STD Tuning Engine M pump DIY calibration

M pump DIY calibration

M pump DIY calibration

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

engineengineer
Naturally-aspirated

03-10-2019, 11:44 AM #1
Hi, I have got an om606 crudely fitted in a speed boat with 5.5mm elements. I wish to change the elements for 6mm ones from an edc pump.
 I am aware that the pump should be calibrated for proper phasing etc, but wandered if I was to install elements and balance best I could on a homemade flow bench (I believe by adjustment on the rack?) whether the engine is likely to run smooth enough. It does not have to run super smooth. 
Has anyone on here rebuilt their own M pump?
Thanks, Jack
engineengineer
03-10-2019, 11:44 AM #1

Hi, I have got an om606 crudely fitted in a speed boat with 5.5mm elements. I wish to change the elements for 6mm ones from an edc pump.
 I am aware that the pump should be calibrated for proper phasing etc, but wandered if I was to install elements and balance best I could on a homemade flow bench (I believe by adjustment on the rack?) whether the engine is likely to run smooth enough. It does not have to run super smooth. 
Has anyone on here rebuilt their own M pump?
Thanks, Jack

R-3350
Dreaming of compounds

03-10-2019, 12:27 PM #2
the issue with rough calibrations on the pump isn't just rough running it can cause some harmful vibrations in the engine. for example if one cylinder fires weakly then the next fires much stronger it induces a large torsional flex in the crank. this might be ok in a car for a while but since boats tend to run closer to wide open for extended times it might cause some issues.

85 300D om617: 8mm M pump 175cc 5200rpm, holset he221w @ 30psi, large A2W ic, compounds on the way.
R-3350
03-10-2019, 12:27 PM #2

the issue with rough calibrations on the pump isn't just rough running it can cause some harmful vibrations in the engine. for example if one cylinder fires weakly then the next fires much stronger it induces a large torsional flex in the crank. this might be ok in a car for a while but since boats tend to run closer to wide open for extended times it might cause some issues.

85 300D om617: 8mm M pump 175cc 5200rpm, holset he221w @ 30psi, large A2W ic, compounds on the way.

engineengineer
Naturally-aspirated

03-10-2019, 01:04 PM #3
(03-10-2019, 12:27 PM)R-3350 the issue with rough calibrations on the pump isn't just rough running it can cause some harmful vibrations in the engine. for example if one cylinder fires weakly then the next fires much stronger it induces a large torsional flex in the crank. this might be ok in a car for a while but since boats tend to run closer to wide open for extended times it might cause some issues.
Thanks, what are the other adjustments other than balncing element output (which I assume can be done fairly easily by adjusting rack)?
engineengineer
03-10-2019, 01:04 PM #3

(03-10-2019, 12:27 PM)R-3350 the issue with rough calibrations on the pump isn't just rough running it can cause some harmful vibrations in the engine. for example if one cylinder fires weakly then the next fires much stronger it induces a large torsional flex in the crank. this might be ok in a car for a while but since boats tend to run closer to wide open for extended times it might cause some issues.
Thanks, what are the other adjustments other than balncing element output (which I assume can be done fairly easily by adjusting rack)?

Petar
7.5mm M pump

03-10-2019, 02:00 PM #4
Phasing the element start of delivery (Start of delivery spaced 60 pump degrees on a 6 cylinder),done with different diameter cam rollers AFAIK.
After that adjusting the governor so it starts and idles, maximum rpm shouldn't be affected and does not need to be adjusted i think  Huh
This post was last modified: 03-10-2019, 02:01 PM by Petar.
Petar
03-10-2019, 02:00 PM #4

Phasing the element start of delivery (Start of delivery spaced 60 pump degrees on a 6 cylinder),done with different diameter cam rollers AFAIK.
After that adjusting the governor so it starts and idles, maximum rpm shouldn't be affected and does not need to be adjusted i think  Huh

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average