STD Tuning Engine Easier to swap transmissions or motors?

Easier to swap transmissions or motors?

Easier to swap transmissions or motors?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-08-2009, 11:58 PM #1
I've talked to my boss and I'm going to be looking for a parts 300D with a running turbo motor in it. My 240D isn't exactly cherry so I figure I'm going to be getting roughly the same quality car or better, and I'm not scared to swap parts so I was wondering if, in the opinions of those that have done both, which is easier: to convert a 300D to manual or a 240D to OM617a power? I'm thinking the former, no engine hoist required. Barring problems with out of date tags and back fees I'm open to either solution; otherwise I'll be converting the 240.

I was just looking at what my car needs, and frankly I'm better off getting the partsmobile and seeing what I can use first - pretty easy to get to 500 bucks when your car needs as much as mine does.
CID Vicious
11-08-2009, 11:58 PM #1

I've talked to my boss and I'm going to be looking for a parts 300D with a running turbo motor in it. My 240D isn't exactly cherry so I figure I'm going to be getting roughly the same quality car or better, and I'm not scared to swap parts so I was wondering if, in the opinions of those that have done both, which is easier: to convert a 300D to manual or a 240D to OM617a power? I'm thinking the former, no engine hoist required. Barring problems with out of date tags and back fees I'm open to either solution; otherwise I'll be converting the 240.

I was just looking at what my car needs, and frankly I'm better off getting the partsmobile and seeing what I can use first - pretty easy to get to 500 bucks when your car needs as much as mine does.

ForcedInduction
Banned

11-09-2009, 12:17 AM #2
300D to manual. You'll avoid the cooling system, A/C, differential, engine R&R and a few other piddly things.

I believe removing a 90lb transmission and replacing it with a 50lbs one is a little easier than messing with a 700lb engine too. Big Grin
ForcedInduction
11-09-2009, 12:17 AM #2

300D to manual. You'll avoid the cooling system, A/C, differential, engine R&R and a few other piddly things.

I believe removing a 90lb transmission and replacing it with a 50lbs one is a little easier than messing with a 700lb engine too. Big Grin

CID Vicious
Unregistered

11-09-2009, 02:11 AM #3
Kind of figured...well, I hope I can find a suitable candidate then.

I might just try and suck it up for a little while longer, just go and buy a decent 300D instead of a 'parts special'...the 240 needs paint, and for the time and money I'd spend I'd be better off waiting for a nice solid paintjob to roll around. Now that the 240D is tuned up it's fun to drive anyway, not fast by any means but still less than boring.
CID Vicious
11-09-2009, 02:11 AM #3

Kind of figured...well, I hope I can find a suitable candidate then.

I might just try and suck it up for a little while longer, just go and buy a decent 300D instead of a 'parts special'...the 240 needs paint, and for the time and money I'd spend I'd be better off waiting for a nice solid paintjob to roll around. Now that the 240D is tuned up it's fun to drive anyway, not fast by any means but still less than boring.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average