STD Tuning Engine Seeking knowledge of OM606A oil filter block

Seeking knowledge of OM606A oil filter block

Seeking knowledge of OM606A oil filter block

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

AlanMcR
mind - blown

11-21-2020, 02:58 PM #1
I recently worked over much of my engine.  It runs great, but has developed an oil pressure problem.
Notable symptoms:
 - Oil drains back to the sump after a few hours (filter compartment is empty).  The picture is exactly how it looks when the filter is pulled.
 - Oil pressure warning if started after a few hours.
 - Once warm, a faint rattle until RPMs are up slightly.

I believe this problem is in the oil filter block.  Specifically the over pressure return valve, item 3.3 on the diagram.  I inspected the filter material and found some aluminum spirals.  These probably came from a refurbished oil->air cooler (the new part is NLA).  If a similar spiral got into item 3.3 it would explain all.   If the problem were at 3.8 then the bottom of the filter compartment should still be partially full of oil, which it isn't.  I suppose it could siphon up and over through the filter material.

Anyone know that oil filter block well, or have experience with this?
This post was last modified: 11-21-2020, 03:15 PM by AlanMcR.
Attached Files
Image(s)

AlanMcR
11-21-2020, 02:58 PM #1

I recently worked over much of my engine.  It runs great, but has developed an oil pressure problem.
Notable symptoms:
 - Oil drains back to the sump after a few hours (filter compartment is empty).  The picture is exactly how it looks when the filter is pulled.
 - Oil pressure warning if started after a few hours.
 - Once warm, a faint rattle until RPMs are up slightly.

I believe this problem is in the oil filter block.  Specifically the over pressure return valve, item 3.3 on the diagram.  I inspected the filter material and found some aluminum spirals.  These probably came from a refurbished oil->air cooler (the new part is NLA).  If a similar spiral got into item 3.3 it would explain all.   If the problem were at 3.8 then the bottom of the filter compartment should still be partially full of oil, which it isn't.  I suppose it could siphon up and over through the filter material.

Anyone know that oil filter block well, or have experience with this?

Attached Files
Image(s)

zeeman
Holset

11-22-2020, 01:21 PM #2
Did you check the o-ring on the bottom of the oil cap shaft that goes through the oil filter ?
zeeman
11-22-2020, 01:21 PM #2

Did you check the o-ring on the bottom of the oil cap shaft that goes through the oil filter ?

AlanMcR
mind - blown

11-22-2020, 11:16 PM #3
Yep. Both are in position. That was also my first hope. Those two little O-rings are vital. If the smaller one is missing you lose all oil pressure. If the larger one is missing oil will bypass the filter.

A kind friend turned up with a 606A filter block. So, I've been looking at how it works. Pretty clever casting and machining.

3.3, the anti-drainback valve is easy to get to, but it is staked in. That would easily explain the drainback problem. I'm presuming that it is fouled, I'll have to see if I can clean it up in place. But doesn't explain low oil pressure at idle. Either way, It looks like I'll have to pull the filter block.

3.8, which appears to be an overpressure valve (venting back to the pan) does not appear to be part of the filter block. Instead it must be in the
block (as the diagram shows). Anyone have a clue where I would find it? Really don't want to pull the oil pan, but there may be no choice.

Anyone have a picture of the side of the block with the oil filter block removed? Maybe it is visible from that point?
This post was last modified: 11-22-2020, 11:21 PM by AlanMcR.
AlanMcR
11-22-2020, 11:16 PM #3

Yep. Both are in position. That was also my first hope. Those two little O-rings are vital. If the smaller one is missing you lose all oil pressure. If the larger one is missing oil will bypass the filter.

A kind friend turned up with a 606A filter block. So, I've been looking at how it works. Pretty clever casting and machining.

3.3, the anti-drainback valve is easy to get to, but it is staked in. That would easily explain the drainback problem. I'm presuming that it is fouled, I'll have to see if I can clean it up in place. But doesn't explain low oil pressure at idle. Either way, It looks like I'll have to pull the filter block.

3.8, which appears to be an overpressure valve (venting back to the pan) does not appear to be part of the filter block. Instead it must be in the
block (as the diagram shows). Anyone have a clue where I would find it? Really don't want to pull the oil pan, but there may be no choice.

Anyone have a picture of the side of the block with the oil filter block removed? Maybe it is visible from that point?

zeeman
Holset

11-24-2020, 02:55 AM #4
AlanMcR Yep. Both are in position.  That was also my first hope.  Those two little O-rings are vital.  If the smaller one is missing you lose all oil pressure.  If the larger one is missing oil will bypass the filter.

