STD Tuning Engine Where should I start? OM603, OM606 for good torque, reliability and fuel economy.

Where should I start? OM603, OM606 for good torque, reliability and fuel economy.

Where should I start? OM603, OM606 for good torque, reliability and fuel economy.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

flyer
Naturally-aspirated

06-23-2019, 02:30 AM #1
Hi, I'm in the US so OM606 donors are a bit rare but I want to tow with an imported military G Wagen and do it cheap.

I don't think I need more than 250 hp and I would rather it didn't belch black smoke unless I'm going full throttle, then I would tolerate some.

It seems like the 722.6 transmission is fairly common over here and I imagine it could be built to handle lots of torque.

That's probably more durable than a manual transmission behind a modified engine, also cheap and plentiful due to Chrysler.

One other thing, I want the vehicle to be able to survive an apocalypse, including EMP.  A mechanical pump OM606 (or OM603) should take care of the engine but what can I do to control a 722.6 that won't fry in an EMP attack?

Another good feature to calm my paranoia is the ability to run off of bio-diesel or cooking oil.  What should I do to make that possible?

Lastly, I've seen some OM606 swaps that look very factory and clean.  What makes the best donor?  What do you have to buy to finish it off cleanly?

The plan is to make a vehicle that can tow a 2,000+ lb trailer like it's nothing, drive like a modern powerful SUV (7-8 second 0-60 mph) and survive anything that gets thrown at it.

I don't think I need 600 up so hopefully I can do it on the cheap and integrate it in to the military 4wd system.
flyer
06-23-2019, 02:30 AM #1

Hi, I'm in the US so OM606 donors are a bit rare but I want to tow with an imported military G Wagen and do it cheap.

I don't think I need more than 250 hp and I would rather it didn't belch black smoke unless I'm going full throttle, then I would tolerate some.

It seems like the 722.6 transmission is fairly common over here and I imagine it could be built to handle lots of torque.

That's probably more durable than a manual transmission behind a modified engine, also cheap and plentiful due to Chrysler.

One other thing, I want the vehicle to be able to survive an apocalypse, including EMP.  A mechanical pump OM606 (or OM603) should take care of the engine but what can I do to control a 722.6 that won't fry in an EMP attack?

Another good feature to calm my paranoia is the ability to run off of bio-diesel or cooking oil.  What should I do to make that possible?

Lastly, I've seen some OM606 swaps that look very factory and clean.  What makes the best donor?  What do you have to buy to finish it off cleanly?

The plan is to make a vehicle that can tow a 2,000+ lb trailer like it's nothing, drive like a modern powerful SUV (7-8 second 0-60 mph) and survive anything that gets thrown at it.

I don't think I need 600 up so hopefully I can do it on the cheap and integrate it in to the military 4wd system.

baldur
Fast

06-23-2019, 07:03 AM #2
The 722.6 is stuck in a single gear if it loses electronic control so it will be able to drive but at reduced performance.
You will need a custom built mechanical pump to make more than 150 horsepower, with upgraded pump elements. The standard electronic pump will make that power with no modifications to the pump itself.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-23-2019, 07:03 AM #2

The 722.6 is stuck in a single gear if it loses electronic control so it will be able to drive but at reduced performance.
You will need a custom built mechanical pump to make more than 150 horsepower, with upgraded pump elements. The standard electronic pump will make that power with no modifications to the pump itself.

Baldur Gislason

flyer
Naturally-aspirated

06-23-2019, 01:35 PM #3
I have seen that people are using stand alone electronics to shift a 722.6 and I was assuming that dead electronics would probably disable the transmission.

Has anyone done something like a full manual push button control that's all switches and relays instead of a microcontroller? I would love to carry something like that as a spare.

I forgot to ask earlier, is there any difficulty putting a RWD 722.6 in a G Wagen with it's transfer case?

Hopefully I can get a 90's G Wagen that has more similarly with the G500 model that I can find some used parts for. I would like to do some interior upgrades and I hope wrecked G500s would be good for drivetrain parts.

I understand that a big bore injection pump would be needed and maybe a turbo swap. Does anyone have a comparison of the torque characteristics of stock and mild upgrade turbos on an OM606?

Is there any torque level where the bottom end becomes the weak link in the engine?

I would like to use as many stock parts as possible and just keep the power low enough to be reliable. That will guide my choices for the parts I do need to change out.
flyer
06-23-2019, 01:35 PM #3

I have seen that people are using stand alone electronics to shift a 722.6 and I was assuming that dead electronics would probably disable the transmission.

Has anyone done something like a full manual push button control that's all switches and relays instead of a microcontroller? I would love to carry something like that as a spare.

I forgot to ask earlier, is there any difficulty putting a RWD 722.6 in a G Wagen with it's transfer case?

Hopefully I can get a 90's G Wagen that has more similarly with the G500 model that I can find some used parts for. I would like to do some interior upgrades and I hope wrecked G500s would be good for drivetrain parts.

I understand that a big bore injection pump would be needed and maybe a turbo swap. Does anyone have a comparison of the torque characteristics of stock and mild upgrade turbos on an OM606?

Is there any torque level where the bottom end becomes the weak link in the engine?

