STD Other Projects 124 606 super turbo manual conversion finished

124 606 super turbo manual conversion finished

124 606 super turbo manual conversion finished

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rhys95
Unregistered

07-21-2018, 07:45 PM #1
so after 6 months of waiting for parts and an empty wallet my 124 is boosting and ready for mot, this has been a budget build for me an i plan to use as a weekend car. I have decided to do a small write up on it just to see what people think there may have been better ways to go about completing this project but i did it my own way and with little research so we shall see how long it lasts   Big Grin

Engine 
She started as a stock na 606 i purchased a turbo 606 block and dropped it in place.
I am running a hx35 with an 11cm quick spool exhaust housing off the stock manifold and a adaptor with a 44mm external waste gate this combination seems perfect there is almost no lag i am currently only boosting 1 bar as i am awaiting a paddle clutch.
The fuel pump is the mechanical pump off the old na606 i have had it rebuilt with 7.5mm elements and external alda 

Transmission 
Ok so this is where i experienced most of my issues having done little research and not being able to find much information on a manual conversion anyway i was originally going to do a bmw zf conversion but the budget did now allow. I have ended up with a 717 460 manual box from a r170 i am not confident if this gearbox is going to cope with the torque from the 606 but i am going to find out the hard way.  Big Grin
I sourced a manual pedal box and a solid flywheel from a bloke in albania though ebay i believe the flywheel is off an early 2.5 diesel it is a dog dish style flywheel with only a 215mm surface area again not ideal but i have to work with what ive got. 
The clutch is a sachs 3000 111 003 kit i understood this would never take the power of the engine but wanted a cheap experimental clutch before paying out for a 6 paddle 
I had the stock prop shaft lengthend and a yolk welded on to suit the manual box 
The gearbox bolts directly to the engine however the input shaft did not reach the flywheel i ended up cutting an inspection window in the top of the bell housing as this would be the only easy way to figure out the flywheel and release fork spacing.

I have the original flex plate sitting at the back of the flywheel and ordered some high tensile long crank bolts i then used washers to space the flywheel away from the flex plate to get the spacing for the input shaft and pilot shaft correct i then took measurements and had an adaptor machined up to space the flywheel approximately 10mm out there is one continuous dowl going from the engine crank shaft all the way through to the flywheel that is bolted on with extra high tensile cap bolts. 
To make the release bearing work correctly i had to completely modify the release fork and the pivot inside the gearbox the fork now takes the release bearing from the sachs clutch kit so all parts are compatible.
When bolted up the input shaft sits nicely inside the pilot bearing and clutch plate the release works very well and its extremely nice to drive i am sure i will get slated for my methods used here but its what i have available to me at the time and so far it works flawlessly apart from the obvious clutch slip that a 6 paddle should sort out.

so the parts i have used for my manual conversion are as follows 
717 460 5 speed transmission and selector gate according to my research this is a 6 speed box however it is most certainly a 5 speed the cars it came in can be seen listen in this link  http://mbturbo.com/manual-transmissions/
220mm solid flywheel i believe to be from a c250d but cannot confirm (would be great if someone could confirm this for me)
sachs 3000 111 003 clutch kit this is going to be replaced with a drivetorque stage 3 clutch larkspeed part number 8698 i will report back on how well this works 
lengthened stock proper shaft 
custom machined adaptor to space flywheel out 
original flex plate used for starting a crank speed sensor 
w124 pedal manual pedal box and master cylinder 
stock 717 460 slave cylinder 

The i am unsure on the power of the car at the moment however believe to be between 300 and 350 bhp once the clutch is replaced and i have the car fine tuned i shall put it on the dyno to see what it makes however it certainly puts a smile on my face and makes a mapped 330d seem slow this is just the beginning of the journey and i shall keep updating on how well the transmission holds up.   Rolleyes

Pictures --- https://ibb.co/album/me62Qa

Rhys95
07-21-2018, 07:45 PM #1

so after 6 months of waiting for parts and an empty wallet my 124 is boosting and ready for mot, this has been a budget build for me an i plan to use as a weekend car. I have decided to do a small write up on it just to see what people think there may have been better ways to go about completing this project but i did it my own way and with little research so we shall see how long it lasts   Big Grin

