STD Maintenance General '85 300SD 722.315 won't downshift on acceleration.

'85 300SD 722.315 won't downshift on acceleration.

'85 300SD 722.315 won't downshift on acceleration.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

dieselsmoke300d
To many things I say: Bah Humbug!

12-08-2019, 07:29 PM #1
I have an issue where my transmission won't downshift while driving. It will upshift normally, if not a little too quickly, then it won't downshift on acceleration or with kickdown. Any downshifting has to be done manually. Once I decelerate, it downshifts back to 1st normally. The kickdown switch tests good. I haven't tested the solenoid yet. Can't find any damage around the throttle linkages, cables, or 3-2 switches. Is it likely the solenoid that's the culprit. If i recall, the bowden only adjusts the rate of upshifting right?

Thanks!

Matt.

'85 300SD Turbo
'92 Subaru SVX
'83 Pontiac Firebird S/E
'88 Pontiac Firebird
dieselsmoke300d
12-08-2019, 07:29 PM #1

I have an issue where my transmission won't downshift while driving. It will upshift normally, if not a little too quickly, then it won't downshift on acceleration or with kickdown. Any downshifting has to be done manually. Once I decelerate, it downshifts back to 1st normally. The kickdown switch tests good. I haven't tested the solenoid yet. Can't find any damage around the throttle linkages, cables, or 3-2 switches. Is it likely the solenoid that's the culprit. If i recall, the bowden only adjusts the rate of upshifting right?

Thanks!

Matt.

'85 300SD Turbo
'92 Subaru SVX
'83 Pontiac Firebird S/E
'88 Pontiac Firebird

Petar
7.5mm M pump

12-09-2019, 12:31 PM #2
I don't know much about those transmissions but AFAIK the bowden cable controls the shift points, and the vacuum controls the firmness.
So a broken bowden cable would probably cause early upshift no downshift condition
Petar
12-09-2019, 12:31 PM #2

I don't know much about those transmissions but AFAIK the bowden cable controls the shift points, and the vacuum controls the firmness.
So a broken bowden cable would probably cause early upshift no downshift condition

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average