STD Tuning Engine Simple bolt on turbo upgrade for OM606?

Simple bolt on turbo upgrade for OM606?

Simple bolt on turbo upgrade for OM606?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

911_YYZ
Naturally-aspirated

08-10-2018, 10:24 PM #1
All;

Let me just say that this place is amazing and a wealth of knowledge source!!

But a simpleton like me can't follow 80% of what you guys are talking about.  I'm not mechanically challenged, but not too well versed in all the tech stuff.

So, can I pose a simple question?  

Is there a bolt on upgrade turbo for my 98 300 turbo diesel (OM606)  sedan? 

I'm about to get a chip tune from Rocket Chip in Pennsylvania (USA). 

I don't want to make crazy HP, I don't want to upgrade my tranny, I want to keep my injector as is...

Just looking for a "better" "faster" "larger" turbo that is bolt on that will give me a bit more power, spool faster, etc.

Thanks for reading;
Marc
911_YYZ
08-10-2018, 10:24 PM #1

All;

But a simpleton like me can't follow 80% of what you guys are talking about.  I'm not mechanically challenged, but not too well versed in all the tech stuff.

I don't want to make crazy HP, I don't want to upgrade my tranny, I want to keep my injector as is...

Just looking for a "better" "faster" "larger" turbo that is bolt on that will give me a bit more power, spool faster, etc.

Thanks for reading;
Marc

zeeman
Holset

08-11-2018, 12:27 PM #2
(08-10-2018, 10:24 PM)911_YYZ All;

Thanks for reading;
Marc

DieselpumpUK has a nice Hybrid turbo he sells that is really nice. Check him out. Talk to Luke, great people to deal with.
zeeman
08-11-2018, 12:27 PM #2

Thanks for reading;
Marc

DieselpumpUK has a nice Hybrid turbo he sells that is really nice. Check him out. Talk to Luke, great people to deal with.

911_YYZ
Naturally-aspirated

08-12-2018, 08:14 PM #3
(08-11-2018, 12:27 PM)zeeman

Thanks for reading;
Marc

Thank you so much!!

Am I looking in the right direction with this "Budget Turbo Kit"?

https://www.dieselpumpuk.com/shop/turboc...turbo-kit/

Marc
911_YYZ
08-12-2018, 08:14 PM #3

Thanks for reading;
Marc

Thank you so much!!

Marc

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

08-13-2018, 11:37 AM #4
I have a brand new HX35 with a 10cm turbine housing and a nice om606 adapter I will sell and I'm stateside. PM me if you are interested. I went another route with a vnt turbo off an om648.
This post was last modified: 08-13-2018, 11:38 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
08-13-2018, 11:37 AM #4

I have a brand new HX35 with a 10cm turbine housing and a nice om606 adapter I will sell and I'm stateside. PM me if you are interested. I went another route with a vnt turbo off an om648.

atypicalguy
Holset

09-01-2018, 08:15 AM #5
(08-12-2018, 08:14 PM)911_YYZ

Thanks for reading;
Marc

Thank you so much!!

Marc

You should think a bit about your goals. The recipe for more power goes: 
1. more fuel (larger pump elements, either with a 603 mechanical pump or refitting the stock EDC pump with larger elements -/+ aftermarket ECU
2. more air to burn that fuel (meaning higher boost with a turbo designed to efficiently provide the additional air mass at that higher boost), 
3. larger intercooler to help the turbo shove the required air into the engine and keep EGT down

Yes you can put a larger turbo on with a kit like that. Or you could just buy the one from Harley or straight from Alcaid for a lot less and make yourself a feed line with AN converters and an m16 banjo and m12 or whatever elbow on the other end. In your case it might be smart to buy the dieselpumpuk and pay the extra so you have some support.

But the larger point is that, as stated in the dieselpumpuk description for that kit, there is no point whatsoever in putting that turbo on the car unless you deliver more fuel to the motor, which requires a new injection pump. And any higher power goal than stock power should have an intercooler, but you probably already have a small one if this is a w210 car.

Putting a larger turbo on the stock car with no additional fuel would slow it considerably. You will not be able to make boost (potentially at all) and it will come on much later in the rpm range, meaning less low end torque.

The only bolt on improvement I can think of is installing a VNT like the one from the OM648. That would improve low end responsiveness by creating boost sooner than the stock turbo and providing more fuel earlier in the rpm range. You would need to control it however, using something like Baldur's edc controller or the olefejer TCU. There would also be some gain in upgrading to a more modern non-vnt turbo of similar size to stock, due to improvements in turbine design over the years leading to improved spool.

A chip tune isn't going to give you much more fuel. It might do it earlier in the rpm range, which should liven the motor up a bit. The best move these days for more performance is probably boot the stock ECU, refit electronic pump with larger elements, get baldur's ecu, a VNT +/- larger turbo in compound, and the 722.6 for nice tunable shifting with a controller like the PCS or olefejer units.
This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 08:27 AM by atypicalguy.
atypicalguy
09-01-2018, 08:15 AM #5

(08-12-2018, 08:14 PM)911_YYZ

Thanks for reading;
Marc

Thank you so much!!

Marc

You should think a bit about your goals. The recipe for more power goes: 
1. more fuel (larger pump elements, either with a 603 mechanical pump or refitting the stock EDC pump with larger elements -/+ aftermarket ECU
2. more air to burn that fuel (meaning higher boost with a turbo designed to efficiently provide the additional air mass at that higher boost), 
3. larger intercooler to help the turbo shove the required air into the engine and keep EGT down

Yes you can put a larger turbo on with a kit like that. Or you could just buy the one from Harley or straight from Alcaid for a lot less and make yourself a feed line with AN converters and an m16 banjo and m12 or whatever elbow on the other end. In your case it might be smart to buy the dieselpumpuk and pay the extra so you have some support.

But the larger point is that, as stated in the dieselpumpuk description for that kit, there is no point whatsoever in putting that turbo on the car unless you deliver more fuel to the motor, which requires a new injection pump. And any higher power goal than stock power should have an intercooler, but you probably already have a small one if this is a w210 car.

Putting a larger turbo on the stock car with no additional fuel would slow it considerably. You will not be able to make boost (potentially at all) and it will come on much later in the rpm range, meaning less low end torque.

The only bolt on improvement I can think of is installing a VNT like the one from the OM648. That would improve low end responsiveness by creating boost sooner than the stock turbo and providing more fuel earlier in the rpm range. You would need to control it however, using something like Baldur's edc controller or the olefejer TCU. There would also be some gain in upgrading to a more modern non-vnt turbo of similar size to stock, due to improvements in turbine design over the years leading to improved spool.

A chip tune isn't going to give you much more fuel. It might do it earlier in the rpm range, which should liven the motor up a bit. The best move these days for more performance is probably boot the stock ECU, refit electronic pump with larger elements, get baldur's ecu, a VNT +/- larger turbo in compound, and the 722.6 for nice tunable shifting with a controller like the PCS or olefejer units.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average