Engine 
She started as a stock na 606 i purchased a turbo 606 block and dropped it in place.
I am running a hx35 with an 11cm quick spool exhaust housing off the stock manifold and a adaptor with a 44mm external waste gate this combination seems perfect there is almost no lag i am currently only boosting 1 bar as i am awaiting a paddle clutch.
The fuel pump is the mechanical pump off the old na606 i have had it rebuilt with 7.5mm elements and external alda 

Transmission 
Ok so this is where i experienced most of my issues having done little research and not being able to find much information on a manual conversion anyway i was originally going to do a bmw zf conversion but the budget did now allow. I have ended up with a 717 460 manual box from a r170 i am not confident if this gearbox is going to cope with the torque from the 606 but i am going to find out the hard way.  Big Grin
I sourced a manual pedal box and a solid flywheel from a bloke in albania though ebay i believe the flywheel is off an early 2.5 diesel it is a dog dish style flywheel with only a 215mm surface area again not ideal but i have to work with what ive got. 
The clutch is a sachs 3000 111 003 kit i understood this would never take the power of the engine but wanted a cheap experimental clutch before paying out for a 6 paddle 
I had the stock prop shaft lengthend and a yolk welded on to suit the manual box 
The gearbox bolts directly to the engine however the input shaft did not reach the flywheel i ended up cutting an inspection window in the top of the bell housing as this would be the only easy way to figure out the flywheel and release fork spacing.

I have the original flex plate sitting at the back of the flywheel and ordered some high tensile long crank bolts i then used washers to space the flywheel away from the flex plate to get the spacing for the input shaft and pilot shaft correct i then took measurements and had an adaptor machined up to space the flywheel approximately 10mm out there is one continuous dowl going from the engine crank shaft all the way through to the flywheel that is bolted on with extra high tensile cap bolts. 
To make the release bearing work correctly i had to completely modify the release fork and the pivot inside the gearbox the fork now takes the release bearing from the sachs clutch kit so all parts are compatible.
When bolted up the input shaft sits nicely inside the pilot bearing and clutch plate the release works very well and its extremely nice to drive i am sure i will get slated for my methods used here but its what i have available to me at the time and so far it works flawlessly apart from the obvious clutch slip that a 6 paddle should sort out.

717 460 5 speed transmission and selector gate according to my research this is a 6 speed box however it is most certainly a 5 speed the cars it came in can be seen listen in this link  http://mbturbo.com/manual-transmissions/
220mm solid flywheel i believe to be from a c250d but cannot confirm (would be great if someone could confirm this for me)
sachs 3000 111 003 clutch kit this is going to be replaced with a drivetorque stage 3 clutch larkspeed part number 8698 i will report back on how well this works 

The i am unsure on the power of the car at the moment however believe to be between 300 and 350 bhp once the clutch is replaced and i have the car fine tuned i shall put it on the dyno to see what it makes however it certainly puts a smile on my face and makes a mapped 330d seem slow this is just the beginning of the journey and i shall keep updating on how well the transmission holds up.   Rolleyes

deviance
HE351VE

07-26-2018, 02:48 PM #2
When is it spool with qsv?
deviance
07-26-2018, 02:48 PM #2

When is it spool with qsv?

LD300TD
Naturally-aspirated

12-16-2018, 12:30 PM #3
(07-21-2018, 07:45 PM)Rhys95 so after 6 months of waiting for parts and an empty wallet my 124 is boosting and ready for mot, this has been a budget build for me an i plan to use as a weekend car. I have decided to do a small write up on it just to see what people think there may have been better ways to go about completing this project but i did it my own way and with little research so we shall see how long it lasts   Big Grin

Engine 

Transmission 

hello. is the larkspeed clutch good for this power?
LD300TD
12-16-2018, 12:30 PM #3

(07-21-2018, 07:45 PM)Rhys95 so after 6 months of waiting for parts and an empty wallet my 124 is boosting and ready for mot, this has been a budget build for me an i plan to use as a weekend car. I have decided to do a small write up on it just to see what people think there may have been better ways to go about completing this project but i did it my own way and with little research so we shall see how long it lasts   Big Grin

Engine 

Transmission 

hello. is the larkspeed clutch good for this power?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average