A kind friend turned up with a 606A filter block.  So, I've been looking at how it works.  Pretty clever casting and machining.

3.3, the anti-drainback valve is easy to get to, but it is staked in.  That would easily explain the drainback problem.  I'm presuming that it is fouled, I'll have to see if I can clean it up in place.  But doesn't explain low oil pressure at idle.  Either way, It looks like I'll have to pull the filter block.

3.8, which appears to be an overpressure valve (venting back to the pan) does not appear to be part of the filter block.  Instead it must be in the
block (as the diagram shows).  Anyone have a clue where I would find it?  Really don't want to pull the oil pan, but there may be no choice.

Anyone have a picture of the side of the block with the oil filter block removed?  Maybe it is visible from that point?
Here is a picture of the block behind the oil filter housing, there is no valve in the block. Did you have the front timing cover off, there is a o-ring between the cover and the block that feeds the timing chain I believe.
Attached Files
Image(s)

zeeman
11-24-2020, 02:55 AM #4

AlanMcR Yep. Both are in position.  That was also my first hope.  Those two little O-rings are vital.  If the smaller one is missing you lose all oil pressure.  If the larger one is missing oil will bypass the filter.

A kind friend turned up with a 606A filter block.  So, I've been looking at how it works.  Pretty clever casting and machining.

3.3, the anti-drainback valve is easy to get to, but it is staked in.  That would easily explain the drainback problem.  I'm presuming that it is fouled, I'll have to see if I can clean it up in place.  But doesn't explain low oil pressure at idle.  Either way, It looks like I'll have to pull the filter block.

3.8, which appears to be an overpressure valve (venting back to the pan) does not appear to be part of the filter block.  Instead it must be in the
block (as the diagram shows).  Anyone have a clue where I would find it?  Really don't want to pull the oil pan, but there may be no choice.

Anyone have a picture of the side of the block with the oil filter block removed?  Maybe it is visible from that point?
Here is a picture of the block behind the oil filter housing, there is no valve in the block. Did you have the front timing cover off, there is a o-ring between the cover and the block that feeds the timing chain I believe.

Attached Files
Image(s)

AlanMcR
mind - blown

11-24-2020, 12:24 PM #5
I had the timing cover off. I did see the thick/small O-ring that sealed the vacuum pump oil nozzle against the cover.  #113 in the drawing, though the O-ring looks quite different than the drawing.   It is easy to lose, but I think I got it into place correctly.  There is one other tricky spot that has me worried.  On the passenger side sealing face of the block, there is a circular indent where an oil galley ends and meets a drilled galley to (if I recall correctly) the vacuum pump oil nozzle and the chain oiler.  This opening is sealed by the front cover.  The mating area is quite thin and maybe the anaerobic sealant blew out of that area. 

Important point: the leak was not there for the first 2-300 miles.  It showed up after some vigorous driving (long mountain passes, etc).  The engine never got hot <90C, no matter how hard I pressed it.  Plenty of power.
Attached Files
Image(s)

AlanMcR
11-24-2020, 12:24 PM #5

I had the timing cover off. I did see the thick/small O-ring that sealed the vacuum pump oil nozzle against the cover.  #113 in the drawing, though the O-ring looks quite different than the drawing.   It is easy to lose, but I think I got it into place correctly.  There is one other tricky spot that has me worried.  On the passenger side sealing face of the block, there is a circular indent where an oil galley ends and meets a drilled galley to (if I recall correctly) the vacuum pump oil nozzle and the chain oiler.  This opening is sealed by the front cover.  The mating area is quite thin and maybe the anaerobic sealant blew out of that area. 

Important point: the leak was not there for the first 2-300 miles.  It showed up after some vigorous driving (long mountain passes, etc).  The engine never got hot <90C, no matter how hard I pressed it.  Plenty of power.

Attached Files
Image(s)

barrote
Superturbo

11-25-2020, 06:11 AM #6
Whats your complaint?
Start in the morning does give u emediate oil press?
Is this u complain?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
11-25-2020, 06:11 AM #6

Whats your complaint?
Start in the morning does give u emediate oil press?
Is this u complain?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

AlanMcR
mind - blown

11-25-2020, 01:16 PM #7
Oil pressure warning that stays around for 15 seconds. Note that the instrument cluster suppresses the oil pressure warning for a few seconds after cranking. I've only once seen an oil pressure warning over the last 280K miles. And that was after changing the oil, and then only for a second.

