Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E-pump inlet pressure
50harleyrider Offline
Holset

E-pump inlet pressure
Could there be any issues with too much lift pump pressure into the Bosch E pump on an OM606.962? I've been running under the premise that with a return line, it wouldn't be an issue but doing that I haven't considered pressure drop in the return line which may affect the pump. The W210 had no lift pump so I'm a bit concerned about running one on a stock engine in my conversion.
07-06-2018, 06:07 AM
Find Reply
AlanMcR Offline
mind - blown

RE: E-pump inlet pressure
The W210 has a mechanical lift pump on the side of the E pump. The spring driven piston provides a max of ~14psi, if I remember correctly. The overpressure valve on these pumps has internals that are made of plastic. They warp and fail, letting the pressure in the galley drop. I replaced the valve with a .5mm orifice, leaving the pressure regulation to the lift pump. That has worked nicely for the last 100K miles.
07-10-2018, 12:48 PM
Find Reply
Mr.Emo Offline
Nissan Patrol -> 606 conversion.

I am putting a 606 in a patrol with a lift pump. I will make a y with a check valve right infront of the filter on the 606 so the lift pump will "bypass" and circulate back to the tank.
The lift pump on the e pump then only has to suck from the filter.
07-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
AlanMcR Offline
mind - blown

I've considered doing exactly this on my W463 G. The G's tank is fairly flat side to side. When the fuel is low you can run out of fuel when on a slope due to the fuel running to one side. I figure I could build in a small, but very tall tank under the hood (basically a vertical tube). Feed the tube-tank with a lift pump from the main tank. Have the engine take fuel from the bottom of the tube and return air/fuel back from the top of the tube. That way you can use all of the fuel in the main tank.
07-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
Mr.Emo Offline
Nissan Patrol -> 606 conversion.

You don't need the tank in the engine bay. Lift pump should be enough. Smile Better response etc is also a compliment to the pump.

I'm running a carter 4600 atm. That should deliver 4-6 psi. But I'm thinking about upgrading to a pump that delivers 8-10.
07-12-2018, 03:25 AM
Find Reply
AlanMcR Offline
mind - blown

Once you are on a slope with low fuel, the rear lift pump will simply pump air. The purpose of the tank in the engine bay is to keep the last liter or two for the engine and return the air to the tank. Basically treating the main tank like a dry sump. You can squeeze quite a bit of reliable distance out of the tank that way.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2018, 11:30 PM by AlanMcR.)
07-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Find Reply
CutWeldDrive Offline
Naturally-aspirated

i've always know what you talk of as a swirl pot. Off the shelf part.
Used when fuel tank doesn't have baffles to prevent fuel starvation on hard cornering.
07-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Find Reply