STD Tuning Engine How to datalog Fuel Injection Quantity on OM648?

How to datalog Fuel Injection Quantity on OM648?

How to datalog Fuel Injection Quantity on OM648?

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Drewkeen
Naturally-aspirated

10-10-2018, 11:36 PM #1
What are people using on here to do datalogs on this engine for tuning purposes?

I can log thigns like boost, RPM, etc. but I do not know of any good software to log requested and actual fuel quantity injected.
Drewkeen
10-10-2018, 11:36 PM #1

What are people using on here to do datalogs on this engine for tuning purposes?

I can log thigns like boost, RPM, etc. but I do not know of any good software to log requested and actual fuel quantity injected.

Drewkeen
Naturally-aspirated

10-18-2018, 11:07 AM #2
I know most people here use older mechanical pumps.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I know there has to be someone out there that knows of a good program to do this.
Drewkeen
10-18-2018, 11:07 AM #2

I know most people here use older mechanical pumps.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I know there has to be someone out there that knows of a good program to do this.

Petar
7.5mm M pump

10-18-2018, 04:53 PM #3
What you would need is a rack position vs injected quantity per stroke map, and then measure the rack position and engine speed, later mechanical injection pumps seem to already have rack position sensors. They are HDK inductive sensors AFAIK, not easy to interface at all
Petar
10-18-2018, 04:53 PM #3

What you would need is a rack position vs injected quantity per stroke map, and then measure the rack position and engine speed, later mechanical injection pumps seem to already have rack position sensors. They are HDK inductive sensors AFAIK, not easy to interface at all

baldur
Fast

10-18-2018, 09:53 PM #4
OM648 has no rack.
You need an OBD2 tool, maybe Torque on Android can do the job, maybe you need something that has Mercedes specific parameters like Autel or Launch.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

baldur
10-18-2018, 09:53 PM #4

OM648 has no rack.
You need an OBD2 tool, maybe Torque on Android can do the job, maybe you need something that has Mercedes specific parameters like Autel or Launch.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

Petar
7.5mm M pump

10-19-2018, 07:22 AM #5
Sorry, I completely missed the point. I thought he was talking about 603-606 mechanical engines
Petar
10-19-2018, 07:22 AM #5

Sorry, I completely missed the point. I thought he was talking about 603-606 mechanical engines

Drewkeen
Naturally-aspirated

11-18-2018, 10:26 PM #6
I tried torque and it seemed to have that PID, but it would not give any data for it in my car.

I'll do a bit of research on Autel and Launch. Not familiar with those.

Thanks for the tips, anyone else have any recommendations? I guess this is part of the reason people mod the BMW 335d more than these engines.
Drewkeen
11-18-2018, 10:26 PM #6

I tried torque and it seemed to have that PID, but it would not give any data for it in my car.

I'll do a bit of research on Autel and Launch. Not familiar with those.

Thanks for the tips, anyone else have any recommendations? I guess this is part of the reason people mod the BMW 335d more than these engines.

whipplem104
Holset

11-18-2018, 10:44 PM #7
There is what looks like a fuel injection quantity on the CAN bus. But I cannot figure out the conversion on this one. I was trying to compare to the sds machine injection quantity and come up with a conversion. But I could not figure it out. I figure it has to be a volume of some kind.
whipplem104
11-18-2018, 10:44 PM #7

There is what looks like a fuel injection quantity on the CAN bus. But I cannot figure out the conversion on this one. I was trying to compare to the sds machine injection quantity and come up with a conversion. But I could not figure it out. I figure it has to be a volume of some kind.

atypicalguy
Holset

11-29-2018, 09:53 AM #8
(11-18-2018, 10:44 PM)whipplem104 There is what looks like a fuel injection quantity on the CAN bus. But I cannot figure out the conversion on this one. I was trying to compare to the sds machine injection quantity and come up with a conversion. But I could not figure it out. I figure it has to be a volume of some kind.

Hmmm. Well, run a small, flexible line out to a fuel source on a balance, let it run for awhile at a specified rpm, and see how much goes in. I should think it would be measurable after 5 or 10 minutes at idle. Assuming you have good rpm data, it could be possible to get a conversion factor to the CAN data, which could then be used to calculate volumes at other rpms.

