STD Other Non MBZ Diesel Volunteer project

Volunteer project

Volunteer project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-10-2009, 02:12 AM #1
I've started volunteering with the Platte Valley Trolley.
http://www.denvertrolley.org/

For the first day, I adjusted the trolley's brakes and aided with the Broncos shuttle operations to get the feel of how it works.
The trolley is actually a 1-off prototype with its own genset, no overhead wires needed. It was made to tour the world and get cities to buy their trolleys.
The end of the Broncos game was the really exciting part, the drunks. One guy was so pissed off that he had to buy a ticket that he put a bunch of rocks on the rails and tossed a few handfuls at us. We stopped to make him leave the tracks and he ended up clocking one of the guys. Unfortunately, after we caught him he managed to wiggle out of his coat and run like a little bitch.

They also have a small yard locomotive powered by a 1943 Cummins HB-1, great-grandfather of the Big Cam NTC and N14 engines. The last time it ran was at a "government hazmat facility" in St. Louis 10 years ago. At this point we have to pull the heads and determine if its economically salvageable or if we should just repower with a more modern engine.

[Image: R1.jpg][Image: R2.jpg]
[Image: L1.jpg][Image: L2.jpg]
This post was last modified: 11-10-2009, 02:33 AM by ForcedInduction.
Attached Files
Image(s)

ForcedInduction
11-10-2009, 02:12 AM #1

I've started volunteering with the Platte Valley Trolley.
http://www.denvertrolley.org/

For the first day, I adjusted the trolley's brakes and aided with the Broncos shuttle operations to get the feel of how it works.
The trolley is actually a 1-off prototype with its own genset, no overhead wires needed. It was made to tour the world and get cities to buy their trolleys.
The end of the Broncos game was the really exciting part, the drunks. One guy was so pissed off that he had to buy a ticket that he put a bunch of rocks on the rails and tossed a few handfuls at us. We stopped to make him leave the tracks and he ended up clocking one of the guys. Unfortunately, after we caught him he managed to wiggle out of his coat and run like a little bitch.

They also have a small yard locomotive powered by a 1943 Cummins HB-1, great-grandfather of the Big Cam NTC and N14 engines. The last time it ran was at a "government hazmat facility" in St. Louis 10 years ago. At this point we have to pull the heads and determine if its economically salvageable or if we should just repower with a more modern engine.

[Image: R1.jpg][Image: R2.jpg]
[Image: L1.jpg][Image: L2.jpg]

Attached Files
Image(s)

E300TSC
Turbo-Supercharged

03-04-2010, 03:27 PM #2
That's very cool! We have a steam/Diesel resto facility about 2 hours away. I would totally volunteer there if it were closer.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.
E300TSC
03-04-2010, 03:27 PM #2

That's very cool! We have a steam/Diesel resto facility about 2 hours away. I would totally volunteer there if it were closer.

1998 MB E300 - 194,000 miles. Current/future mods: 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 Turbo feeding Eaton M90 supercharger through custom fabbed intake system. Aeroturbine muffler, scratch-built 4" stainless exhaust. EGR eliminated, ECM recalibrated, modified rack position feedback circuit. Porterfield RS brake pads, Bilstein sport shocks, VDO EGT, oil and boost gauges.

2000 Ford F250 - 150,000 miles. Current/future mods: DP Tuner 3 map chip, scratch-built high flow intake, high output IDM, open circuit fuel system, ball bearing turbo, South Bend full metal clutch, slotted and drilled rotors. Autometer Sport Comp EGT and boost gauges.

ForcedInduction
Banned

03-06-2010, 06:52 AM #3
The budget's tough. They still don't know when they want to open up the engine.
ForcedInduction
03-06-2010, 06:52 AM #3

The budget's tough. They still don't know when they want to open up the engine.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average