STD Tuning Engine Best alternator for om606

Best alternator for om606

Best alternator for om606

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JoeB
TA 0301

12-15-2019, 12:22 AM #2
Depends on whether or not you have molested the bracket / mount and what vehicle you are putting it in. OE is Bosch and they are plenty powerful enough, provided it's the original unit. Diodes are heavy duty, bearings should ALWAYS be replaced if unknown, and reg pack/brushes also. On w210 the pulley is a clutch type which requires special splined tool to remove. get rid of it - it's a POS and use standard non clutch type - w124 style.

depending on market the version is internal (caged) or external fan(front) and 115-120A.
I rebuild these units a lot and all they ever need is bearings and a slight skim on the commutator, new brushes. Hardly ever does the stator need replacing or diodes - only when the unit has been mega-abused from stupid high mileage and zero servicing and fuckwits that pressure wash the engine bay.

The "best" units in my experience are the older external fan style, They seem to suffer less damage and are usually much cleaner internally, as opposed to the later cage style castings.

I would not use a valeo unit if my life depended on it.

If you want to go "offroad" and highmount your alternator, then Dominic in the UK who makes the bracket. contact him info at k2designandfabrication dot co dot uk

The last option available is the super-massive Leece-neville / prestolite 160-320A J180 mount (they also have a pad mount version, but you'll need to fab a plate style bracket, like the ac compressor style)
You can get these in self-exciting versions as well as 'conventional' types, and they are more or less a fully sealed unit (electrically) and very robust. If you want to weld, they also have direct AC from the stator to posts where you can attach external rectifiers and beef up the current handling to 400A with external reg/rec setups.

If you want to know more about that, Alternatorman over in the US sells the external reg/rec units as an assembly and while most work with the delco style alternators, they can be used on any alternator - you just need to know what you are doing.
JoeB
12-15-2019, 12:22 AM #2

Depends on whether or not you have molested the bracket / mount and what vehicle you are putting it in. OE is Bosch and they are plenty powerful enough, provided it's the original unit. Diodes are heavy duty, bearings should ALWAYS be replaced if unknown, and reg pack/brushes also. On w210 the pulley is a clutch type which requires special splined tool to remove. get rid of it - it's a POS and use standard non clutch type - w124 style.

depending on market the version is internal (caged) or external fan(front) and 115-120A.
I rebuild these units a lot and all they ever need is bearings and a slight skim on the commutator, new brushes. Hardly ever does the stator need replacing or diodes - only when the unit has been mega-abused from stupid high mileage and zero servicing and fuckwits that pressure wash the engine bay.

The "best" units in my experience are the older external fan style, They seem to suffer less damage and are usually much cleaner internally, as opposed to the later cage style castings.

I would not use a valeo unit if my life depended on it.

If you want to go "offroad" and highmount your alternator, then Dominic in the UK who makes the bracket. contact him info at k2designandfabrication dot co dot uk

The last option available is the super-massive Leece-neville / prestolite 160-320A J180 mount (they also have a pad mount version, but you'll need to fab a plate style bracket, like the ac compressor style)
You can get these in self-exciting versions as well as 'conventional' types, and they are more or less a fully sealed unit (electrically) and very robust. If you want to weld, they also have direct AC from the stator to posts where you can attach external rectifiers and beef up the current handling to 400A with external reg/rec setups.

If you want to know more about that, Alternatorman over in the US sells the external reg/rec units as an assembly and while most work with the delco style alternators, they can be used on any alternator - you just need to know what you are doing.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Best alternator for om606 - by Arcadeus - 11-09-2019, 02:17 PM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by JoeB - 12-15-2019, 12:22 AM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by zeeman - 12-15-2019, 12:46 PM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by baldur - 12-16-2019, 11:13 AM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by zeeman - 12-20-2019, 11:28 AM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by AlanMcR - 12-15-2019, 06:42 PM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by jav1 - 12-16-2019, 10:35 AM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by barrote - 12-16-2019, 11:13 AM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by zeeman - 12-20-2019, 11:39 AM
RE: Best alternator for om606 - by AlanMcR - 12-16-2019, 02:20 PM