STD Tuning Engine Odd power loss, only during first start of the day.

Odd power loss, only during first start of the day.

Odd power loss, only during first start of the day.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

74Dusted
Naturally-aspirated

05-19-2018, 09:55 PM #1
I have an OM617 Turbo and 722.x from an 84 or 85 300D powering my Lifted AWD 1992 ClubCab Dodge Dakota.

It runs like a dream, gets great fuel mileage and confuses everyone that hears it run. I can tow another truck behind the Dakota running 65-70mph and barely even push the throttle.

The truck has minimal vacuum equipment (even most of the OM617 vacuum stuff has been removed, save for vacuum to the transmission and the fuel shut off). And has ran perfectly for the last year (with routine maintenance, such as fuel filters, air filter, oil changes, periodic valve adjustments)

Recently though, in the last 2 months, I’ve noticed that when I start the truck for the first time each day, it will sometimes have no power for a short period of time, unless I let it idle for a while. Other times, it’s ready to go instantly.

I usually start the truck up, load my coffee, lunch, etc into the truck, roll a cigarette, buckle my seat belt and she’s ready to go. When it acts up, it won’t have any power, not instantly though. It’ll pull out of the parking space and 200 feet later require full throttle to move above an idle. By the time I reach the end of my driveway (about 1/8 mile from where I park), it’s running perfectly again and gives me no problems for the rest of the day.

My first thought was it had something to do with sitting overnight, but it sits longer when I’m at work and when I start it up to leave work, it never has this problem. Temperature (outside) has no effect on if this problem occurs or not.

I’m beginning to think an air leak might have developed in the fuel system and it’s periodically sucking in air, though it’s all new fuel lines and hoses (replaced a year ago), did the fuel filters in January, haven’t seen any fuel leaks either.

'92 Dakota 4x4 : OM617/Auto/205
'84 D50 4x4 : 273/727/100/203 (former turbo diesel truck)
'73 Duster : Roots 6-71 Blown 340/833
74Dusted
05-19-2018, 09:55 PM #1

I have an OM617 Turbo and 722.x from an 84 or 85 300D powering my Lifted AWD 1992 ClubCab Dodge Dakota.

It runs like a dream, gets great fuel mileage and confuses everyone that hears it run. I can tow another truck behind the Dakota running 65-70mph and barely even push the throttle.

The truck has minimal vacuum equipment (even most of the OM617 vacuum stuff has been removed, save for vacuum to the transmission and the fuel shut off). And has ran perfectly for the last year (with routine maintenance, such as fuel filters, air filter, oil changes, periodic valve adjustments)

Recently though, in the last 2 months, I’ve noticed that when I start the truck for the first time each day, it will sometimes have no power for a short period of time, unless I let it idle for a while. Other times, it’s ready to go instantly.

I usually start the truck up, load my coffee, lunch, etc into the truck, roll a cigarette, buckle my seat belt and she’s ready to go. When it acts up, it won’t have any power, not instantly though. It’ll pull out of the parking space and 200 feet later require full throttle to move above an idle. By the time I reach the end of my driveway (about 1/8 mile from where I park), it’s running perfectly again and gives me no problems for the rest of the day.

My first thought was it had something to do with sitting overnight, but it sits longer when I’m at work and when I start it up to leave work, it never has this problem. Temperature (outside) has no effect on if this problem occurs or not.

I’m beginning to think an air leak might have developed in the fuel system and it’s periodically sucking in air, though it’s all new fuel lines and hoses (replaced a year ago), did the fuel filters in January, haven’t seen any fuel leaks either.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

05-21-2018, 01:25 PM #2
The other spot that air gets in is the o-rings that surround the delivery valves. They are where the injector lines meet up with the injection pump. Any sign of weeping diesel there tells you that they are leaking. Diesel out when running, air in when stopped.
AlanMcR
05-21-2018, 01:25 PM #2

The other spot that air gets in is the o-rings that surround the delivery valves. They are where the injector lines meet up with the injection pump. Any sign of weeping diesel there tells you that they are leaking. Diesel out when running, air in when stopped.

74Dusted
Naturally-aspirated

05-25-2018, 08:52 PM #3
Found the problem, strange, but the primary filter that I replaced not too long ago was sludged up with black crud.

Replaced both filters again, she runs like a champ. No problems whatsoever.

74Dusted
05-25-2018, 08:52 PM #3

Found the problem, strange, but the primary filter that I replaced not too long ago was sludged up with black crud.

Replaced both filters again, she runs like a champ. No problems whatsoever.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

05-26-2018, 12:20 PM #4
You probably got some water in the fuel.  There is probably algae growing in the tank.  Well, there is always algae in the tank, but the water is letting it grow quickly.  Be prepared for that to happen again.  Especially after some vigorous off-roading. Carry a spare filter.
This post was last modified: 05-26-2018, 12:20 PM by AlanMcR.
AlanMcR
05-26-2018, 12:20 PM #4

You probably got some water in the fuel.  There is probably algae growing in the tank.  Well, there is always algae in the tank, but the water is letting it grow quickly.  Be prepared for that to happen again.  Especially after some vigorous off-roading. Carry a spare filter.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average