 AM #2

Nice work on this

This is a very similar solution that M-B had for the cylinder heads running hot at cylinder 5&6 on US 280SL's with the M130.

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

08-04-2015, 07:21 PM #3
Great solution dieselmeken! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!
CRD4x4
08-04-2015, 07:21 PM #3

Great solution dieselmeken! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!

barrote
Superturbo

08-05-2015, 04:10 AM #4
despite i´ve been using the exit for the heater(rear of the engine) directly to the radiator, never thought that heating on the rear cylinders would be a problem. but now i know what is killing my head gaskets Smile
thanks for the sharing.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
08-05-2015, 04:10 AM #4

despite i´ve been using the exit for the heater(rear of the engine) directly to the radiator, never thought that heating on the rear cylinders would be a problem. but now i know what is killing my head gaskets Smile
thanks for the sharing.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

whipplem104
Holset

08-06-2015, 07:48 PM #5
I have a question. Why is coolant going to flow through this? The block is an open coolant jacket and I would think that there is going to be pretty equal pressure at the inlet and outlet of this setup. If the coolant is being overheated getting to the back of the engine that seems to be a flow problem caused by an inadequate water pump. Seems like it would be better to add an electric water pump to increase flow or overdrive the existing water pump.
whipplem104
08-06-2015, 07:48 PM #5

I have a question. Why is coolant going to flow through this? The block is an open coolant jacket and I would think that there is going to be pretty equal pressure at the inlet and outlet of this setup. If the coolant is being overheated getting to the back of the engine that seems to be a flow problem caused by an inadequate water pump. Seems like it would be better to add an electric water pump to increase flow or overdrive the existing water pump.

Matej
GT2256V

08-07-2015, 01:26 AM #6
In theory it is not a great system, but in practice it more than likely will deliver at least some colder coolant to the rear of the engine. So while it may not be 100% efficient, even if it only cools the rear two cylinders by a few degrees, it would still be better than nothing. The cooling system does not rely purely on pressure, and the pressure is definitely not equal everywhere in the system.

At the same time, I would be careful about using a hose/fitting with too big of a diameter. It would be no good if it just started serving as a coolant bypass for the front of the motor. Personally I would be afraid to use anything larger than a 4AN line.
However, this is all just speculation, and we would not know the real world effects until enough people try this mod and observe the effects.

Irony.cc
Matej
08-07-2015, 01:26 AM #6

In theory it is not a great system, but in practice it more than likely will deliver at least some colder coolant to the rear of the engine. So while it may not be 100% efficient, even if it only cools the rear two cylinders by a few degrees, it would still be better than nothing. The cooling system does not rely purely on pressure, and the pressure is definitely not equal everywhere in the system.

At the same time, I would be careful about using a hose/fitting with too big of a diameter. It would be no good if it just started serving as a coolant bypass for the front of the motor. Personally I would be afraid to use anything larger than a 4AN line.
However, this is all just speculation, and we would not know the real world effects until enough people try this mod and observe the effects.

Irony.cc

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

08-07-2015, 07:55 AM #7
Usually somewhere within the deck interface block deck / head gasket / head deck, there are coolant passages with restrictions going in size from smallest nearest water pump to biggest furthest from water pump to promote flow equally up from the block to the head to stop the coolant short looping directly from the water pump, up into the head and back out to the radiator bypassing the rear cylinders, this mod would appear to address that sorry one massive sentence..

An British Leyland Austin A-series engine has a very serious issue with this.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
08-07-2015, 07:55 AM #7

Usually somewhere within the deck interface block deck / head gasket / head deck, there are coolant passages with restrictions going in size from smallest nearest water pump to biggest furthest from water pump to promote flow equally up from the block to the head to stop the coolant short looping directly from the water pump, up into the head and back out to the radiator bypassing the rear cylinders, this mod would appear to address that sorry one massive sentence..

An British Leyland Austin A-series engine has a very serious issue with this.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

whipplem104
Holset

08-20-2015, 02:52 PM #8
So I have been thinking and looking at all of this. Couple of things to point out. 1 is that the n/a om606 and the turbo vs have different size water pump pulleys. And by a fair margin. Turbo is 5.5" and the n/a is 6.25". One would guess that it was either due to different max rev and cavitation or to increase flow for the turbo motor. I think that simply adding an external electric water pump to the stock system would increase flow if that is the problem. This would address the issue of the water becoming heat soaked before it makes it to the rear of the engine. And it would also address high rpm cavitation issues with a stock pump. Increased water pump flow for high performance engines is normal fare. A davies craig or meizere pump would definitely do the job. Although it would be tight quarters to fit in the car.
whipplem104
08-20-2015, 02:52 PM #8

So I have been thinking and looking at all of this. Couple of things to point out. 1 is that the n/a om606 and the turbo vs have different size water pump pulleys. And by a fair margin. Turbo is 5.5" and the n/a is 6.25". One would guess that it was either due to different max rev and cavitation or to increase flow for the turbo motor. I think that simply adding an external electric water pump to the stock system would increase flow if that is the problem. This would address the issue of the water becoming heat soaked before it makes it to the rear of the engine. And it would also address high rpm cavitation issues with a stock pump. Increased water pump flow for high performance engines is normal fare. A davies craig or meizere pump would definitely do the job. Although it would be tight quarters to fit in the car.