I have now determined that the oil filter block is working as designed. The non-return valve is sealing properly, and there was about 2cm of oil level above it. The oil feed line from the oil pump was full (until I pulled the filter block). The rest of the oil filter block was empty. This matches up with the oil level rising significantly after an hour sitting.

This means that the oil is leaking out internal to the engine. This matches up with the tapping heard at warm idle. Somewhere in the engine there is a large leak that the oil pump is barely keeping up with. No other strange engine sounds.
AlanMcR
11-25-2020, 01:16 PM #7

Oil pressure warning that stays around for 15 seconds. Note that the instrument cluster suppresses the oil pressure warning for a few seconds after cranking. I've only once seen an oil pressure warning over the last 280K miles. And that was after changing the oil, and then only for a second.

I have now determined that the oil filter block is working as designed. The non-return valve is sealing properly, and there was about 2cm of oil level above it. The oil feed line from the oil pump was full (until I pulled the filter block). The rest of the oil filter block was empty. This matches up with the oil level rising significantly after an hour sitting.

This means that the oil is leaking out internal to the engine. This matches up with the tapping heard at warm idle. Somewhere in the engine there is a large leak that the oil pump is barely keeping up with. No other strange engine sounds.

zeeman
Holset

11-26-2020, 12:20 PM #8
AlanMcR Oil pressure warning that stays around for 15 seconds.  Note that the instrument cluster suppresses the oil pressure warning for a few seconds after cranking.  I've only once seen an oil pressure warning over the last 280K miles. And that was after changing the oil, and then only for a second. 

I have now determined that the oil filter block is working as designed.  The non-return valve is sealing properly, and there was about 2cm of oil level above it. The oil feed line from the oil pump was full (until I pulled the filter block).  The rest of the oil filter block was empty.  This matches up with the oil level rising significantly after an hour sitting.

This means that the oil is leaking out internal to the engine.  This matches up with the tapping heard at warm idle.  Somewhere in the engine there is a large leak that the oil pump is barely keeping up with. No other strange engine sounds.
I wonder if one of the piston oilers is defective? They have a check valve in them. I don't see any other area other then a crankshaft bearing or just a bad oil pump.
zeeman
11-26-2020, 12:20 PM #8

AlanMcR Oil pressure warning that stays around for 15 seconds.  Note that the instrument cluster suppresses the oil pressure warning for a few seconds after cranking.  I've only once seen an oil pressure warning over the last 280K miles. And that was after changing the oil, and then only for a second. 

I have now determined that the oil filter block is working as designed.  The non-return valve is sealing properly, and there was about 2cm of oil level above it. The oil feed line from the oil pump was full (until I pulled the filter block).  The rest of the oil filter block was empty.  This matches up with the oil level rising significantly after an hour sitting.

This means that the oil is leaking out internal to the engine.  This matches up with the tapping heard at warm idle.  Somewhere in the engine there is a large leak that the oil pump is barely keeping up with. No other strange engine sounds.
I wonder if one of the piston oilers is defective? They have a check valve in them. I don't see any other area other then a crankshaft bearing or just a bad oil pump.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

11-26-2020, 07:17 PM #9
They are certainly i the running for the leak. And it has to be a leak. If it were merely a bad oil pump the oil wouldn't simply run out of the system when stopped. everything downstream of the non-return valve is dry and has to be refilled with each start.

I plugged a snug fitting hose into the block where the clean oil comes in from the filter. I can rather freely blow air through the hose with out straining at all.

Taking the pan off soon. Doubt I'll see anything there. I'm guessing the problem is behind the front cover. If it were higher then the oil wouldn't run out.
AlanMcR
11-26-2020, 07:17 PM #9

They are certainly i the running for the leak. And it has to be a leak. If it were merely a bad oil pump the oil wouldn't simply run out of the system when stopped. everything downstream of the non-return valve is dry and has to be refilled with each start.

I plugged a snug fitting hose into the block where the clean oil comes in from the filter. I can rather freely blow air through the hose with out straining at all.

Taking the pan off soon. Doubt I'll see anything there. I'm guessing the problem is behind the front cover. If it were higher then the oil wouldn't run out.

barrote
Superturbo

11-27-2020, 09:59 AM #10
Diesel and most gaz benzes do not have oil check light....
The only light associated with oil is the level light...
Probably oil is low or conection is broken...

FD,