I would like to use as many stock parts as possible and just keep the power low enough to be reliable. That will guide my choices for the parts I do need to change out.

barrote
Superturbo

06-24-2019, 03:21 AM #4
Buy a 6 bt and use a manual trans...
With a 606 and a 722 trans u wont be able to fullfil your specs.
A 606 is a 3 liter diesel made for automotive purposes not toe trucks. Despite it can develop high HP is always in high RPM . So low end is not possible.
Big bore pumps do not increase low end that is done with a small bore.
.722 trans are electrohydraulic , so EMP will always kill the controller and probably solenoid valves. So that is not a option.
716 manual GB from w204 fill the requirements.
Manual pump i can do it for u, big bore with no electrics at all.
Vegetable oils in due time are not good for diesels like MB engines. Other alternative fuels like wmo also afect a 606 deeply, but it run well on both.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
06-24-2019, 03:21 AM #4

Buy a 6 bt and use a manual trans...
With a 606 and a 722 trans u wont be able to fullfil your specs.
A 606 is a 3 liter diesel made for automotive purposes not toe trucks. Despite it can develop high HP is always in high RPM . So low end is not possible.
Big bore pumps do not increase low end that is done with a small bore.
.722 trans are electrohydraulic , so EMP will always kill the controller and probably solenoid valves. So that is not a option.
716 manual GB from w204 fill the requirements.
Manual pump i can do it for u, big bore with no electrics at all.
Vegetable oils in due time are not good for diesels like MB engines. Other alternative fuels like wmo also afect a 606 deeply, but it run well on both.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

baldur
Fast

06-24-2019, 02:18 PM #5
(06-23-2019, 01:35 PM)flyer I have seen that people are using stand alone electronics to shift a 722.6 and I was assuming that dead electronics would probably disable the transmission.

Has anyone done something like a full manual push button control that's all switches and relays instead of a microcontroller?  I would love to carry something like that as a spare.

Hopefully I can get a 90's G Wagen that has more similarly with the G500 model that I can find some used parts for.  I would like to do some interior upgrades and I hope wrecked G500s would be good for drivetrain parts.

I understand that a big bore injection pump would be needed and maybe a turbo swap.  Does anyone have a comparison of the torque characteristics of stock and mild upgrade turbos on an OM606?

I would like to use as many stock parts as possible and just keep the power low enough to be reliable.  That will guide my choices for the parts I do need to change out.

The 722.6 is complicated enough that there's no way you'll shift it using relays. The solenoids must be powered in a sequence to complete a shift.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-24-2019, 02:18 PM #5

(06-23-2019, 01:35 PM)flyer I have seen that people are using stand alone electronics to shift a 722.6 and I was assuming that dead electronics would probably disable the transmission.

Has anyone done something like a full manual push button control that's all switches and relays instead of a microcontroller?  I would love to carry something like that as a spare.

Hopefully I can get a 90's G Wagen that has more similarly with the G500 model that I can find some used parts for.  I would like to do some interior upgrades and I hope wrecked G500s would be good for drivetrain parts.

I understand that a big bore injection pump would be needed and maybe a turbo swap.  Does anyone have a comparison of the torque characteristics of stock and mild upgrade turbos on an OM606?

I would like to use as many stock parts as possible and just keep the power low enough to be reliable.  That will guide my choices for the parts I do need to change out.

The 722.6 is complicated enough that there's no way you'll shift it using relays. The solenoids must be powered in a sequence to complete a shift.

Baldur Gislason

dieseltorque
K26-2

06-24-2019, 10:53 PM #6
Then 722.3 trans might be good enough for your needs Smile
dieseltorque
06-24-2019, 10:53 PM #6

Then 722.3 trans might be good enough for your needs Smile

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-25-2019, 10:59 AM #7
Use the 722.6 and carry a spare TCU, it is quite small. If you are really EMP-paranoid, wrap the spare in foil.
The 722.6 is very reliable and the PRN2 failure mode will get you out of anywhere (in a G with low range).
AlanMcR
06-25-2019, 10:59 AM #7

Use the 722.6 and carry a spare TCU, it is quite small. If you are really EMP-paranoid, wrap the spare in foil.
The 722.6 is very reliable and the PRN2 failure mode will get you out of anywhere (in a G with low range).

84 GTI
Naturally-aspirated

06-26-2019, 08:54 AM #8
Have you considered using the OM648 paired with the 722.6?
84 GTI
06-26-2019, 08:54 AM #8

Have you considered using the OM648 paired with the 722.6?

84 GTI
Naturally-aspirated

06-26-2019, 08:55 AM #9
(06-26-2019, 08:54 AM)84 GTI Have you considered using an OM648 paired with the 722.6?
84 GTI
06-26-2019, 08:55 AM #9

(06-26-2019, 08:54 AM)84 GTI Have you considered using an OM648 paired with the 722.6?

AlanMcR
mind - blown

06-26-2019, 10:55 AM #10
(06-26-2019, 08:54 AM)84 GTI Have you considered using the OM648 paired with the 722.6?

Since he's wants the G to move even if the electronics fail, I would say that the OM648 is a poor choice for him. 
Personally, I'd love to switch to the OM648, but I need more information on how to simplify the modules required to make it run.  Is there an equivalent of ImmoDelete for this engine?
AlanMcR
06-26-2019, 10:55 AM #10

(06-26-2019, 08:54 AM)84 GTI Have you considered using the OM648 paired with the 722.6?

Since he's wants the G to move even if the electronics fail, I would say that the OM648 is a poor choice for him. 
Personally, I'd love to switch to the OM648, but I need more information on how to simplify the modules required to make it run.  Is there an equivalent of ImmoDelete for this engine?

barrote
Superturbo

06-27-2019, 04:03 AM #11
648 is a comon rail engine... in case u guys dont know ...
But there are comon rail engines with mech injection... like MB OM501...

FD,