08-20-2015, 03:06 PM #9
Rover did this with theyr transverse A-series engines; they had a bypass coming from the cylinder head entering the bottom radiator hose. The australians modified this by runing it directly into the top radiator tank. This aids circulation at the end of the head (where it's important) whilst maintaining equal heat distribution throughout the engine. Also the water way in the head next to the pump are blocked by brass plugs to cut off pre-mature back-flow to the radiator. To sort of aid a "cross flow" through the cylinder head.

Some go "dry deck", I don't know how beneficial that is, though since the water needs to pass any cylinder and in theory cylinder 1 will then run hottest. But giving the coolant flow a little "push" to the rear end of the engine by creating a "pressure drop" (bypass) might be a good idea. Flow is lazy and always tries to go the shortest route. This bypass makes it a little happier to flow to the end of the engine.

I think a bypass from the hot side (exhaust side) of the cylinder head would be even better, but that's just my train of thought based on some early 50's machinery Big Grin What do I know, I'm just a panel beater-dirt eater :p

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
08-20-2015, 03:06 PM #9

Rover did this with theyr transverse A-series engines; they had a bypass coming from the cylinder head entering the bottom radiator hose. The australians modified this by runing it directly into the top radiator tank. This aids circulation at the end of the head (where it's important) whilst maintaining equal heat distribution throughout the engine. Also the water way in the head next to the pump are blocked by brass plugs to cut off pre-mature back-flow to the radiator. To sort of aid a "cross flow" through the cylinder head.

Some go "dry deck", I don't know how beneficial that is, though since the water needs to pass any cylinder and in theory cylinder 1 will then run hottest. But giving the coolant flow a little "push" to the rear end of the engine by creating a "pressure drop" (bypass) might be a good idea. Flow is lazy and always tries to go the shortest route. This bypass makes it a little happier to flow to the end of the engine.

I think a bypass from the hot side (exhaust side) of the cylinder head would be even better, but that's just my train of thought based on some early 50's machinery Big Grin What do I know, I'm just a panel beater-dirt eater :p

whipplem104
Holset

08-20-2015, 04:23 PM #10
That is just it. If it is a path of least resistance issue. Then increasing flow rate of the cooling system will equalize pressure in the block as the restrictions are in the headgasket/cyl. head. If you increase flow then coolant will be forced further down the block. You can put pipes anywhere you want but if coolant wants to just go through cylinder 1 and out the head then it will.
whipplem104
08-20-2015, 04:23 PM #10

That is just it. If it is a path of least resistance issue. Then increasing flow rate of the cooling system will equalize pressure in the block as the restrictions are in the headgasket/cyl. head. If you increase flow then coolant will be forced further down the block. You can put pipes anywhere you want but if coolant wants to just go through cylinder 1 and out the head then it will.

08-20-2015, 04:35 PM #11
Either that, or you pull the plug and remove resistance by adding a bypass. Many ways lead to rome... Or - maybe in the very first place, take some measurements Big Grin I've never had more than a 10°C difference from front to rear. With stock engines, though... But first of all, I'd determine if there actually IS a problem before finding a solution for a problem Big Grin

DiseaselWeasel
08-20-2015, 04:35 PM #11

Either that, or you pull the plug and remove resistance by adding a bypass. Many ways lead to rome... Or - maybe in the very first place, take some measurements Big Grin I've never had more than a 10°C difference from front to rear. With stock engines, though... But first of all, I'd determine if there actually IS a problem before finding a solution for a problem Big Grin

AlanMcR
mind - blown

08-20-2015, 11:39 PM #12
(08-20-2015, 04:35 PM)DiseaselWeasel ... But first of all, I'd determine if there actually IS a problem before finding a solution for a problem

Agreed.  This thread is the first that I have heard of a cooling system problem. 

The OM606 is known to have valve recession on cylinders 5 & 6, but that is more due to the EGR gas delivery being uneven.  When I did overheat an OM606 (no water), it stretched the two head bolts between 1 & 2.  The head itself didn't permanently warp.
AlanMcR
08-20-2015, 11:39 PM #12

(08-20-2015, 04:35 PM)DiseaselWeasel ... But first of all, I'd determine if there actually IS a problem before finding a solution for a problem

Agreed.  This thread is the first that I have heard of a cooling system problem. 

The OM606 is known to have valve recession on cylinders 5 & 6, but that is more due to the EGR gas delivery being uneven.  When I did overheat an OM606 (no water), it stretched the two head bolts between 1 & 2.  The head itself didn't permanently warp.

barrote
Superturbo

08-21-2015, 04:10 AM #13
they have heat issues when modified, and even when u run it hot a couple of times the head gasket always leaks between 5and 6 or 4and 5 always in the rear cylinders.
my engine being a 605 builds a bit heat when abused, but i dont have fan, to solve this problem i bipassed the heater exit directry to the radiator inlet, it did improve. at the moment i suspect the head gasket is leaking, a small leak thats why is heating up a bit. next time i will try this mod as well, it may work out or not , i´ll see and post about it.

regards

FD,