STD Other Projects Power Steering Question - 1985 OM617

Power Steering Question - 1985 OM617

Power Steering Question - 1985 OM617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thomcat316
Naturally-aspirated

03-30-2020, 12:51 PM #1
The project is a swap into a 2000 Dakota.

I finally got the motor out of the 1985 300D, and can't seem to track down enough information to make a decision.

I had been thinking of using an MR2 Gen3 electric power steering pump, which I'm certain would work well with the 2000 Dakota steering rack.  Looking at the pump that comes with the OM617, and how maintainable it is, I'd really like to use the Mercedes pump.  It's a 65 bar Sperry-Vickers, and likely needs to be resealed.

The question I can't answer for lack of data and lack of personal experience is whether the pump and the rack are suited to each other - I don't want the steering effort to be either too high or too low.  If it's likely to be "close", is there a method for adjusting pressure and flow like there is for GM's Saginaw pumps?  If the flow is definitely likely to be high enough but the pressure may be wrong, does anyone know of an external pressure adjuster?
Thomcat316
03-30-2020, 12:51 PM #1

The project is a swap into a 2000 Dakota.

I finally got the motor out of the 1985 300D, and can't seem to track down enough information to make a decision.

I had been thinking of using an MR2 Gen3 electric power steering pump, which I'm certain would work well with the 2000 Dakota steering rack.  Looking at the pump that comes with the OM617, and how maintainable it is, I'd really like to use the Mercedes pump.  It's a 65 bar Sperry-Vickers, and likely needs to be resealed.

The question I can't answer for lack of data and lack of personal experience is whether the pump and the rack are suited to each other - I don't want the steering effort to be either too high or too low.  If it's likely to be "close", is there a method for adjusting pressure and flow like there is for GM's Saginaw pumps?  If the flow is definitely likely to be high enough but the pressure may be wrong, does anyone know of an external pressure adjuster?

zeeman
Holset

03-31-2020, 12:26 PM #2
(03-30-2020, 12:51 PM)Thomcat316 The project is a swap into a 2000 Dakota.

I believe the porting in the power steering pump is different for a worm and sector steering box and a rack and pinion.
zeeman
03-31-2020, 12:26 PM #2

(03-30-2020, 12:51 PM)Thomcat316 The project is a swap into a 2000 Dakota.

I believe the porting in the power steering pump is different for a worm and sector steering box and a rack and pinion.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average