STD Tuning Engine N/A vs turbo crankshaft om60X

N/A vs turbo crankshaft om60X

N/A vs turbo crankshaft om60X

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phantomaz
Naturally-aspirated

12-11-2020, 10:20 AM #1
Hello ,all. I was looking to find some info about the actual difference between both cranks but with no luck. 
It is about the vito 2.3 om601 crankshaft. I have one n/a shaft which is in perfect shape, and two turbo shafts which need to be machined. The engine I.want to put the crank to will be a turbo motor with around 200 - 250hp. 
So how are both cranks different? The n/a one is marked D23 ,measures 16.7kg. and has a mb logo with 3201 stamp.
One of the turbo cranks is also 16.7kg D23 with ssang yong and mb logo 60127 stamp. But this one have signs of forging around the necks where the rod bearings connect /some purple-blue coloring.of the.metal/
The second turbo shaft weights 18.1kg looks rough, only mb logo 60133A and D23A stamp. Has some yellow ,blue ,red dots for the bearing sizes. And that one also has signs of forging around the necks.

Can anyone say how are the shafts different? Is the steel different? How strong the n/a cranks is? Are both equally resistant to wearing out?
Phantomaz
12-11-2020, 10:20 AM #1

Hello ,all. I was looking to find some info about the actual difference between both cranks but with no luck. 
It is about the vito 2.3 om601 crankshaft. I have one n/a shaft which is in perfect shape, and two turbo shafts which need to be machined. The engine I.want to put the crank to will be a turbo motor with around 200 - 250hp. 
So how are both cranks different? The n/a one is marked D23 ,measures 16.7kg. and has a mb logo with 3201 stamp.
One of the turbo cranks is also 16.7kg D23 with ssang yong and mb logo 60127 stamp. But this one have signs of forging around the necks where the rod bearings connect /some purple-blue coloring.of the.metal/
The second turbo shaft weights 18.1kg looks rough, only mb logo 60133A and D23A stamp. Has some yellow ,blue ,red dots for the bearing sizes. And that one also has signs of forging around the necks.

Can anyone say how are the shafts different? Is the steel different? How strong the n/a cranks is? Are both equally resistant to wearing out?

Phantomaz
Naturally-aspirated

12-13-2020, 07:38 AM #2
Anyone?
Phantomaz
12-13-2020, 07:38 AM #2

Anyone?

X Double Dot
GTA2056V

12-16-2020, 09:42 PM #3
any chance you can add pictures?

all other things equal the forged crank will always hold up better due to the metallurgy, but i'm guessing you already know that.

the purple coloring is likely from when they induction hardened the pins, which adds considerable durability/wear resistance to those surfaces.

without know the dimensions/forces etc it's hard to know if the cast one will work. I will say that when you start getting into the 100hp+/liter range most cranks in oem applications are going to be forged.

i'd certainly lean towards refreshing one of the forged cranks. The heavier one must have a different stroke? or must have been designed for use with heavier pistons or rods it'd guess? (due to balance).
X Double Dot
12-16-2020, 09:42 PM #3

any chance you can add pictures?

all other things equal the forged crank will always hold up better due to the metallurgy, but i'm guessing you already know that.

the purple coloring is likely from when they induction hardened the pins, which adds considerable durability/wear resistance to those surfaces.

without know the dimensions/forces etc it's hard to know if the cast one will work. I will say that when you start getting into the 100hp+/liter range most cranks in oem applications are going to be forged.

i'd certainly lean towards refreshing one of the forged cranks. The heavier one must have a different stroke? or must have been designed for use with heavier pistons or rods it'd guess? (due to balance).

Phantomaz
Naturally-aspirated

12-26-2020, 02:35 PM #4
X Double Dotany chance you can add pictures?

without know the dimensions/forces etc it's hard to know if the cast one will work.  I will say that when you start getting into the 100hp+/liter range most cranks in oem applications are going to be forged.

i'd certainly lean towards refreshing one of the forged cranks.  The heavier one must have a different stroke? or must have been designed for use with heavier pistons or rods it'd guess? (due 
Better wear resistance for the turbo crank is something which will stop me to use the n/a one. Don't know what to do. There was a thread with a person who turbocharged an om604 engine acheiving some impressive power, using the stock n/a crankshaft.

All the cranks have the same stroke and dimensions except one of the turbo ones is heavier.

P.s. cant upload the pictures ...
This post was last modified: 12-26-2020, 03:13 PM by Phantomaz.
Phantomaz
12-26-2020, 02:35 PM #4

X Double Dotany chance you can add pictures?

without know the dimensions/forces etc it's hard to know if the cast one will work.  I will say that when you start getting into the 100hp+/liter range most cranks in oem applications are going to be forged.

i'd certainly lean towards refreshing one of the forged cranks.  The heavier one must have a different stroke? or must have been designed for use with heavier pistons or rods it'd guess? (due 
Better wear resistance for the turbo crank is something which will stop me to use the n/a one. Don't know what to do. There was a thread with a person who turbocharged an om604 engine acheiving some impressive power, using the stock n/a crankshaft.

All the cranks have the same stroke and dimensions except one of the turbo ones is heavier.

P.s. cant upload the pictures ...

X Double Dot
GTA2056V

12-27-2020, 08:44 PM #5
If the turbo one is heavier, and the pins etc are all the same, I imagine the extra weight is in the counterweighting. Which likely means it was designed to be used with some beefier (heavier) connecting rods. What connecting rods do you have/plan to use
X Double Dot
12-27-2020, 08:44 PM #5

If the turbo one is heavier, and the pins etc are all the same, I imagine the extra weight is in the counterweighting. Which likely means it was designed to be used with some beefier (heavier) connecting rods. What connecting rods do you have/plan to use

barrote
Superturbo

01-01-2021, 07:31 AM #6
Hy,
As far as my knowledge goes all MB cranks are forged. Since for ever.
Even gasoline engines share same bearing size, at least old engines style.
Diferences yes... usually the crank has a code on the snout but this is related to bearing size as they have very tight tolerances.
A crank marked D20 is for a 2liter and 22 2.2liter, D25 D32 and so on.
As the 601 engine was in production almost 25 years some diferences exist between cranks, mostly due production improvements.
Definitly the one marked sangyang is definetly made in korea and u should avoid it, not saing its weaker...
Anyway this cranks stand 100hp cylinder easylly.

FD,