These blacksmoke guys would also have to know how much fuel they are dumping in.
atypicalguy
11-29-2018, 09:53 AM #8

(11-18-2018, 10:44 PM)whipplem104 There is what looks like a fuel injection quantity on the CAN bus. But I cannot figure out the conversion on this one. I was trying to compare to the sds machine injection quantity and come up with a conversion. But I could not figure it out. I figure it has to be a volume of some kind.

Hmmm. Well, run a small, flexible line out to a fuel source on a balance, let it run for awhile at a specified rpm, and see how much goes in. I should think it would be measurable after 5 or 10 minutes at idle. Assuming you have good rpm data, it could be possible to get a conversion factor to the CAN data, which could then be used to calculate volumes at other rpms.

These blacksmoke guys would also have to know how much fuel they are dumping in.

tuikku
GT2256V

12-25-2018, 02:35 PM #9
(11-29-2018, 09:53 AM)atypicalguy

No, they don't need to, it is enough that I know it, and it is ~220mm^3/stroke max.
That gives  ~670-690hp/5500-6000rpm.
Rpm max is 6500.
tuikku
12-25-2018, 02:35 PM #9

No, they don't need to, it is enough that I know it, and it is ~220mm^3/stroke max.
Rpm max is 6500.

atypicalguy
Holset

12-27-2018, 01:28 PM #10
(12-25-2018, 02:35 PM)tuikku

Rpm max is 6500.

Well OK thank you. They must have low compression pistons in that thing to cram enough air in without crazy peak cylinder pressures...

But I was kind of hoping you could tell the original poster where to find the fuel quantity in the data stream :-)
atypicalguy
12-27-2018, 01:28 PM #10

Rpm max is 6500.

Well OK thank you. They must have low compression pistons in that thing to cram enough air in without crazy peak cylinder pressures...

But I was kind of hoping you could tell the original poster where to find the fuel quantity in the data stream :-)

Drewkeen
Naturally-aspirated

01-18-2019, 12:57 PM #11
Is there an easy/known conversion factor for the SDS info?
Drewkeen
01-18-2019, 12:57 PM #11

Is there an easy/known conversion factor for the SDS info?

Drewkeen
Naturally-aspirated

01-18-2019, 01:01 PM #12

Rpm max is 6500.

(12-27-2018, 01:28 PM)atypicalguy
(11-29-2018, 09:53 AM)atypicalguy Hmmm. Well, run a small, flexible line out to a fuel source on a balance, let it run for awhile at a specified rpm, and see how much goes in. I should think it would be measurable after 5 or 10 minutes at idle. Assuming you have good rpm data, it could be possible to get a conversion factor to the CAN data, which could then be used to calculate volumes at other rpms.

Rpm max is 6500.

Is 6500 RPM done with stock rods and crank? I believe their videos mentioned having lower compression pistons and a block girdle. I have also been watching their newest videos of the engine teardown.

How do you calculate the Injection Quantity - are you just gathering that based on the power production and efficiency of the engine based on stock fuel flow and HP?

Its awesome to see them really pushing the limits with this engine. I would love to work with a tuner that understood these as there seems to be demand to mod these but only a few people seem to understand them well enough to do the tuning for higher power levels.
Drewkeen
01-18-2019, 01:01 PM #12

Rpm max is 6500.

(12-27-2018, 01:28 PM)atypicalguy
(11-29-2018, 09:53 AM)atypicalguy Hmmm. Well, run a small, flexible line out to a fuel source on a balance, let it run for awhile at a specified rpm, and see how much goes in. I should think it would be measurable after 5 or 10 minutes at idle. Assuming you have good rpm data, it could be possible to get a conversion factor to the CAN data, which could then be used to calculate volumes at other rpms.

Rpm max is 6500.

Is 6500 RPM done with stock rods and crank? I believe their videos mentioned having lower compression pistons and a block girdle. I have also been watching their newest videos of the engine teardown.

How do you calculate the Injection Quantity - are you just gathering that based on the power production and efficiency of the engine based on stock fuel flow and HP?

Its awesome to see them really pushing the limits with this engine. I would love to work with a tuner that understood these as there seems to be demand to mod these but only a few people seem to understand them well enough to do the tuning for higher power levels.

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average