STD Other Projects Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap

Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap

Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

skrubis
Naturally-aspirated

11-10-2018, 11:31 AM #5
For the past week I have been putting the engine together. Working on the turbo oil piping.

blocked off the om606 stock oil dipstick hole with an aluminum plug.
[Image: 9uWpzM5.jpg]
Obviously, the adapter was made for the stock om606 to ax15. Given that the ax15 is used mostly in various solid axle jeeps- I don't see a way the stock oil pan can be fitted in there without heavy mods to the pump pick up and the sump location. It's risky with all the possible warping issues. I suppose most if not all of the swaps will utilize the om648 oil pan, so the adapter should have those holes in it as well to truly claim that this is a bolt on adapter. Overall the adapter kit leaves a bit bitter taste in the mouth and I now feel a bit ripped off- it's just a prototype the dude has sold me. The fasteners were shit, the starter did not fit, I had to mill out om648 pattern and I only found out this week that I have to modify the flywheel and flywheel spacer assembly, as there was no way it could accept the stock sachs 4.0 clutch as stated in the manual. The support is bad and the product is unfinished. I hope that the fact that I had to modify the flywheel has not messed with the initial balancing I paid for.

You can see the new om648 holes in the image below, marked with green paint.
[Image: 41DX2jJ.jpg]
Here is the adapter already with the om648 holes milled out.
The previously grinder ground out starter clearance has been reamed off with a mill as well to make it look a bit more civilized.

[Image: 4Hc1IrH.jpg]

The stock clutch that is allegedly supposed to fit on the custom flywheel would not fit for two reasons:
the clutch disc crank side spline engaging part did not have enough clearance to fit the disc.
The Sachs clutch springs would be touching the bolts. The flywheel had to have the center surface turned down 6mm to account for the clutch fitment.
You can see the center section now being lower in the image below.
[Image: cPzzuyB.jpg]
[Image: Ie7fVpX.jpg]

I did not want to fit the flywheel with the 8.8 rated bolts supplied with the kit. I tried buying M10-1.0x80mm bolts, but no one had them in stock.
12.10 rated bolts were turned down to my requirements while swapping the outer hex to inner for torquing the bolts down.
[Image: KdwLO3X.jpg]
The clutch was finally installed with all of the previously noticed kinks worked out.
[Image: TuK3EmL.jpg]
The engine going in for the last fitting:
[Image: wSXzy5y.jpg?1]

After a few hours of moving everything back and forth we finally found the perfect location using the gearbox mount under no load as a reference.
Tacked the mounts down and did the final welds. The engine sits in a slight incline, which will be further reduced when I'll install the transfer case slip yoke eliminator and remove the current 3mm belly skid mount drop.

[Image: h2VnMK9.jpg]
[Image: nOt4vx5.jpg]

Overall I should have finished my own adapter, given that this one was not a direct bolt on thing and had invested the money spent in other parts.
If anyone ever needs the files for the mounts  or  for my unfinished adapter with some guidance on how to finish it- let me know.

I am now pausing the project for about 2-4 weeks for a work trip to China. Maybe longer, who knows.
Waiting for a replacement body harness from a donor in non-rust-belt US and automotive wiring supplies to come in from China.
skrubis
11-10-2018, 11:31 AM #5

For the past week I have been putting the engine together. Working on the turbo oil piping.

blocked off the om606 stock oil dipstick hole with an aluminum plug.
[Image: 9uWpzM5.jpg]
Obviously, the adapter was made for the stock om606 to ax15. Given that the ax15 is used mostly in various solid axle jeeps- I don't see a way the stock oil pan can be fitted in there without heavy mods to the pump pick up and the sump location. It's risky with all the possible warping issues. I suppose most if not all of the swaps will utilize the om648 oil pan, so the adapter should have those holes in it as well to truly claim that this is a bolt on adapter. Overall the adapter kit leaves a bit bitter taste in the mouth and I now feel a bit ripped off- it's just a prototype the dude has sold me. The fasteners were shit, the starter did not fit, I had to mill out om648 pattern and I only found out this week that I have to modify the flywheel and flywheel spacer assembly, as there was no way it could accept the stock sachs 4.0 clutch as stated in the manual. The support is bad and the product is unfinished. I hope that the fact that I had to modify the flywheel has not messed with the initial balancing I paid for.

You can see the new om648 holes in the image below, marked with green paint.
[Image: 41DX2jJ.jpg]
Here is the adapter already with the om648 holes milled out.
The previously grinder ground out starter clearance has been reamed off with a mill as well to make it look a bit more civilized.

[Image: 4Hc1IrH.jpg]

The stock clutch that is allegedly supposed to fit on the custom flywheel would not fit for two reasons:
the clutch disc crank side spline engaging part did not have enough clearance to fit the disc.
The Sachs clutch springs would be touching the bolts. The flywheel had to have the center surface turned down 6mm to account for the clutch fitment.
You can see the center section now being lower in the image below.
[Image: cPzzuyB.jpg]
[Image: Ie7fVpX.jpg]

I did not want to fit the flywheel with the 8.8 rated bolts supplied with the kit. I tried buying M10-1.0x80mm bolts, but no one had them in stock.
12.10 rated bolts were turned down to my requirements while swapping the outer hex to inner for torquing the bolts down.
[Image: KdwLO3X.jpg]
The clutch was finally installed with all of the previously noticed kinks worked out.
[Image: TuK3EmL.jpg]
The engine going in for the last fitting:
[Image: wSXzy5y.jpg?1]

After a few hours of moving everything back and forth we finally found the perfect location using the gearbox mount under no load as a reference.
Tacked the mounts down and did the final welds. The engine sits in a slight incline, which will be further reduced when I'll install the transfer case slip yoke eliminator and remove the current 3mm belly skid mount drop.

[Image: h2VnMK9.jpg]
[Image: nOt4vx5.jpg]

Overall I should have finished my own adapter, given that this one was not a direct bolt on thing and had invested the money spent in other parts.
If anyone ever needs the files for the mounts  or  for my unfinished adapter with some guidance on how to finish it- let me know.

I am now pausing the project for about 2-4 weeks for a work trip to China. Maybe longer, who knows.
Waiting for a replacement body harness from a donor in non-rust-belt US and automotive wiring supplies to come in from China.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by skrubis - 11-01-2018, 06:31 PM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by skrubis - 11-02-2018, 05:57 AM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by skrubis - 11-02-2018, 06:42 PM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by skrubis - 11-04-2018, 05:10 PM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by skrubis - 11-10-2018, 11:31 AM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by skrubis - 02-19-2019, 09:28 PM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by baldur - 02-20-2019, 09:42 AM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by rcassettyjr - 05-10-2019, 07:48 AM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by cj8py - 06-26-2019, 06:30 AM
RE: Jeep Wrangler YJ om606 swap - by skrubis - 08-02-2019, 08:29 AM