STD Tuning Engine From #14 to rebuilding a #22 head use any #14 parts?

From #14 to rebuilding a #22 head use any #14 parts?

From #14 to rebuilding a #22 head use any #14 parts?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

abosely
Naturally-aspirated

05-31-2018, 02:39 AM #1
I have an 87' 603t that has a #14 head, I'm rebuilding the engine to new specs. When I find a good used #22 head and rebuild it to new specs, what parts of the #14 head can (most likely based on condition) use from the #14 head. 

My cam looks like it's in excellent shape, will have it reground to make sure it's spot on. Will use new valve seats, guides & valves, new injectors and precups. 
Probably can use rockers, but what else from the #14 can be reused if still within new specs? Do lifters wear particularly, so if measured and in new spec dimensions can be reused or is it usually better to fit new lifters? 

Cheers, Allen
abosely
05-31-2018, 02:39 AM #1

I have an 87' 603t that has a #14 head, I'm rebuilding the engine to new specs. When I find a good used #22 head and rebuild it to new specs, what parts of the #14 head can (most likely based on condition) use from the #14 head. 

My cam looks like it's in excellent shape, will have it reground to make sure it's spot on. Will use new valve seats, guides & valves, new injectors and precups. 
Probably can use rockers, but what else from the #14 can be reused if still within new specs? Do lifters wear particularly, so if measured and in new spec dimensions can be reused or is it usually better to fit new lifters? 

Cheers, Allen

barrote
Superturbo

05-31-2018, 04:34 AM #2
Hy Allen,
Much probably only thing u need to swap in the new head is valve guides and seals... al the rest can be made to spec....
Valve seats can be machined and valves too . After they will be like new. Lifters are hyd tappets is working properly no need to add new. The cam shaft same , but if u want to regrind why not increase lift at same time....
There are differences in precups from model year 89 . So must probably u canot fit the 87 cups in the 22 head. This case u need new or used compayble cups.
Like this u can spare a lot of cash.... on the other hand is cash is not a problem for u ... buy a complete head from MB.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
05-31-2018, 04:34 AM #2

Hy Allen,
Much probably only thing u need to swap in the new head is valve guides and seals... al the rest can be made to spec....
Valve seats can be machined and valves too . After they will be like new. Lifters are hyd tappets is working properly no need to add new. The cam shaft same , but if u want to regrind why not increase lift at same time....
There are differences in precups from model year 89 . So must probably u canot fit the 87 cups in the 22 head. This case u need new or used compayble cups.
Like this u can spare a lot of cash.... on the other hand is cash is not a problem for u ... buy a complete head from MB.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

abosely
Naturally-aspirated

06-01-2018, 04:18 AM #3
(05-31-2018, 04:34 AM)barrote Hy Allen,

As long as the used parts are within new tolerances I'd prefer to use them. Cash is a problem, but want to build it to new tolerances. 
Tell me more about regrinding the cam shaft for more lift, I didn't know this was an option and benefit.

Cheers, Allen
abosely
06-01-2018, 04:18 AM #3

(05-31-2018, 04:34 AM)barrote Hy Allen,

As long as the used parts are within new tolerances I'd prefer to use them. Cash is a problem, but want to build it to new tolerances. 
Tell me more about regrinding the cam shaft for more lift, I didn't know this was an option and benefit.

Cheers, Allen

abosely
Naturally-aspirated

06-01-2018, 04:22 AM #4
The cam towers don't have shell bearings like the crank does that can be gotten thicker or when crank or con rods are ground, from what I understand.

Can the cam towers be reworked if they have some wear or is the whole head scrapped?

Cheers, Allen
abosely
06-01-2018, 04:22 AM #4

The cam towers don't have shell bearings like the crank does that can be gotten thicker or when crank or con rods are ground, from what I understand.

Can the cam towers be reworked if they have some wear or is the whole head scrapped?

Cheers, Allen

barrote
Superturbo

06-01-2018, 08:50 AM #5
Na... na... i was messing up with the cam thing... this is about engine tunning , usually grinding the cam helps breathing but that is for deep tunning...
Unless the cam bearings are damaged i don't see any reason to scrap the head. Is possible to recover them to. With a cap...
Regards

FD,