Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OM 606 idle miss and excessive blue smoke
zeeman Online
Holset

OM 606 idle miss and excessive blue smoke
I know this has been discussed on many blogs but none of them to seem to fit my issue.
My 98 E-300 which is my daily driver has been running fine, but all of a sudden when I start it in the morning and warm it up for a while it starts missing and blows out excessive blue smoke at any RPM. Sometimes if I turn the key off and restart it, it quits missing for a while.

It runs fine when started and then after about 10 minuets it starts missing and blows blue smoke. If I shut it off and wait 30 minuets and start it again it is fine for a while and then it starts missing and blowing blue smoke. If I start it and drive it right away it smokes a little going out the driveway and then when I get it out on the road it clears up and runs fine.

I come back and let it idle in a while it starts missing again and smoking excessively. The engine has about 185,000 and has been well maintained. No blow by.

This is what I have done so far with no fix.

1. Drained fuel tank and replaced fuel, cleaned strainer and blew out fuel lines
2. Replace all plastic fuel lines, fuel heater and all filters
3. Replaced DV washers and o-rings
4. Replaced injectors with rebuilt ones
5. Ran compression test 350 #  1-6
6. Replaced differential pressure valve and all rubber elbows
7. Replaced turbo had some oil in intercooler tube to intake.
8. Deleted EGR and did bypass in computer harness

I have noticed the timing chain is walking back and forth on the cam gear when running and looking in the oil cap hole, so I do have some timing chain wear.
Other then this I am at a loss at what to do next, I do have some new DV valves and springs coming to eliminate that.

Anyone have any other ideas, it almost acts like the oil drainback is plugged in the rear of the head and going down the valve guide.

Thanks Zeeman
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 02:43 PM by zeeman.)
05-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Find Reply
X Double Dot Offline
K26-2

RE: OM 606 idle miss and excessive blue smoke
sub'd 

I have a similar issue, the blue smoke starts up after the glow plugs have kicked off (I have a light that is wired to the glow plugs  which are on a i/o relay so I know when they kick off).  It's very noticeable when it's below 70F out.  It isn't noticeable when the engine temp is above 70-80F.   

Do you think it is related to air getting into the injection pump/injectors and retarding the timing?  The issue getting worse when there isn't a glow plug on to make sure the fuel burns?

(interesting to hear you replaced the turbo and it didn't make a difference, I was starting to wonder if that was causing it on mine).
05-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Find Reply
zeeman Online
Holset

X Double Dot Wrote:sub'd 

I have a similar issue, the blue smoke starts up after the glow plugs have kicked off (I have a light that is wired to the glow plugs  which are on a i/o relay so I know when they kick off).  It's very noticeable when it's below 70F out.  It isn't noticeable when the engine temp is above 70-80F.   

Do you think it is related to air getting into the injection pump/injectors and retarding the timing?  The issue getting worse when there isn't a glow plug on to make sure the fuel burns?

(interesting to hear you replaced the turbo and it didn't make a difference, I was starting to wonder if that was causing it on mine).
The air temp doesn't seem to matter in my case. But you may have a point about it starting after the glow plugs cycle. It does take some time for the miss to start.
I don't think it is a air in the fuel issue, I have replaced everything in the fuel system and there is no air bubbles in the plastic fuel lines.
I am going further and taking the injectors out and pulling the prechambers. I did see some bubbles around the prechamber ring on #5 when I had it running. I am also going to check the timing and see if the chain is stretched.
The oil drainback holes seem to be fine so that eliminates that possibility of the oil pooling around the rear valve .guide. I also noticed # 6 injector was not sealing well to the sealing washer for some reason. Going to clean everything up and reassemble.

Thanks Zeeman
05-17-2020, 12:00 PM
Find Reply
baldur Online
Fast

blue smoke and misfire means it's getting fuel but not able to ignite it. To get reliable ignition you need a working injector that atomises the fuel well, you need a hot pre chamber and you need good compression.
I have seen this with bent rods and leaking valves as well as damaged prechambers. I'm sure there's more scenarios that can cause it.
Baldur Gislason

05-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Website Find Reply
X Double Dot Offline
K26-2

yea I've been meaning to do a compression test, i just know it's going to cost me a bit to buy a tester with the right threads etc. when I had the pan off the cylinder walls all had good cross hatching, but that doesn't mean the rings (and valves) were actually sealing.

Let me know how your prechambers look, i've been suspicious about those as well but again have been holding off due to the tools etc that would be needed. That said I'd prefer to replace those over pulling the head.

I'm similar to you in that I've rebuilt and reshimmed the injectors, redone the fuel lines, replaced the glow plugs and still have the issue.
05-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Find Reply
X Double Dot Offline
K26-2

Did you find anything pulling the pre chambers? I've got tools on the way to do the same myself but was curious how it worked for you
05-29-2020, 11:40 AM
Find Reply
zeeman Online
Holset

X Double Dot Wrote:Did you find anything pulling the pre chambers?  I've got tools on the way to do the same myself but was curious how it worked for you
The prechambers were pretty dirty, and it seemed that one was not sealing completely. I did find one of the injectors was not operating correctly. I just had these injectors rebuilt by DBW LLC in Meridian Idaho and found one that had the needle sticking already after only 10 miles of driving. I dissembled the injector to find they never even lapped in any of the internal parts and the needle in the new nozzle was galled.

I called Pete at DBW LLC and asked if I could buy another nozzle and was told to send it back for repair. He provided a return form in which I had to pay almost $75.00 to have it sent back and checked. I had left the injector body loose so they could inspect it. When I received it back I checked it on my injector tester and it didn't pop off till 2500 psi. with a poor spray pattern. I went to take it a part and found it wasn't even torqued, and when I inspected it the same nozzle and needle was in it and it was worse then before. All they did was paint it and send it back.

I called Pete on it and he stated all you wanted me to do was clean and calibrate the injector and refused to do anything more, and claimed I must have gotten debris  in it. He then stated that they calibrate the injector to flow not pressure, so the pressure can vary. WTF What kind of a business is this.

Anyway I am repairing the injectors myself and I am waiting for the new delivery valves to arrive from the UK and will post an update then.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2020, 10:22 AM by zeeman.)
05-30-2020, 10:16 AM
Find Reply