STD Tuning Engine Crazy idea: Megasquirt an om617?

Crazy idea: Megasquirt an om617?

Crazy idea: Megasquirt an om617?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Freakshow
K26-2

03-21-2018, 01:07 PM #1
So yesterday I woke up with the hare brained idea that it might somehow be possible to do a Megasquirt conversion on an om617. At first thought, it seemed a relatively simple task; set up a trigger wheel/cam pos sensor, maf/map sensor, tps, coolant temp sensor etc etc, then plumb up a fuel rail with some injectors and bingo, done deal. 

Then I had my coffee and realized you need crazy short pulsewidths and very precise injector timing (obviously, no spark ignition, derp). So that's a setback, but Bosch has done it, so why can't I?(youthful naïveté) 

So deeper I went. I'm no Megasquirt expert, nor standalone ems expert, but I can set up a base map if I have to. So I did googling and reading on MS forums and some guys were working on it in in 2012 ish but then lost steam. Seems like they were making it more complicated than it needed to be (proper common rail Di setup with 5000psi pressure)

Seems to me that our idi engines might make for an easier conversion just because 130bar/2000psi is far less than the 5k you see on proper cdi. 

In any case, the aforementioned Megasquirt guys were basically trying to constantly adjust rail pressure to change fueling without modifying injector pulsewidth blah blah blah. They also were working on an injector driver so they could use the high voltage piezo injectors used commonly on cdi truck motors and vw tdis etc. 

I feel like there has to be an easier solution than that. Delphi makes some conventional solenoid style injectors that operate at up to 200bar, they're made for gasoline di engines, but I don't see how the injector could tell the difference : p 

If those injectors could be run by a sequentially by a ms, we could actually be in business. Just hook up a fuel rail and a high pressure pump and the aforementioned sensors and then fueling changes are as simple as modifying table values. 

I wonder if we're collectively clever enough to make this work? I admittedly have stacks more reading to do on the subject, but to me it seems like an exciting possible alternative to sending an IP across the Atlantic and back to be modified with larger elements. 

If anyone has pertinent experience or conjecture, I'm all ears because I'm just thinking out loud here. 
Freakshow
03-21-2018, 01:07 PM #1

So yesterday I woke up with the hare brained idea that it might somehow be possible to do a Megasquirt conversion on an om617. At first thought, it seemed a relatively simple task; set up a trigger wheel/cam pos sensor, maf/map sensor, tps, coolant temp sensor etc etc, then plumb up a fuel rail with some injectors and bingo, done deal. 

Then I had my coffee and realized you need crazy short pulsewidths and very precise injector timing (obviously, no spark ignition, derp). So that's a setback, but Bosch has done it, so why can't I?(youthful naïveté) 

So deeper I went. I'm no Megasquirt expert, nor standalone ems expert, but I can set up a base map if I have to. So I did googling and reading on MS forums and some guys were working on it in in 2012 ish but then lost steam. Seems like they were making it more complicated than it needed to be (proper common rail Di setup with 5000psi pressure)

Seems to me that our idi engines might make for an easier conversion just because 130bar/2000psi is far less than the 5k you see on proper cdi. 

In any case, the aforementioned Megasquirt guys were basically trying to constantly adjust rail pressure to change fueling without modifying injector pulsewidth blah blah blah. They also were working on an injector driver so they could use the high voltage piezo injectors used commonly on cdi truck motors and vw tdis etc. 

I feel like there has to be an easier solution than that. Delphi makes some conventional solenoid style injectors that operate at up to 200bar, they're made for gasoline di engines, but I don't see how the injector could tell the difference : p 

If those injectors could be run by a sequentially by a ms, we could actually be in business. Just hook up a fuel rail and a high pressure pump and the aforementioned sensors and then fueling changes are as simple as modifying table values. 

I wonder if we're collectively clever enough to make this work? I admittedly have stacks more reading to do on the subject, but to me it seems like an exciting possible alternative to sending an IP across the Atlantic and back to be modified with larger elements. 

If anyone has pertinent experience or conjecture, I'm all ears because I'm just thinking out loud here. 

AlanMcR
mind - blown

03-21-2018, 07:10 PM #2
Take out the original IP, install an electrically controlled IP off of an OM605, drive it with the MegaSquirt or better, use the original OM605 ECU. The drive authorization immobilizer can be bypassed.
AlanMcR
03-21-2018, 07:10 PM #2

Take out the original IP, install an electrically controlled IP off of an OM605, drive it with the MegaSquirt or better, use the original OM605 ECU. The drive authorization immobilizer can be bypassed.

baldur
Fast

03-21-2018, 08:35 PM #3
Megasquirt can't drive the electronic pump. It simply has none of the things required to do so in either the hardware or the software. And same goes for running common rail. It's not designed for a diesel, none of the strategies are compatible with a diesel.
Also, using the stock OM605 ECU in a retrofit like that is a waste of time. It's far easier to start with a system that is actually designed for that kind of thing.
This post was last modified: 03-21-2018, 08:40 PM by baldur.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
03-21-2018, 08:35 PM #3

Megasquirt can't drive the electronic pump. It simply has none of the things required to do so in either the hardware or the software. And same goes for running common rail. It's not designed for a diesel, none of the strategies are compatible with a diesel.
Also, using the stock OM605 ECU in a retrofit like that is a waste of time. It's far easier to start with a system that is actually designed for that kind of thing.

Baldur Gislason

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average